Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If Someone Broke into your House???

What if someone broke into your house. Do you think you would get in trouble for Blinding them? Under the idea your Defending you Life. Just curious what you guys thinks the Judge would say???

I don't really know and thats why I'm asking. I think it would be a "non-Lethal" Way to defend yourself. Just wonder what you think.

It would make perfect sense in the US that you would be able to shot and kill someone (intruding your house) but if you blind them in self defense I'm sure you get a lawsuit...

EDIT: Just to make sure everyone reading this understands, I am in No way saying use your laser as a weapon Ever. I'm just saying if your under attack in your own home and defending your self lawfully then what would happen? I in no way plain on doing this I'm just thinking hypothetically what if.

Last edited:

GBD

Id rather shoot them then risk a lawsuit (by the intruder against you) for blinding them.
(and a dead guy is probably even less dangerous to you then a pissed of blind guy)

Also, this way there is only one side of the story.
I dont know much about this legal stuff myself, but Im sure if your life is in danger, I think that grounds for lethal force. And I did hear stories where the intruder has successfully sued the homeowner for using a non-lethal force against them.
but as I said, those are stories I heard, and not confirmed legal fact.
However, a fact would be that a gun is better for you as defence then a laser.

Id love to hear from someone here on the matter with actual legal knowledge and experience though.

Last edited:
Id rather shoot them then risk a lawsuit (by the intruder against you) for blinding them.
(and a dead guy is probably even less dangerous to you then a pissed of blind guy)

Also, this way there is only one side of the story.
I dont know much about this legal stuff myself, but Im sure if your life is in danger, I think that grounds for lethal force. And I did hear stories where the intruder has successfully sued the homeowner for using a non-lethal force against them.
but as I said, those are stories I heard, and not confirmed legal fact.
However, a fact would be that a gun is better for you as defence then a laser.

Id love to hear from someone here on the matter with actual legal knowledge and experience though.

You can get sued by someone if they get hurt in your home, yes. This has been discussed before, the laser for home/personal defense thing, and it's generally considered a dumb idea to use a laser for self/home defense, you're trying to hit a small target with a small dot, in the dark. Plus, if they've got a gun you're giving them an easy shot to where you are if they haven't seen you yet.

@GBD: See Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some info on lethal force use.

You can get sued by someone if they get hurt in your home, yes. This has been discussed before, the laser for home/personal defense thing, and it's generally considered a dumb idea to use a laser for self/home defense, you're trying to hit a small target with a small dot, in the dark. Plus, if they've got a gun you're giving them an easy shot to where you are if they haven't seen you yet.

@GBD: See Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some info on lethal force use.

Ah this makes me want to get a 980 nm.......

GBD

IMO, If I was the guy.. Id take and shove that 980nM where the sun dont shine.
unless offcoarse that 980nM is in the order of several kW.. then I guess you can go for it.

Spend the money on a real handgun or rifle instead, and a licence (I dont know exactly the law for arms ownership in the California, US) it will be far more efficient and effective at saving you.

Last edited:
I'd rather blind someone than kill them personally, if someone broke in I'm disabled so running isn't really a option.

joeyss

You could always use it as a dazzler if it's a high powered focusable one , but remember you only get one chance to scare the !@#$ out of someone and give them temporary blindness at the same time.

GBD

Then what?

Krogith stated that he is disabled, if a dazzler is your only line of defence, and now you just pissed the hell out of the person for shinning that thing into thier eyes... that doesnt look too good for you.

Your better off hiding and calling the police then trying to use just a laser against them.

joeyss

That's why I was saying you only get one chance at scaring them so you better have something planned if you blind them.

Then what?

Krogith stated that he is disabled, if a dazzler is your only line of defence, and now you just pissed the hell out of the person for shinning that thing into thier eyes... that doesnt look too good for you.

Your better off hiding and calling the police then trying to use just a laser against them.

LOL i appreciate your concern. I'm disabled from a car accident and only have Pain going down my back into my right leg. It prevents me from walking and have to use a Cain, going out of the house for long distances I use a wheel chair but everything on my Body works just fine.

Blinding a person for some time (or more) would be all I would need to give me the time I needed.

joeyss

Word of advice a laser WILL not blind an entire eye unless it's over 500mw or you shine it into the eye for a few seconds due to them moving fast. It'll just cause an instant and permanent blind spot to where it hits. You're very likely to piss some person off.

Last edited:
I suggest throwing the laser very hard at their head instead of trying to dazzle them, it'll probably be more effective.

joeyss

It could be effective if you use it as a gun sight and stun the person and then shoot him.

GBD

It could be effective if you use it as a gun sight and stun the person and then shoot him.

Or do what I said in the first place, shoot the guy and be done with it.
If you really want to, use it as a sight to aim on your target.. not stun it..

Tonga

LOL i appreciate your concern. I'm disabled from a car accident and only have Pain going down my back into my right leg. It prevents me from walking and have to use a Cain, going out of the house for long distances I use a wheel chair but everything on my Body works just fine.

Blinding a person for some time (or more) would be all I would need to give me the time I needed.

Sorry about the accident and results, can't they decompress the the nerve at it sounds like L5 and the sacrum for you?
You also need to consider a gun if you are worried about an intruder. Intruders don't play around and go ouch if you poke them or lase them,.. they will kill you and your loved ones with exuberance and not think twice about it. A lot of affordable options are available. Personally I like a Glock chambered in .357 Sig it does a lot of damage real fast and your intruder is not likely to get back up. Don't mess with a toy on something that can and will kill you!!