Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A-140 vs. M-140 vs. H1600

Good for you, rhd :D DTR is the source still. Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve!

rhd

Hey,

Thanks all for the kind words :)

I just found a 9mm 445 sitting in a drawer. It must have been from that very first group-buy projector DTR did when the projector first hit the market. Is that the same as the 9mm diodes being used to hit 3.5W? Or should I grab a fresh diode now?

I'm just realizing that I have a ton of laser gear that I should pass along to some other people.

DTR

Hey,

Thanks all for the kind words :)

I just found a 9mm 445 sitting in a drawer. It must have been from that very first group-buy projector DTR did when the projector first hit the market. Is that the same as the 9mm diodes being used to hit 3.5W? Or should I grab a fresh diode now?

I'm just realizing that I have a ton of laser gear that I should pass along to some other people.

It is probably the same as the new ones. Keep in mind a 3.5W capable diode is very rare. I don't bin them so I can't vouch for the ratio but Rick Trent who does for his kits said it is about one diode in every projector of 24 diodes that can hit that high and to do so you have to drive it really hard. He is driving them @ 2.56A to get there and most still only hit 3W. It is suggested for best life to stick 2.3A and under. @ 2.3A the average ratio is 2.6W-3.1W.:beer:

Last edited:

rhd

It is probably the same as the new ones. Keep in mind a 3.5W capable diode is very rare. I don't bin them so I can't vouch for the ratio but Rick Trent who does for his kits said it is about one diode in every projector of 24 diodes that can hit that high and to do so you have to drive it really hard. He is driving them @ 2.56A to get there and most still only hit 3W. It is suggested for best life to stick 2.3A and under. @ 2.3A the average ratio is 2.6W-3.1W.:beer:

Hey DTR. It's good to hear from you.

I see - I was under the impression that it was a lot more common. Is anyone doing wavelength binning these days? If so, is there still an inverse relationship between efficiency and wavelength?

What's the best buck out there for 3x lithium voltage input, and a 2.3A output? It looks like you're redirecting the X-Drive link to CajunLasers, but he's out of stock. I couldn't find anything, in stock, on your site that would buck to 2.3A. I had a magic-enabled buck of my own towards the end of my rabid involvement in the hobby ;) I never did anything with it publicly. If I can find the PCBs, I might just reflow one up for my project - but I wouldn't mind buying pre-built if there's something good out there.

Well, my BlitzBuck will be re-entering the market again soon (releasing the V4 now - just making sure everything is up to par). Other than that, it's good to have you back :D

DTR

Hey DTR. It's good to hear from you.

I see - I was under the impression that it was a lot more common. Is anyone doing wavelength binning these days? If so, is there still an inverse relationship between efficiency and wavelength?

What's the best buck out there for 3x lithium voltage input, and a 2.3A output? It looks like you're redirecting the X-Drive link to CajunLasers, but he's out of stock. I couldn't find anything, in stock, on your site that would buck to 2.3A. I had a magic-enabled buck of my own towards the end of my rabid involvement in the hobby ;) I never did anything with it publicly. If I can find the PCBs, I might just reflow one up for my project - but I wouldn't mind buying pre-built if there's something good out there.

Yes wavelength/efficiency is still inversely proportional. That is why I always get a chuckle when people are overly concerned or pay a mint for a high efficiency diode when they all in the end are about the same brightness when driven with the same current. Unless you want a specific wavelength or a warm fuzzy feeling when you put i on a LPM it is for the most part a non issue.:)

Yes there is the X-drive, blitzbuck and the Foulmist IDRV3 all of are good drivers.:beer:

94Z28

Is this 2.3A and under suggestion for the M or A series diode, and at 2.3A what would the duty cycle be with an average heatsink (IE: 501b host) if you could even estimate this...

From what I have read seems like most people run these diodes from 1.8-2.2A but at what point are you really pushing the "lifespan" of your diode?

Sorry if this is the wrong place, just starting to research these 445nm diodes more and questions are popping up.

Hi 94Z,
The M and A 140' diode are run at anywhere from 1A to 1.8A . A140's at 1.8A will do around 1900mW to were the M140's will do 2+W's . They are both 5.6mm diodes to where the NDB7875 is a 9mm diode and ran at 2.4A's . And yes the A140 and M140 will be ok in a 501b host with a duty cycle of 60 on and 30 off with 2-18350 batteries AW or Efest cells ..

Rich:)

94Z28

Hi 94Z,
The M and A 140' diode are run at anywhere from 1A to 1.8A . A140's at 1.8A will do around 1900mW to were the M140's will do 2+W's . They are both 5.6mm diodes to where the NDB7875 is a 9mm diode and ran at 2.4A's . And yes the A140 and M140 will be ok in a 501b host with a duty cycle of 60 on and 30 off with 2-18350 batteries AW or Efest cells ..

So 1.8a is a safe amperage to push an A OR M series diode and maintain diode lifespan? Thanks rich.

Last edited:

AngelG

LOL, that's how the science is made ! Or probably the hacking :)
I mean how you preprocessed the QR code to get this:
[A Series]
1: 3304808762
[M Series]
1: 3304940224
[H Series]
1: 3305273097

IMHO, this marking contains codes for year, month, series and production facility (if they have more than one). To get the position of datetime, we need to compare several codes from same diode type (say M140).

Last edited:

m3vuv

Hi all,im not sure if this is where to post but here goes,ive got a 450nm nichia m-140 diode,with the note the seller sent it said quote:max safe power 1400ma constant max 1800ma pulsed,i thought these were good for 2amp,any idea of the max constant current these can take without gong kaput?,cheers Paul m3vuv.

Hi,
Your M140 diode runs at 1.8A driver setting, you should get around 2W+ if the diode is efficient with aG2 lens. These diodes have good divergence and are good burners. Drivers can be found at DTR laser shop or Survival lasers websites.