Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x Murder Fund! + Graph!

Re: 12x Murder Fund! (Complete!)

Yeah... I was wondering the same thing... That's the 2nd time I've
noticed that this week...

@ Dave... do you mean that it can only be changed once...:thinking:

Jerry

HIMNL9

Probably c0ld added expiration date to the time title change parameter.

Edit: oops, Dave and Jerry beatened me in speed :p

daguin

Cool, about time. Thanks Dave.

I didn't do it.

I haven't tried changing it more than once. I'll go try it in my FS thread (this thread isn't mine)

**EDIT** I just did a second change in my FS thread. YEA!

Peace,
dave

to change your own thread tittle, just view it from the outside (like go into the BST section) and double click to the right of your thread tittle. Kenom showed me :)

IgorT I think you should begin the same way like with the 8x's. But not as long until you reach higher currents.

Igor;

The 8X diodes are most likely 250 mw.

The 12X diodes are most likely 320 mw.

That is 28% more pulse power.

So, since the weak 8X has survived over 150 hours @ 300ma, (edited 12/10/09)

the average 12X should easily survive at 390 ma (128% of 300ma).

Just food for thought.

You have the final decision of course.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

mfo

Igor;

The 8X diodes are most likely 250 mw.

The 12X diodes are most likely 320 mw.

That is 28% more pulse power.

So, since the weak 8X has survived over 30 hours @ 300ma,

the average 12X should easily survive at 384 ma (128% of 300ma).

Just food for thought.

You have the final decision of course.

LarryDFW

How/why do you conclude that?

Larry has done lots of reading and research. I believe that when he says the 8x is 250mW, he's referring to the power that the manufacturer designed them to run at. But of course we like to over drive diodes.

IgorT

How/why do you conclude that?

Larry dug up some charts showing the pulsed power requirements for different speed writers.

Before that we didn't have much info on actual requirements... We've been guessing for a while that 6x's require 100mW CW / 200mW Pulsed. This seemed to be somewhat confirmed, when i tested the 100mW CW Nichia and except for the different aspect ratio (rounder beam) it behaved exactly like a 6x.. Altho 6x's could be the 105 / 210mW Sharp diode, but this is just another guess..

The charts Larry posted in his thread about 12x writers a while ago show 200mW for 6x's, 240-250mW for 8x's and 300mW for 12x's (drive manufacturers always think in PULSED power)...

The charts confirmed our guesses about the 6x's and for the first time gave us an idea of the actual ratings of the diodes we use...

The reason i said 300-320mW is because the charts say 300mW, but Sony shows a 320mW pulsed diode on their web page as designed for 12x's (i am not sure if it says "In Production" or still just "Planned" tho).

And since we don't know which manufacturer's diode Pioneer went with, i think we should start with a "safer" assumption of 300mW pulsed and go from there...

Larry calculated a current which would be as much higher (in percentage) as the rating of the diode is, when suggesting a test current...

I don't think it works like that Larry

We don't really know how it works. That's why i was wondering how "flexible" which diode is, when it comes to how far they can be overdriven.
Clearly there is a big difference between GGWs and 8x's.. The 6x's can go to approximatelly two and a half times their rated CW power, the 8x's as high as three to four times!

Since the behavior is different, we need to take a carefull approach to testing the 12x.

Clearly we are interested in AT LEAST the powers the best 8x's can already reach (and then some)! And high efficiency 8x's are reaching 500mW+ at 360mA...

Maybe we should start at 360mA, and check after five and ten hours, and if the diode is not degrading too rapidly, go from there.

P.S. It does not seem likelly, that the second 8x will die before the 12x gets here (not that i want it to!), so i'll need another heatsink capable of keeping the 12x cool, so i can cycle two diodes at once. I'll also need to get another counter and make a second sensor.

The 8x at "only" 300mA warms up to 28°C with an ambient temperature of around 20°C, even tho it's off half the time...

The 12x will create more heat than this. I was thinking of a heatsink with a flat side i could mount onto a finned heatsink and add a fan to it..

Last edited:

IgorT

I bought a new Counter today for the 12x Murder Experiment, to expand the "Torture Chamber"...

This one is a little fancier (it'll require a whole control panel full of buttons, just to make it work, has alarms that can let me know when a certain number of counts is reached or even stop the cycler at preset intervals!), and has one digit more, meaning in minutes it can count up to 16.666h, which is WAY more than we will ever need.

I also had a Modwerx lab-heatsink ordered to me, i will most likelly put it on top of a finned heatsink with a fan on the side, to keep it as close to ambient temperature as possible. Hopefully it gets here quickly enough to start the 12x Murder Experiment without delay...

I prepared a new sensor for the 12x, i realized a GITD tailcap from DX makes the best diffuser possible, since the entire thing glows when hit by 405nm (and it doesn't melt that easily - the previous one started smoking the moment i turned the cycler ON).. I should probably change the existing sensor as well...

I'll have the electronics ready by the time the diode gets here :yh:

Really looking forward to torturing, sorry, i meant testing this one... :whistle:

maxh

The GITD tailcap diffuser isn't going to continue glowing for the full "off" minute and cause the sensor to miss the count, is it?