Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL Spyder I review #2

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to be sent a Wicked Lasers Spyder I laser to review, and if I get the opportunity I would be glad to review another WL product as well. I hope to serve you my readers, with the best and most useful information I can supply on this unit which I was so kindly sent.

884-spyder-017.jpg
883-lizard-spyder-028.jpg
882-spyder-i-021.jpg
These pictures are with no fog or smoke.

I know JL already started a review on the same model & all he said is pretty much true of my experience as well. My output power is also close to the unit John reviewed. Here's a link to what JL wrote: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/new-spyder-one-pro-200mw-532-handheld-43111.html

I am a fan of many designs and Wicked Lasers, hence forth WL (I totally love the company name btw, & I wish I had thought of it first, LOL!). WL stands tall in the design department. This laser though, is a bit more generic in design much like lab equipment. Aside from the safety interlock, (which I like, as it's an unobtrusive button once in), the body is all a cylinder with knurling on several areas and with several band areas smooth, with a good balance of these areas. Still, it is a bit on the plain looking side by comparison to several of the futuristic designs such as the Spyder II , Spyder III and the Evolution Pro 2010. It is easy to clamp it though, into brackets that are usually better at holding simple cylinders. The "hard anodizing" is indeed good looking and I expect robust. It is water resistant I am told, not water proof.

The very bright beam emerges through a flat window, (anti-reflection coated), which is a good protection from moisture and dust. However I noticed the dot at 50+ feet is easily smaller looking with the window taken off, (easily unscrews).

The beam is much more parallel to the body than most all green lasers I have checked for "concentric beam" Which is an attraction for astronomers who, may mount a laser on the telescope, then they would otherwise be bothered with a laser that can not be aligned with the telescope unless they re-mount the finder rings. I have heard astronomers complain about this before, so it is good the unit I have is so beam concentric.
I also noticed the graph I was sent along with the laser uses as part of the standard deviation the moment before laser is actually operating, this is not best, as the operating STD DEV s/b and actually is smaller. The unit is far more stable than I expected it to be.

I will use a second Power meter, (daguin owns) for my next test to report the output power again, but my Kenom Thermal LPM showed it to be at 225 mW to 255 mW. This is indeed very little variation in a portable laser of this output power. It uses a battery that I would choose for such a unit as well, as my first choice, 1X 18650 is the battery.

Edit from 9-1-09: Dave's meter shows about 216 to 224 mW and Dave explains, his and WL's meter show an "artifact" the meter will overshoot the reading for a brief moment when the laser first hits the sensor in these "calorimeter" type sensor, so the about 260 mW peak seen immediately at the turn on of the laser is likely not an actual output on WL's graph, certainly not w/ Dave's.

I will take more measurements and get some pictures ASAP, but I'll just say now, were I to buy this unit as a 200 mW laser, I would say that it is a very good laser and I can recommend it for many uses. As I consider this review a work in progress, I welcome any questions or statements about the facts about the unit I am enjoying. Thanks folks! -Glenn

Last edited:

I would be really happy to review a Spyder III Pro!!!, the Blue one is more attractive, but I would be glad to review any. :) -Glenn

Last edited:
I would be really happy to review a Spyder III to me, the Blue one is more attractive, but I would be glad to review either. :) -Glenn

I'm looking forward to your review, Glenn.

The blue does look very nice.
I'm curious about the 635 Spyder... It would be interesting to see what kind of optics they used to correct the beam.
Wicked's new lineup certainly is impressive.

Oh... and what are the dimensions of this laser? It looks pretty large in the pictures.

Nice review Glenn, & I wouldn't mind doing a review also. BTW, if that laser doesn't fit into ur collection, I'd be most happy to relieve you of possession of it !!!! LOL....rob

Diameter ~30.5 mm and length ~204 mm Interlock is about 3 mm above case dia.

For you inch folks That's just a hair over 8 inch long and ~1.2 inch in diameter. Interlock button just under 1/8 inch above barrel.

Really Good pics are a bit time consuming to make with my equip. Coming though! Best Wishes1 -Glenn

Glenn -- when you figure how to post a passle of good pictures here -- let me know. I don't have a bucket or whatever myself.

Mike

^You don't need a bucket, you can just upload pictures into your album right here on LPF, then each picture will automatically generate code to embed it. Then you just copy and paste the code into the post and voila! there's a pic, full size and everything...

Yes Mike, and others who would want to know, it is simple after you create an "Album" of your own, (click community and select "Pictures & Albums", then add some pictures to your own album, after that, you can copy and paste the pic off your album by the tag below it. -Glenn

I don't get it....am I missing something...How are all of you guys getting/winning these free WL lasers?

I don't get it....am I missing something...How are all of you guys getting/winning these free WL lasers?

I sent an email offering to give an honest opinion and review any WL product. Not sure, but it could have helped that I am well known on LPF and I think well liked, (positive reps) Thanks for the rep folks! -Glenn

Hey friends, thanks for your comments and rep! I tested on daguin's meter today, and the output is stable at about the same mW's as I said before, this is 200 + mW for sure. Some folks would assert that for the cost of one of these you could buy two complete new CNI PGL III 200 mW lasers and a pair of goggles, (at the GB discount price), but other unts are not quite as slick looking as the Spyder I, and may typically lack the Spyder I's stability, but it's up to the buyer in the end. Thanks Again! :) -Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn --

Most laser power meters will "overshoot" when hit hard on start-up. There is an internal adjustment on the Scientech meters but you don't want to damp the circuit too much or low power lasers will look like duds.
Know your meter and understand what it's telling you.

Mike