Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Testing of the New 650nm/660nm 5W Diode.!

The way I make heatsinks for it is to take a flat slab of aluminium and drill a small hole and tap it. Then use a flathead (counter sink) screw to hold it in place, you don't need it to be very tight. It also helps to put a dab of thermal paste in between the diode and heatsink.

If you have one of those old b&w labbies crack it open and check out how they mount the diode. :)

that sounds pretty easy, what size counter sunk bolt do you use?

that sounds pretty easy, what size counter sunk bolt do you use?

I think the c mount diodes are made for M2. I'll have to check. They have to be pretty small.

Edit, found it:
The C-mount should be attached to the heatsink using a small screw with a #2–56 (english)
or M-2 (metric) thread. The C-mount has a shallow counterbore around the mounting hole, for
applications which require close mounting of a component in front of the laser. A shallow
binding-head screw, or a button-head cap screw can be used in this situation.

Indium foil would be even better. I can get 200pcs made pre cut for C-mount diode for these.:)

That would be much better since most of the good thermal pastes don't conduct electricity which is needed. :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Count them.! 18 bond wires.LOL What a beast of a diode:

:eek:

As promised some beam shots.:)

At 4.2W

Little Fog was in the air. I blew a few puffs of my E-Cig into the room and thats it.:)

Wow I hope you didnt burn a hole in the wall! :crackup: cheers :beer:

So, if I let the cats in the lab when I test this out, they can get that much needed weight loss!

There's just the burnt hair smell to deal with..

BONDWIRES.jpg

Wow never thought that we will see red diodes with that high output before the 445nm would have reach this goal ...

Nice review man ! :) Thanks for sharing :beer:

I got 2 coming in to test and I do not know what I will make a hand held or a lab setup .

Last edited:
Is there a way to avoid that enormous dot in the last picture?

Can these operate without TEC?

Is there a way to avoid that enormous dot in the last picture?

Can these operate without TEC?
I would not run it with out using TEC ,but that is just me ,C mount can get hot fast and blow I will use a fan and TEC. I think I can get the beam looking good .I have done it on some 5w 808nm .

Last edited:
Greetings,

Never really been much of a 638nm fan, but with a diode this powerful I can see I will need to update my sig.
WoW

Moe

Back