Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should canned posts be allowed?

Should canned messages be permitted on LPF?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
LB is an asset to the forum folks. I know full well he could be a little abrasive, but he could also be a very good person to have in your corner, when he so chooses. Let's not rock the boat to hard in regards to his greetings there was a time when he was practically the only greeter here, so what if he has streamed lined it, kudos for him. He used to have personalized greetings well before the new format, later even IIRC.

To challenge his products go ahead he has a huge advantage in time, and research, development... I'm not so inclined to jump on the bash jerry wagon just because I've seen what happens when you back a big dog into a corner.

I would like to see him submit a pic of his handhelds or a build once in a while... Hint, hint. J/k.

Last edited:

sinner

LB is an asset to the forum folks. I know full well he could be a little abrasive, but he could also be a very good person to have in your corner, when he so chooses. Let's not rock the boat to hard in regards to his greetings there was a time when he was practically the only greeter here, so what if he has streamed lined it, kudos for him. He used to have personalized greetings well before the new format, later even IIRC.

To challenge his products go ahead he has a huge advantage in time, and research, development... I'm not so inclined to jump on the bash jerry wagon just because I've seen what happens when you back a big dog into a corner.

I would like to see him submit a pic of his handhelds or a build once in a while... Hint, hint. J/k.

True that, Well i kind of agree to this and i dont have a problem with his signature if this conversation gets turned into values rather than facts! And i do like his into and find him very professional and dedicated to what he does!

Last edited:
On the subject of jacking up someone's post count, I see some of the most inane posts that the only reason they are written have to be to jack up their count .Since I was accused of double posting (wrongly) a few months ago and even received a negative reputation levied against me by a forum biggie( who in fairness to him, said he was upset and took it out on me, and apologized) I have done most of business through PM's, and not used the forum for personal business

As long as we have the attention of the mods, I have a question.

Is there a way for us lowly members to delete our irrelevant threads? Please?

IsaacT

I don't like 'em I tell ya! I have nothing against any of the people who use copy&paste methods when replying to people in the welcome section, but it really gets on my nerves because the second I see their avatar at the top of their posts, I know I just need to scroll 3 or 4 times(maybe 5 or 6 for those who have long signatures) because there will literally be no original thought in the whole post. And I LOVE reading people's greetings to new members in the welcome section. Stuff comes out there that I would never know otherwise.

Copy&pasting is like me when I am working the register: "Hello-what-can-I-get-for-you-today? Everything-on-that? Want-to-add-cheese? Fries-and-a-drink? Okay-that-will-be-9.49.....Signthishereisyourdrinkdontforgetyournumber, bye!"

Just my 2cents, if you want to welcome people, welcome them with a customized hello, I acknowledge you are a human being.
Impersonal Communication: Talking to people like they are the same as every other person in their role(aka, they are a newcomer so they are a stupid noob I have to educate and spoon feed FML)
Interpersonal Communication: Talking to people like they are unique human beings with wants, desires, experiences, etc.(aka, look, a newcomer! Oh wow, he is into guns as well as lasers?! Let's tell him about our guns and we can bond. Also, here is a thread about using different lasers for gun sights....maybe I'll ask him about pictures of his guns?)

again, just my 2cents, take it or leave it,
Isaac

Last edited:
As long as we have the attention of the mods, I have a question.

Is there a way for us lowly members to delete our irrelevant threads? Please?

You can't delete your own threads, but you can edit the content, or if it bothers you a lot, ask a mod to delete it.

No harm in having threads that ask something, or go nowhere, it's something more for people in the future to see, and possibly find an answer from.

ARG

I would like to remind people, this thread isn't just about one person.

There have been vets and new guys alike in the past and present trying to raise their post count or advertise their website for selling lasers with canned welcome messages. It's obvious most of the time when the new guys do it and they usually get called out, but some still get away with it.

Last edited:
The canned responses I've seen usually aren't from people who "need" post counts. I have, however, seen some pointless-reply posts from some people obviously trying to raise their post totals. The real issue we should be addressing here are posts that add no value and have ulterior motives.

I don't particularly like canned responses because they usually come across impersonal, and assume that the new user hasn't read the rules or knows how to conduct themselves. Often they have nothing to do with the person's question or the subject of the post, so they end up wasting space. If we're gong to have there types of canned responses, the forum software ought to just send a PM to the person after they sign up, and avoid having forum members write them.

I don't have problems with canned-type responses that are specific to common questions or posts. For example, a canned-like response telling people where to find info on building their first laser is fine -- though I'd like to avoid hand-holding posts too.

Last edited:

ped

InfinitusEquitas has written a good post , a sticky in the Welcome section ,which outlines the main point's and maybe we should link to this post and welcome the new member as soon as we see one.

I don't like canned messages either , like b-b said , its assumes the newcomer hasn't read the stickies ect which is impersonal, and may even offend sensitive people.

And it has been suggested that some members have no interest in welcoming new members, it's simply to draw attention to their signature.

So we'll keep an eye on the canned messages.

Last edited:
the second I see their avatar at the top of their posts, I know I just need to scroll 3 or 4 times(maybe 5 or 6 for those who have long signatures) because there will literally be no original thought in the whole post.

That's so much scrolling!

:rolleyes:

#firstworldproblems

I don't really like the idea of adding any form of "control" to what people here can and cannot say. Intentions for saying anything are not really something that can be controlled, or helped. Yeah, there are those who seek a high post count for some reason, but most of the canned posts I see do seem to contain valuable information for the newcomer.

For example, I've seen multiple new members THANK Jerry for his post in their welcome thread. To me that show that they've been given a push in the right direction towards some good threads. Most introduction posts contain very little information about the members themselves, so a special "customized post" catered to someone new, that we don't know is just the same as a wedding greeter that welcomes guests with the same formalized greeting - usually because he does not know them.

If its really that much trouble to scroll down a little further, most operating systems have a feature that allows you to adjust scroll 'ticks'. My scroll size is set to 1/2 page, so it takes absolutely no effort to zip through a thread or posts I've already read up to a point.

Interesting that ie has such a say in this when he openly uses ad blocking software. The basis of how this forum is funded.

Interesting that ie has such a say in this when he openly uses ad blocking software. The basis of how this forum is funded.

Uhm, ok. :thinking:

Is this some kind or troll attempt? It's kind of weak if it is... if not, it just doesn't make much sense.

Take a look at the numbers:

Currently Active Users: 13965 (353 members and 13612 guests)

The number of guests VASTLY outnumbers the members.

The basis of how the forum is funded, on the advertising side, is primarily from clicks and impressions.

The majority of these clicks and impressions are generated by guests.

Guests who come here for content.

Content which is generated by users.

Often there is also a base fee for simply showing all the ads, outside of the number of clicks and impressions.

What content does a canned post with a dozen links provide in so far as content is concerned, after it's been posted once, twice or a few hundred times?

Shouldn't it also bug you that LB is not paying per link, but adds numerous links to his business for free?

Oh and please do elaborate on what say I have? After all I'm the guy who started the topic right? Whoops, that wasn't me. :shhh:

Maybe I'm the guy who voted 21 times for "No" to the question?

Hmm, nope, also not me.

Oh wait! I know! I'm a moderator or owner, or advertiser?

Heh. Nope, still not it. So what say do I have on the matter exactly?

To me it looks like I have exactly the same amount of say as you do.

Last edited:
I feel so conflicted with all those "users" out there just looking at my junk. It makes me kind of self conscious. There's so many of them!

Somehow I just know there's a few idiots in that group who we should ALL be thankful that they lack the skills or money to actually bite the bullet and own one of our monsters.

Also, this:

BoRgqAtl.png

The "you can contact us anytime" stuff belongs in a signature, not copy and pasted into the end of every post. The forum database should be purged of that line. I have no idea why it is copy and pasted into every post anyways when its so much easier and cleaner to add it to a signature where it belongs.

kyyniDqs.jpg

So where dose it say in any forum rule it belongs in the signature, I think your making this all up :thinking:

the cartoon horses have gone to your head :crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.