Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Re: Peregrine - The Free LPM Interface

^^ blowing on your LPM.. the new internationally standardized LPM testing method.

Its all the rage. All the scientists are doing it these days.

IsaacT

Wow you have got some HOT air!!! You blew on it and it shot up to almost 200mW's?! Are you a farking dragon?! Nice!

Just as well I used the top end, I think the other end would have maxed it out! :crackup::beer:

ARG

Great to see your LaserBee is working on your MAC...

Why are you still beating around the bush and not responding to the valid questions and comments put forth to you in this thread?

Also, the comment you left of my user page
BTW.... That pic you entitled LaserBee Bug was created by
you when you unplugged the LaserBee USB cable while the
EagleEye™ was running waiting for input.
Since you are in bed with Trevor this "Bug" may have been
caused by using a non approved product used with our EagleEye™
Software. We see no Bug......

First off, I do not appreciate the comment about being in bed with Trevor. Can you please keep this professional and not resort to childish accusations? For the record I was experiencing these problems (and sent you the PM about them) before I got involved with the development of Open Source laser power meter platforms, and all the measurements were done with an EagleEye approved product. (Sorry, I mean EagleEye™ :crackup:)
Secondly, you already explained the issues to me about the software, and I followed your instructions and still had crashing problems. I never unplugged the USB cable during the measurement.
Even if I did use a non-approved product (which I didn't) the bugs have nothing to do with the device that is generating the serial data.
As spyrorocks said:
You have been told there are issues by many people, yet you still claim "bug free..."

lul.
I am not the only one experiencing the problems with your software.

Last edited:

Why are you still beating around the bush and not responding to the valid questions and comments put forth to you in this thread?

Also, the comment you left of my user page

First off, I do not appreciate the comment about being in bed with Trevor. Can you please keep this professional and not resort to childish accusations? For the record I was experiencing these problems (and sent you the PM about them) before I got involved with the development of Open Source laser power meter platforms, and all the measurements were done with an EagleEye approved product. (Sorry, I mean EagleEye™ :crackup:)
Secondly, you already explained the issues to me about the software, and I followed your instructions and still had crashing problems. I never unplugged the USB cable during the measurement.
Even if I did use a non-approved product (which I didn't) the bugs have nothing to do with the device that is generating the serial data.
As spyrorocks said:

I am not the only one experiencing the problems with your software.

Actually, this is a good point. The EagleEye data capturing program on the Laserbee CD is in need of an update.
On Windows XP there were no problems running it, however when moving to Windows 7, on a mini i5 tower I experienced several crashes and hangs.
I wonder if this might have anything to do with the 64bit addressing on Windows 7 and this possibly affecting the software stability. I am also thinking that the USB to serial adapter may have played an additional role perhaps?
Not completely sure what the problem was. :undecided::undecided:
Any comments?

Perhaps Jerry and Trevor plus various other forum members could make amends and work together on a
open source cross-platform program that all of us could download and improve. We could integrate
Everyone's LPMs could use it and there would be peace in the world again.

Some future additions to Peregrine
- Serial library integration (currently relies on Processing serial libraries)
- Sizable window
- Vector graph export (Vector Graphics) .pdf
- Input triggering threshold
Graph customization tools

Last edited:

Simply awesome work, more options are always better. This is a wonderful contribution to the hobby and Trevor should be proud of this.

ARG

@Seoul
All my crashing issues have also been experienced on Window 7, I've never tried it with XP. The crashing happens for both 32 and 64 bit Win7.
I don't think the USB serial adapter has anything to do with the crashing as I've never had any problems with it, but I could be wrong.

@Jerry What do you think is causing the crashing issues? Out of curiosity have you use eagle eye on Win 7?

I think your idea to integrate all LPM data loggers is great, but I don't think Jerry would be up for it.

Last edited:

Trevor

I think your idea to integrate all LPM data loggers is great, but I don't think Jerry would be up for it.

I mean... that's already prettymuch what Peregrine is.

Who did I leave out?

Trevor

Blord

I have tried Peregrine and it works just fine with my both LPM, the LasersBee 2.5W USB and the Ophir.
Just select the right LPM datastream and the COM port and it was up and running.
I didn't fiddle anything. My OS is Win7-64bit and I have no problem running the program despite the spec of 32bit only.
The navigation in Peregrine is a little awkward. Maybe I used Eagle Eye software too long. :)

The testlaser is the Skylasers PL520-50. The measurements of both sensors are within 1mW. :bowdown:
LPM%20Ophir%20Per%20520nm.jpg

LPM%20LasersBee%20Per%20520nm.jpg

Trevor

Glad you like it! The Windows version is theoretically targeted to 32-bit, because the serial library does not have a 64-bit version. But it will run fine on Windows 64-bit... as a matter of fact, all my development was on a 64-bit machine. :p

The navigation in Peregrine is a little awkward. Maybe I used Eagle Eye software too long. :)

Do you have a suggestion for how I can make it better? I'm always open to input! :)

Trevor

Last edited:

I haven't had mine hooked up to a meter yet but just from browsing though it I have a few suggestions. The file, meter, and measurement buttons along with the COMM port, refresh, and connect are kind of small IMO. I would also like to be able to change the background color and units of measure color. Other than that its a fantastic program!

Blord

First time I disconnect it clears the graph completely. I though what the *** ! :)
I think there must be a START/STOP button and a CONNECT/DISCONNECT button right on the screen as a fast button and not hidden in a menu.
You could move the com port selection in the menu because most users will use only one LPM. Once selected they won't change the com anymore or not much.
And the constant two lines when the cursor moves across the graph. Can it turned off ?
But these are my options. And thanks for the open program. :gj:

Last edited:

Just wow. What more to ask? a free data logging program, I can't wait to try it out :) Thanks guys

Last edited:

Trevor

Seoul_lasers said:
Some future additions to Peregrine
- Serial library integration (currently relies on Processing serial libraries)
- Sizable window
- Vector graph export (Vector Graphics) .pdf
- Input triggering threshold
Graph customization tools

Sorry... forgot to reply to this.

Might not be able to do a PDF, but an SVG wouldn't be out of the question.

Resizeable window will be VERY difficult using Processing. I've been thinking about how to do that during the whole time I've worked on Peregrine.

There is input triggering. When you start a new timed measurement (Measurement->New), you can choose a threshold at which to begin graphing.

What do you suggest for graph customization tools?

I haven't had mine hooked up to a meter yet but just from browsing though it I have a few suggestions. The file, meter, and measurement buttons along with the COMM port, refresh, and connect are kind of small IMO. I would also like to be able to change the background color and units of measure color. Other than that its a fantastic program!

Okay... let's see.

I can work on making those window elements a little bit bigger, for sure. Might not be a super fast proposition, because of the way Peregrine's form layout is done. Everything is done by pixel coordinates manually.

With regards to changing all the colors... I don't see why not. I can add things in the config file to allow you to change that.

First time I disconnect it clears the graph completely. I though what the *** ! :)
I think there must be a START/STOP button and a CONNECT/DISCONNECT button right on the screen as a fast button and not hidden in a menu.
You could move the com port selection in the menu because most users will use only one LPM. Once selected they won't change the com anymore or not much.
And the constant two lines when the cursor moves across the graph. Can it turned off ?
But these are my options. And thanks for the open program. :gj:

When you connect or disconnect, Peregrine resets into the monitor state - which requires clearing the graph. I could change that so that it only moves to the monitor state when you connect - would that be good? Or I can make it user-specified, via the configuration file? Which would be preferable?

With regards to a Start / Stop button...

Would you want "Start" to go into monitoring mode, or would you like it to start a new timed measurement?

There's more info about the lines on the graph in the OP, but...

- When you have your mouse over the graph, two lines appear and will highlight the reading nearest your mouse. The selected reading is displayed with your selected line color, at the bottom of the window.
- You can click and drag on the graph to select an area of readings. When you do this, the peak and average for the selected area are displayed in your selected line color at the bottom of the window. You can right click in the graphing area to clear this selection.

If you want to turn both of these features off, open the data folder and open Peregrine.conf. There, you can turn off the mouseover effects.

Trevor

ARG

^^^^ That is what makes Pergerine great, Trevor accepts user feedback, unlike eagle eye where Jerry wont admit his software has bugs and fix them :undecided:

ped

Will this run on my Kenometer Pro? , which incidentallty, is still running Trevor's superb Luminosity™ ® ℠ ™™™™™ software. :)

Could a trend indicator be added?