Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If Someone Broke into your House???

jakeGT

hollow points eh
my beretta 92fs 9mm and my glock 37 .45gap are my fav's

Tonga

You are correct, thank you. I didn't want to go into specifics about ammunition rounds and was just making a general statement. I figured if one was to actually go into a gun shop and ask about home defense they would recommend a frangible round to them for a pistol, and subsequently recommend a newer gun owner a 9mm due to the cost of larger rounds.

EDIT: Personally I like Glocks, and my Glock 20 is my favorite. It even goes with me on camping trips to keep me safe from unscrupulous locals/hikers and aggressive game.

Yeah, I didn't really want to go into specifics either the range here is large. But you are right on with the shotgun and a lot of people keep them ready for just that. Its just that when things go bad with a home invasion they go real bad real fast and a shotgun will more than help you out very quickly. Be safe friend.

if someone broke into my house and seems to be hostile against me or my family, I would surely blind him with 2W 445 and put him to sleep later. After all, a dead guy does not serve as an evidence. ;)
After all, thugs are only thugs. Here where I live, the criminality is very higher than other contries (eg USA), the jails are overcrowded (800 arrested, 250 room), so probably the police would arrest it, interrogate him and release him, so he can broke in more houses, kill more people etc.

for those who defend human rights, think about flaming me: if someone point a gun on you ready to kill you, would you blind him, or wait to have a bullet on your head? That is your choice, you can choose between 90% chance of dying or turn into a vegetable, or 50% of hit the guy in the eye and smash his head with a big rock or anything. I went through something similar and.. I prefer the 50%.

Might be a ugly post but.. I hate this type of thing and I just a better world for everyone. :(

Do any of our non american members worry about home invasion?

Not really, as no-one owns guns in the UK, so a good old cricket bat should suffice if someone came into my house, which is really unlikely anyway.

There are bigger things to worry about than people breaking in to steal my (not very) valuables

Rob

Not really, as no-one owns guns in the UK, so a good old cricket bat should suffice if someone came into my house, which is really unlikely anyway.

There are bigger things to worry about than people breaking in to steal my (not very) valuables

Rob

They own bazookas here in my country ;)

Rio's Bazooka

I like this

Rob

Rich Z

With that said, please invest in a Remington 870 Magnum Express shotgun, grab some double aught or triple aught shells and keep it ready for use if you so ever need to us it. Of course, keep in mind the environment as well. If you live alone you don't have to worry about kids or stupid adults playing with a loaded weapon. I would also recommend getting a 16" barrel and pistol grip stock. This is just to make it easier to wield in a home. If you've ever had a 22" barrel and rifle stocked shotgun you know what I mean. One last thing to consider is that if you live in apartments shotgun shot could injure your neighbors from going through walls into their residence. Pistol rounds will have less penetrating power in walls and such due to the lower momentum, but will be a lot more difficult to land a shot on your target without regular practice on your weapon.

Uh, in the USA it is illegal to have a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long unless you have a federal permit for it.

As for this idea of using a laser for self defense, bear in mind that in a dark house, your shining a suitably high powered laser will probably temporarily blind YOU as well. The beam hitting ANY light colored surface will be QUITE bright, with your pupils fully dilated in the dark.

Which brings up something else that needs to be mentioned. If you fire a gun in a dark room, the muzzle flash WILL blind you. And the muzzle blast will likely knock out your ability to HEAR as well. So make your FIRST shot count, because it may be your ONLY shot.

And lastly, your stated PURPOSE of self defense should be to STOP an attack, not KILL the intruder. NEVER use the word KILL when the cops show up to investigate, otherwise you're going to find yourself on the wrong side of a prosecuting attorney. Your intent was to STOP the attack by whatever force necessary to do so. If the perpetrators death resulted from the effort of stopping him, then that is his fault. When talking with an investigator, when your brain thinks "KILL", your mouth should say "STOP".

Oh and about the comment about the lack of penetration power of handgun ammo. Seriously, you believe that? Try setting up sheets of plyboard and see how many a 9mm will EASILY penetrate.

In close quarters even bird shot gets decent penetration because the shot pattern hasn't had a chance to spread.
You take a 12G load of even a light little #8 trap load to the leg and you will be helpless for the follow up shot to the head.
Reloading and shooting again "to make sure" will probably look bad in court so remember to pull your plug and hold the extra 2 shells ;)

"I just used trap loads your honor, I didn't think that it would kill anyone, just stop them" ^_^
I know of a guy that supplied hydroshok slugs to the SWAT for a while, those things are downright mean.
If you wanted to make sure you could also make some "hot" loads with 00 buck. They are hard on the return spring in semi-autos but at that point that is the least of your concern.
*just a side note here* Popular brands of shotgun shells don't leave forensics much evidence (if you pick up your spent shells)

Happy hunting!

Uh, in the USA it is illegal to have a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long unless you have a federal permit for it.

As I learned in the Army, there is a waiver for everything. There are legal ways to own a barrel shorter in length than 18".

And lastly, your stated PURPOSE of self defense should be to STOP an attack, not KILL the intruder. NEVER use the word KILL when the cops show up to investigate, otherwise you're going to find yourself on the wrong side of a prosecuting attorney.

Excellent advice.

Oh and about the comment about the lack of penetration power of handgun ammo. Seriously, you believe that? Try setting up sheets of plyboard and see how many a 9mm will EASILY penetrate.

I didn't mean to say they had a lack of penetrating power, simply that 1760ftlbs. shotgun shot is much greater than 300-500ftlbs. pistol rounds. Again I was making a huge generalization, as I mentioned before.

Tonga

As I learned in the Army, there is a waiver for everything. There are legal ways to own a barrel shorter in length than 18".

Excellent advice.

I didn't mean to say they had a lack of penetrating power, simply that 1760ftlbs. shotgun shot is much greater than 300-500ftlbs. pistol rounds. Again I was making a huge generalization, as I mentioned before.

You were in the Army man? Way to go man! I was Air Force. Yeah there is just about a way around everything especially with military, pretty cool. You're right on with the info thanks.

There are a couple of shotguns built from factory with very short barrels, the fact that they are unmodified makes them immune to the "no barrel shorter than" laws ;)

awesome54.jpg

Thought this was pretty good ^_^

Last edited:

Rich Z

There are a couple of shotguns built from factory with very short barrels, the fact that they are unmodified makes them immune to the "no barrel shorter than" laws ;)

I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada concerning short barrelled shotguns, but having one in the USA can land you in federal prison. A short barrelled shotgun cannot be legally manufactured without the requisite permit(s).
A factory made short barrelled shotgun cannot be sold to private individuals without a federal tax stamp and associated paperwork.

I'm not hear to argue such points. I don't want anyone to get into trouble believing something that is false. Telling the BATF that you THOUGHT it was legal will not be a suitable defense in court.

IIRC the Barrel must be over 16" to be legal in the U.S. I Think at onetime the statutes allowed 14" because the Carbines & shotguns used on horse back needed to be compact.

Rich Z

IIRC the Barrel must be over 16" to be legal in the U.S. I Think at onetime the statutes allowed 14" because the Carbines & shotguns used on horse back needed to be compact.

Shotguns and rifles are defined differently under federal law. Shotguns must have a barrel length of at least 18 inches. Rifles must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches. Of course, there is the issue of putting a rifled slug barrel on a shotgun, and I honestly don't know the answer to that one concerning what must be the minimum legal barrel length then.

Also note that the overall length of the entire rifle or shotgun must be at least 26 inches. But there are a couple of exceptions to this ruling.

This all came about via a gun law passed in 1934.