Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM44 6W+ 450nm Laser Diode

Yea...When I get my hands on one....The first test will be to examine the divergence-Aspect ratio !!

Perhaps the raw output is actually more divergent than the P73/HL63193 Red diode. ???? Dunno ????

We do have some optics to consider for beam correction. I assure you....none will deliver a perfect Gaussian profile (Round)..... !!!

For my personal taste's ...a reasonable beam geometry ....at say 10 meters is a reasonable and achievable goal....:eg::eg::eg: We will see !!!

I agree. We have to lower our expectations with these projector diodes. If there's any way I can help let me know.

These diodes are incredible! They cut through tape with no problem, and set the roll on fire!!
It is great for laser solder welding. It's superb for starting a camp fire.
I could go on and on. Sure divergence is like that of a beam through a line lens , But those line provide such a RUSH!!!!

Thanks DTR-Wolfram :)

Sure divergence is like that of a beam through a line lens

Maybe, but where is the demonstration? There may be at least a dozen diodes out there and they have been measured for wavelength and of course for power, but I am the only one who has evaluated the beam quality. That's strange.

If beam quality doesn't matter then why take these out of the module? Just drive them where they sit. Or take 10-20 of the "3W", 9mm diodes, collimate each of them and converge the cluster at a convenient distance. This convergence would actually produce a far brighter spot at the target.

I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about correcting laser beams. But I too would love to learn more about how to. I think most people want handheld lasers here, but I could be wrong. That being said with out the room in a handheld many sacrifice beam correction, even tho many of us wish we didn't have too. I must say planters you know your stuff I hope to learn as much as I can from you if possible.

Of course, im over generalizing the divergence. Come Come , it's a multi-mode. The beam spec is not the best , but far better than the Onclaro 700 mW 635nm.
It does not matter me, after all it's my personal opinion. This diode is freaking awesome!

LOL -wolfram

Of course, im over generalizing the divergence. Come Come , it's a multi-mode. The beam spec is not the best , but far better than the Onclaro 700 mW 635nm.
It does not matter me, after all it's my personal opinion. This diode is freaking awesome!

LOL -wolfram
I really wanted to buy one of these the second I first saw the tread but as it progresses I got more and more skeptical about going through with the buy. However, it's nice to see someone put aside all the in depth specs and admit that it is a truly amazing how much power this little piece of equipment can give off. So thanks wolfram, I think I'm going to go through with it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be satisfied with such amazing power. Yes it'd be nice to get innovative corrective optics or beam expanders, but as far as I know it'd mean throwing quite a bit more cash would could be used for other things like a near 1w 405nm that I have yet to own.

Pman

Would like to have someone with a calibrated LPM retest the same diode that both Planters and DTR test to see what is up with the measurements. I don't think Planters is running off batteries and that may be the difference and if so it is likely that Planters is more accurate all else being equal (such as the same lens).
Really appreciate your input here Planters. I was also quite surprised at the near/far beam measurements. The difference between it and the 9mm is huge. Raw output is impressive but at quite the beam spec cost.

Last edited:

ARG

I've removed the religion and trades feedback discussions in this thread, please keep those discussions in their respective sections and keep this thread on the topic of the diode.

Last edited:
Maybe, but where is the demonstration? There may be at least a dozen diodes out there and they have been measured for wavelength and of course for power, but I am the only one who has evaluated the beam quality. That's strange.

If beam quality doesn't matter then why take these out of the module? Just drive them where they sit. Or take 10-20 of the "3W", 9mm diodes, collimate each of them and converge the cluster at a convenient distance. This convergence would actually produce a far brighter spot at the target.

I'm dancing as fast as I can.....got the LD yesterday !! Lotsa power....mine is set at 5A and has an output of 6.25W using a G2 lens....so....this measurement is with a Scientech 362 Meter which has a max of 10W.

SO....what about divergence ????? .....not as bad as the P73....but has some spread !!

Brighter then Hell though !!!

I will do some more lens testing and optical correction testing tonight....last night...quickly put the beam thru a set of Anamorphic prism's...( With the G2 lens).hmmmmm ??? not satisfied with this solution ....still a bar at 25' (7.6M)....about 9mm x 3mm !!!

Will test with some other collimation lenses in combo with the Anamorphics.
Will then try a Cylindrical Set. Pass the popcorn !!! :na::na::na:

Bandlasing,
I'll describe what I know as well as I can. Take it from there and teach me something.

Wolfram,
I know you are. I am pointing out that not much is known and I'm looking for people like CD to come back and say "this is what I found".

I'm not a fan boy or a kill joy. I want to develop a public record of everything that can be learned about these so that whether you are satisfied with a compact and very bright hand held laser, want to engrave metal vs cut wood or entertain at a rave you will know what the trade offs are. Even when we have them, the spec sheets that the manufacturer generates do not take into account these uses.

I am excited about this diode. CD, what were the near field measurements and at what distance from the diode when you expanded the beam to produce the 9mm far field? How far was the prism pair from the diode and what happened to the power?

Oh, and ARG thanks. As CD knows from elsewhere I was likely to come back and nail the dude.

Pman

Unless DTR got a freak diode it's looking more like his LPM setup is reading high. First thing I would do is check your LPM batteries.

Last edited:

APEX1

Unless DTR got a freak diode it's looking more like his LPM setup is reading high. First thing I would do is check your LPM batteries.

has anyone said for sure what this diode is putting out? power wise? I've seen a few different videos showing different results.

Last edited:
has anyone said for sure what this diode is putting out? power wise? I've seen a few different videos showing different results.

What do you mean by "for sure"? Several people have measured these via LPM, but they have all varied. Rick measured about 7 watts, DTR maxed out his meter, Planters got 4 watts(I believe his increased to 4.5 or so on second attempt, but still much lower), and the most recent one to measure hit somewhere over 6 watts. Pman, DTRs measurement would seem to me, based simply on the other measurements, to be more likely to be accurate since all but one measurement thus far has been well over 6 watts. But no one has mentioned how recently their LPM was calibrated. That's what I am interested in. The only way to truly remove all doubt is to measure it on a certified, calibrated LPM. What say you, guys? Who's got a recently calibrated LPM? Any of you possibly overdue for calibration?

APEX1

What do you mean by "for sure"? Several people have measured these via LPM, but they have all varied. Rick measured about 7 watts, DTR maxed out his meter, Planters got 4 watts(I believe his increased to 4.5 or so on second attempt, but still much lower), and the most recent one to measure hit somewhere over 6 watts. Pman, DTRs measurement would seem to me, based simply on the other measurements, to be more likely to be accurate since all but one measurement thus far has been well over 6 watts. But no one has mentioned how recently their LPM was calibrated. That's what I am interested in. The only way to truly remove all doubt is to measure it on a certified, calibrated LPM. What say you, guys? Who's got a recently calibrated LPM? Any of you possibly overdue for calibration?

what do you think I mean by "for sure" lol there have been a few tests done and all different to a degree.. I guess what I'm saying or trying to say is has it been on par with 6.5-7w with everyone else that has tested it..???