Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445 Mag Mod with TEC...

jayrob

I've been wanting to do this build for a while, and finally put together a prototype...

Mag TEC 14.jpg

Features of this build: (shown in the following pictures)

* TEC with fan installed
* Key switch to arm
* Voltage monitor that also doubles as an 'armed' indicator light

Here's the pictures! :D

Mag TEC 1.jpg

Mag TEC 2.jpg

Mag TEC 3.jpg

Mag TEC 4.jpg

I experimented with different resistors to get the current I wanted for the TEC.

The fan and TEC are 5 volt. So I used a 7805 for them. A 2.7 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor ends up allowing 730mA's to the TEC. The fan draws 75mA's direct from the 7805 voltage regulator...

The fan and TEC together, draws about 805mA's.

Voltage monitor:

I'm using 2 X Feilong 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cells. I have a voltage monitor installed that comes on when the tail cap key switch is turned on.

For detailed pictures of the voltage monitor installation, see my 1000 lumen Mag mod here...

Mag TEC 9.jpg

Setting up the key switch:

Mag TEC 10.jpg

Mag TEC 5.jpg

Mag TEC 6.jpg

Mag TEC 7.jpg

Mag TEC 8.jpg

Turning on the key switch does these three things:

* Activates the fan and TEC
* Turns on the voltage monitor (which doubles as an 'armed' indicator light)
* 'Arms' the Mag side button switch which can then turn on the laser

Driver, current draw, output:

I'm using lazeerer's very nice X-Drive buck driver set at 1.8 Amps.

This is a very stable driver that has very little heat. Really impressed with this driver...

* Fan and TEC - 805mA's
* X-Drive/LD - 1300mA's putting out 1.8 Amps to the LD. (very nice buck driver)
* Output power with 405-G-1 glass lens - 2 Watts... (G1 vs G2)

Total battery current draw at full charge - 2105mA's. Estimated run time between charges - 2 1/2 hours with the Feilong cells.

Mag TEC 11.jpg

Mag TEC 12.jpg

Mag TEC 13.jpg

Here's a short video demonstration: :cool:

Hope you like it! :beer:

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

DTR

Awesome. Love it.:beer:

You need a nice LPM video of it running for 10 minutes. I would love to see the output actually increase over that time.:eg:

jakeGT

Wow.
That's all I have.

Except that would be about the ultimate setup for a new 445 9mm diode at 2A

jayrob

Hey everybody, thanks for the props! :thanks:

jakeGT, sometimes just a simple 'wow' is the best compliment! :beer:

jakeGT

I have a blank check. You write any amount on this check and I will pay it for your product.

I Think Jeff Foxworthy said that haha

jayrob

:crackup:

How about 'hey if my check bounces, don't worry, I'll write you another one just like it'... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Awesome Build! :) But it could be better if you polish the front of the heatsink, and paint Black the holes in the side. :beer:

Also the Driver is from Lazeerer not Laseerer. :D

Awesome! I really can't think of anything else to say. Just awesome.

EDIT: Lpm reading please :p

Last edited:
WOW!! great build. I am really curious about the output mW and if this slight cooling makes a big impact on overall output?
I am VERY curious!
I'm thinking about doing an active cooling project myself now!! :)
Inspirational!

sinner

Jay you're the master.. the stuff you make keeps getting better and better make us feel like a bunch of kids in the hobby!!

jayrob

:thanks: But hey I learn from everybody else too!

Awesome! I really can't think of anything else to say. Just awesome.

EDIT: Lpm reading please :p

I have a Coherent PowerMax 5200 meter, but the digital display is not illuminated. So my camera won't show the reading unless it's a close up shot of the display, which would put the laser out of the picture.

But you can trust me when I say that it is putting out 1.86 Watts... ;) (that's using 3 element lens - It's putting out 2 Watts with 405-G-1)

WOW!! great build. I am really curious about the output mW and if this slight cooling makes a big impact on overall output?
I am VERY curious!
I'm thinking about doing an active cooling project myself now!! :)
Inspirational!

Quite honestly, although it works, I'm not completely happy with the cooling. Which is why I called it a prototype in my opening comments.

Yes it does add some cooling, but not as much as I had expected. Because my Ice Box builds cool really well.

I believe that the TEC chip and fan are just a little under sized for this. (or maybe just under driven) Because with my Ice Box TEC builds, the cooling works very very well, and I am only giving 546mA's to the TEC.

My Ice Box builds have a larger peltier and fan. One thing to watch out for, is over cooling. Because you can get carried away and over cool. Which would cause condensation and other problems that are not good for the diode.

My goal with these builds, is to maintain ambient room temperature for long duty. The Ice Box builds do this very nicely. The Mag build works, but I just wish it was a little better.

I think this Mag build is still cool though... :cool:

However...

I do have an idea that should be an improvement with the Mag mod.

The TEC specs say that it can take 2 Amps. I'm only giving it 730mA's at the moment.

So I will try it at 1.3 Amps and it should be better.

The 7805 is good for only an Amp, so I will just disconnect the resistor and lead to the TEC, and let the 7805 be dedicated to the fan. (hopefully the fans performance may also improve)

I'll get a 1.3 Amp X-Drive buck driver from lazeerer, and let that be dedicated for the peltier.

Should make for a little better overall efficiency as well... :D (hope so)

Last edited:
Very Nice build you got here Jay.:gj:

I really like this setup. Why? Because you can turn the tec on before you turn the laser on. This is Great and you can do a pre chill.

The Tec System is very unique. Ive never seen anything like it to be honest. Well nothing in that size.

Nice work. Cant wait to hear your update with the Higher currant on the TEC. This should also give you a boost in power.

Man I really like that alot how it separate and you can pre chill.

On my set up i have a delay start on the diode. There is no other way to do it in my host but i wish i could do something like you did. Side clicky would be the best choose for this i think because you can add the key.

Over all nice build. +3 :beer: