Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-Drive From Lazeerer

Benm

This looks very good - very well built buck driver!

Quite surprising how that chip can hold that high and output current stable with that small inductor on there.

@ the guys who wonder how it is done:

it's not a toster oven :D :D:D this may be done with a hot air soldering station ... I work with this kind of tools because I repair mobile phones... or an Infrared SMD&BGA Rework station ;)

nice driver great job :beer:

jib77

it's not a toster oven :D :D:D this may be done with a hot air soldering station ... I work with this kind of tools because I repair mobile phones... or an Infrared SMD&BGA Rework station ;)

It was a toaster oven, he already stated that and I helped him on how to do it. Hot air stations are good for reworking a single components or maybe doing one small board, but are bad for reflowing bigger boards or a batch of boards as they only cover a small area at a time. They are also bad because you have to set them to a temperature much higher than the recommended re-flow temperature. If you are not careful it is easy to exceed the IC's max temp rating and kill it, or kill the PCB with un-even expansion from un-even heating.

Or a toaster oven ;)

EDIT: Jib is faster than me.

Last edited:
Yes, As Rick said i used a Small Toaster Oven that He Recommended and gave me Detail Instructions on How to properly use this method. :bowdown:

It works extremely well when done correctly.:wave:

Here is Picture of the toaster oven i use.:)

P9070024.jpg

If you look inside the toasted you can pic up how i bent the rails to hold the boards. But what you can barely pick up is the thin wires used in between the rails that the boards actually site on.

Last edited:
^ I see your toaster Oven works with quartz heating elements, this have very good and fast heat response.

very good choice :beer:

It was an old toaster oven that i bought for school but i never used it so i figured i would put it to use.:evil:

I've used these drivers in a couple of builds now, and I absolutely love them!!!!!

They have become my favorite driver and what I will use in any build that will fit 2 cells.

Stable, cool, and easy to work with. What more could you ask for from a driver?

I have tried other drivers, and been dissapointed in every one of them. Flexdrivers are a decent single cell boost driver, but those little batards f.....g hate me and if I didn't HAVE to use them I'd drive stakes through their evil little resistors!

The X-Drivers are phenoemenal and for any of you that havent tried one in a build yet, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot.

Oh wait, if everyone were to start buying them supply and demand issues could pose a problem and I might be left out in the cold.

Yeah on second thought, you might not want to waste your time with these. What the hell was I thinking ::banghead:

lazeerer, once again I'm blown away by your talent! :beer:

Last edited:
I've used these drivers in a couple of builds now, and I absolutely love them!!!!!

They have become my favorite driver and what I will use in any build that will fit 2 cells.

Stable, cool, and easy to work with. What more could you ask for from a driver?

I have tried other drivers, and been dissapointed in every one of them. Flexdrivers are a decent single cell boost driver, but those little batards f.....g hate me and if I didn't HAVE to use them I'd drive stakes through their evil little resistors!

The X-Drivers are phenoemenal and for any of you that havent tried one in a build yet, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot.

Oh wait, if everyone were to start buying them supply and demand issues could pose a problem and I might be left out in the cold.

Yeah on second thought, you might not want to waste your time with these. What the hell was I thinking ::banghead:

lazeerer, once again I'm blown away by your talent! :beer:

Thank You. Iam Glad you like them alot.:wave: There is a Few of you recently that really really like them.:) Makes me happy to hear that.

Although the ones with the Pots or ADJ are Not available Now the Fixed versions are sold here and there.:)

The only thread i have to see the ones that i do sell is here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sold-out-mini-x-drive-v6s-mitsubishi-635nm-445nm-diodes-67938.html

The are much smaller then the ones in this thread.:cool:

Thanks to my good friend Jib77 for alot of the help on the X-Drive.:bowdown:

However there have been a couple different changes done to them so maybe i will post a new thread.:)

Thanks for the Feedback.:beer: Its alway welcomed and much appreciated.:wave:

:beer:

Last edited:
Great driver lazereer :D guess im going to pick one up later :D is their any chance you are going to release a mode driver in the future? Really want one but i cant find it :(

Greetings,,

rhd

I will add to the chorus here -

These are phenomenal drivers. They were used in the first direct-green diode handheld build (hehe :)) and I've used them in a few builds since.

I know that these are still a bit of a labour of love for Lazeerer, but I truly think these would be great candidates for a DrLava-style mass-production run of like 1,000 pcs. These are the most flexible bucks I've come across. My only complaint is that there aren't more of them out there in the world!

Great driver lazereer :D guess im going to pick one up later :D is their any chance you are going to release a mode driver in the future? Really want one but i cant find it :(

Greetings,,

If i find a less Expensive way to make in a smaller package Sure, but i dont see that being available soon enough.:( But iam still looking into it and will try to fill that request.:)

I will add to the chorus here -

These are phenomenal drivers. They were used in the first direct-green diode handheld build (hehe :)) and I've used them in a few builds since.

I know that these are still a bit of a labour of love for Lazeerer, but I truly think these would be great candidates for a DrLava-style mass-production run of like 1,000 pcs. These are the most flexible bucks I've come across. My only complaint is that there aren't more of them out there in the world!

Thank You.:beer:

Iam happy to hear this.:) Yes these do take me some time to assemble due to all the small parts and what my setup is like and maybe eventually i can make a large amount of these out source somewhere and keep the price around the same .

Having the ability to have a driver with a 0-2000mA range and not needing a heatsink for the larger majority of that range is awesome.:cool: As well having a Input voltage range fro 6v-15V is also a plus. I dont care so much for single cell builds. For the most part most single cell builds can fit 2 cells.

I will try and get more of these available. But for now usually i can keep up with any request for anyone that wants an X-Drive.:)

Iam very happy with this driver and I'm glad to hear all of you that ever bought one feel the same.:wave:

:thanks:

Very nice design! I'm amazed how it can run at 1.9A and not need any heat sinking! Any word on the price yet? It's good to see that you're trying to make it much cheaper than FlexDrives, the price of them really puts me off on building any one cell builds. Good luck and keep us updated!

Very nice design! I'm amazed how it can run at 1.9A and not need any heat sinking! Any word on the price yet? It's good to see that you're trying to make it much cheaper than FlexDrives, the price of them really puts me off on building any one cell builds. Good luck and keep us updated!

I have to open up a new thread on these because the ones in this thread are not available.

The ones iam selling now need heatsink after 1.7A if you want to run it continuous. However at 1.8A they can run for ~2 minutes without heatsink before it goes into thermal protection. Usually if you running a laser that hard you try to fallow a good short duty cycle so although i will recommend to heatsink the driver above 1.7A you make your own choose weather you want to do it according to what i said above.:)

The Flex drive is a good driver and its well priced for what it is.! However when you have to but 2 to get 1.8A then thats pricey for a build. "Nas nothing to do with the price of the flex but more the price to get 1.8A"

I sell my drivers for $16 + Shipping.

Not sure how long i can keep it there.

The ones that iam selling now are not the ones in this thread which are the ADJ. I sell the Mini X Drive's that are Fixed Here is what it looks like.

PA100289.jpg

Last edited:

jakeGT

I'm still hoarding my adjustable 445 x-drive and my 635nm x-drive ;)

Will be saving them for some sexy builds