Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Unacceptable Language

When I speak with friends, I cuss like a drunken sailor. I even cuss when I lecture.

I worked in construction for 13 years before I went back to school. Expletives are part of my life.

However, when I type to post, I (mostly:yabbem:) proofread my posts before hitting "submit." Even if one slips through my original typing, it gets replaced or edited before posting ;)

The moderators cannot catch them all. We ALL have to keep our eyes open for such things.

The "report post" button (
report.gif
) is your friend too ;)

Peace,
dave

I'm glad to hear someone made it back to school after working so long, defiantly gives me hope.

I KNOW I need to go to school, but the money....

As to not threadjack, is F#$k really any better than the real deal? I mean it's not like we don't know what you mean. I know I've done it before, but is it really necessary to use or allude to such language?

daguin

As to not threadjack, is F#$k really any better than the real deal? I mean it's not like we don't know what you mean. I know I've done it before, but is it really necessary to use or allude to such language?

No it is not, mostly because neither really have any power beyond our own perceptions. They are the same thing. However, those perceptions are what drive the tensions associated with the word. We have to live with those tensions. Part of the moderators' job is to reduce that tension so we can focus on the topic.

Peace,
dave

Tonga

Thanks again Dave for all you do, however, I have seen one from the Las Vegas area that needs a bar of soap crammed in mouth!

daguin

Thanks again Dave for all you do, however, I have seen one from the Las Vegas area that needs a bar of soap crammed in mouth!

The mods cannot catch everything. I do not believe that ANYONE could read all of the posts here. If you see a problem post, please click on the "report post" button (
report.gif
) to let us know.

Peace,
dave

the f-bomb can be great. but power of the word, in my opinion is actually saying it LoL. in text it looks trashy.... So yeah. i'm with dave on this.

The problem with the F bomb is that if it's used to much in a post it loses it's power anyway.

I personally have to agree with Dave here too.

My thought is that there are over 170,000 words in the English language. If you can't express your 'elegant distaste' for something without the usage of cussing, then you need to learn some new words. I RARELY swear in real life, partially because I feel I can emphasize a point without the need to, but because there's no room for it in my profession. You can still make the exact same emphasis without the word, but most people can't be bothered to find an appropriate substitute for the online world.

That being said, when upset, sometimes it feels better to let it out but again, this is the online world. It's interesting how the language has become such a part of many peoples online vernacular.

I guess the only side note I can suggest is that some folks have english as a second/third/fourth language and the swear words don't carry the same weight, which is why they get tossed around so freely. Obviously some non-native English speakers understand, however I do find that when one learns a new language it's the swear words one will learn first to try and 'fit in' or be seen as more fluent in daily language.

Anyway, I digress - point is I think an appropriate emphasis can be made without the need to swear, particularly with an online forum but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
ugh. please don't go overboard with this. I don't like posts that use profanity every other word either but I loathe forums that take it to the opposite extreme even more.

Just curious, if we're reporting an incident or telling a story.

E.g. "Then he said "_____" and walked out."

Are we then allowed to indicate what word the person used?

anselm

It's probably OK as long as it doesn't feature prominently in the thread title.

arse and bloody aren't really that bad, I don't have a problem with those, but when F*** is used every 2nd word, it looses it's meaning and just makes the place look like a mess.

bloody arse is pretty bad tho, i luckely done have a problem with that either

:crackup:

ps: im not a native english speeker, but i think i do pretty alright, i might occasionally have a spelling mistake, but if i where to talk to u in person, u prolly would not even be able to tell i was a foreigner.

If someone where to get me engry or whatever, and i would actually swear in a post (i doubt this will ever happen), i would ATLEAST mask it with some ***'s ..

I do also use "sms language", like prolly, ppl, nvm, that kind of stuff, i hope this is ok ...

Sam from Belgium

Last edited:
Hmm... The terms of use of this forum says you must be of age of majority in your area to access or use the forum in any way.

But there seem to be quite a few underage users (me included) and people seem to accept them as long as they're responsible with their lasers.

Hmm... The terms of use of this forum says you must be of age of majority in your area to access or use the forum in any way.

But there seem to be quite a few underage users (me included) and people seem to accept them as long as they're responsible with their lasers.

:shhh:

don't think I ever dropped any f bombs here but if I did, sorry, I was in the army 11 years and IRL I can be describing QED theory using nothing but profanity. I got kicked out of cub scouts for cussing in church as a boy. Keep up the good work Daguin, if I use profanity on this forum PM me I will donate 2$ for every oops I utter at the end of the month. haha even the WTF emoticon is WTH nice.

:gj:

Well then... we'll be keeping a special eye on you....:eg:

don't think I ever dropped any f bombs here but if I did, sorry, I was in the army 11 years and IRL I can be describing QED theory using nothing but profanity. I got kicked out of cub scouts for cussing in church as a boy. Keep up the good work Daguin, if I use profanity on this forum PM me I will donate 2$ for every oops I utter at the end of the month. haha even the WTF emoticon is WTH nice.

:gj:

You can swear but don't be blatant about it...
Something like "I've got a F%&$ing headache".... :D

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited: