Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

regarding donation goal increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's covering his ass, Mr.Magma - it's called "due diligence", and he'd be stupid NOT to.

The "lawyer costs" are not "his fault" -- we use this resource that he provides. It's ludicrous that a company would sue LPF for a conversation that happens on it. Avery doesn't control the conversations, not can he screen and "mind control" anyone who comes in.

So yes. The owner of this forum got hit by a lawsuit, it looks like. And he's going to need some help from the community that uses it -- or it's going to go bye bye.

Personally, I think that it's absolutely crazy that a company would sue LPF for "conversations about taking their stuff apart" happening in it. But you don't have to have a valid reason to sue --- and it doesn't mean you'll win --- but it will cost money for LPF to defend, whether it's valid or not. That's usually the aim - to cause financial damages enough to just cause the person served to give up alltogether.

Really, what would you expect him to do?

Avery I'm a little low on funds atm, but when I recover a bit I'll push as much as I can Your way!

Gee I wonder what company that was. (Yes I'm being completely sarcastic. Where's a giant rolls eyes icon when I need one?) I honestly can't see what legal grounds this threat has but like aryntha said if you have enough money you don't need legal grounds when you want to bully a small company into submission. If they think they can stop people from harvesting the diodes they're nuts. That said I won't be buying anymore of their products anymore.

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thx for your support team. i only suspect the goal to be $800 for 1 or 2 months depending on how well we do.

have fun enjoy the site
peace
-ave

Razako

Big companies and government agencies try this bs all the time. Even if they don't have a valid case they know that they can afford the legal fees easily while they might be crippling to the individual. I'd probably donate a bit, but I got laid off a few weeks ago.

perhaps the raffle should be brought back? instead of "selling" raffles Avery could just give the name of people who donated to the forum along with the amount donated.

I may have caused a couple problems in the past, but it was a definitely a great way to bring in money for the forum.

daguin

perhaps the raffle should be brought back? instead of "selling" raffles Avery could just give the name of people who donated to the forum along with the amount donated.

I may have caused a couple problems in the past, but it was a definitely a great way to bring in money for the forum.

My concern with this is some busybody deciding to report it to PayPal and having PayPal freeze the LPF account for 180 days.

Peace,
dave

If this concerns what I think it does, then EFF 47 USC § 230 should be sufficient protection. I'm no lawyer of course, but I doubt there is any real case against LPF or it's admin. They could be trying to 'sue into submission" though..

DTR

If this is in regards to my tutorial I would not have a problem if it was taken down while the issue is worked out. But then again taking it down could be construed as admitting that we are in the wrong.:thinking:

Things

IMHO I don't really see why C45io are worried about it. If someone buys their product, they are free to do whatever they want with it, however it's their choice to do it, and they should be held liable if they end up blinding someone with it, since C45io did not design or intend for the product to be modified. I think it's just the name popping up on burning laser video's practicing dangerous acts.

daguin

IMHO I don't really see why C45io are worried about it. If someone buys their product, they are free to do whatever they want with it, however it's their choice to do it, and they should be held liable if they end up blinding someone with it, since C45io did not design or intend for the product to be modified. I think it's just the name popping up on burning laser video's practicing dangerous acts.

This is just what attorneys do. Their whole job is finding possible misuses of the name and/or potential product liabilities and challenging it. I don't think that even they think that this is a serious case. It is just what they do.

We don't have the resources to fight them, so as long as it looks like we are complying, there should be no problem

Peace,
dave

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i am on friendly terms with the people and everything should be fine going forward i think. its just the initial lawyer dealings costed some money. but we are giong to be fine. thx to mac for his $100 donation. i think at this rate we prob make up the lawyer fees in 1 or 2 month. overall LPF is in good shape sometimes the cost of doing business is just dealing with stuff like this.

have a good weekend team
peace
-ave

Tonga

i am on friendly terms with the people and everything should be fine going forward i think. its just the initial lawyer dealings costed some money. but we are giong to be fine. thx to mac for his $100 donation. i think at this rate we prob make up the lawyer fees in 1 or 2 month. overall LPF is in good shape sometimes the cost of doing business is just dealing with stuff like this.

have a good weekend team
peace
-ave

Avery, I will send some more funds this coming paycheck, thanks for all you guys do!:yh:

Status
Not open for further replies.