Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We want the chat box back, don't we?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

Do you want the chatbox back?

• Total voters
I voted yes just because it's very simple. If you're logged into the forum you can talk on here.

I also wouldn't mind an embed laserchat here on LPF.

mibbit.com has a full function IRC client implemented in javascript and css, no flash, no java... It's actually not bad. It'd be a cinch to make a little iframe on the main page with a "click here to enter chat" button that links to an embedded mibbit window set to join laserchat.

alternatively there's jirc and pjirc, though iirc they use java and I really hate java.

Another option, other than laserchat's IRC is to set up your own IRC server specifically for LPF.. It's not all that hard to install ircd, and its default config is prolly just fine for a simple single channel setup like we have... I mean, there are ircd's coded for commodore 64's and the like, it's a protocol that's existed since the 1970's... I can't imagine it'd put much strain on the server. And actually, if you set up a really simple eggdrop bot running locally you could have it spit out HTML to a file that could be synched to a (within five seconds of)-realtime chat output directly on the main page, again, while putting a ridiculously low load on the server.

Things

If you want a seperate room, I could easily setup another channel. An eggdrop bot is a good idea, I have used them before to do channel mirroring, so maybe you could mirror laserchat to LPF's channel, and LPF's channel to laserchat. I could also setup a eggdrop to log all conversations to a webpage so people could look through them for reference.

But I guess the idea is that the IRC server is hosted elsewhere, thus not putting barely any more load on the server.

Only if the chat is on a completely separate page. Otherwise, good riddance. I don't like having to scroll past the chat window, nor have it capture my mouse's scrolling input as it passes by. Last time I had to resort to modifying my bookmark to go directly to the Laser section of the site so I wouldn't be stuck with that annoying chat window when I arrived.

The less bandwidth this site eats up, the less donations Coldfire needs to keep it running. Why waste the chat room bandwidth on people who don't want to use or even see it?

Maybey cold could have a link to the IRC chat,to open in a new window?
That would be simple.

Come on guys, why not bring the chat back? A simple shoutbox would be awesome. I remember how much help I got from that guy on the site's chat, well ahm, sorry but I forgot his name.. making my DDl driver! Or just embed the laserchat to this site!

Last edited:
Come on guys, why not bring the chat back? A simple shoutbox would be awesome. I remember how much help I got from that guy on the site's chat, well ahm, sorry but I forgot his name.. making my DDl driver! Or just embed the laserchat to this site!

Well silver,
I thank most are trying to look at the chat as a way to keep server overhead down, yet alow a wide range of user's a way to chat if they feel the need to.
Some people have a slower connect, and it would be a shame if they had to.
(sarcasam\\start)
Buy a airplane ticket to fly to the nearest Hot spot as so to use a somewhat HI-speed connect.
Only to be back at home 3 hours later on the return flight, only to find out , ( well nouthin.. there on dile-it up)...
(sarcasam//stop)
:)

Last edited:

Things

If anything, IRC would be LESS intensive on your internet! It's a 21 year old protocol, and it hasn't changed very much since then at all. BobBoyce uses dialup and it works fine for him. Although the mibbit client can be a bit dodgy ...

Although the mibbit client can be a bit dodgy ...

I don't care what the chat program is, I just want it to work. Put it anywhere you want in LPF... I just want to be able to get there with a few clicks and not have to re- log in.

As I type this I can't log in to laserchat... once again. :mad:
Closing Link: t_warne[widget.mibbit.com] (Too many connections from your IP)
:wtf:

I was on Laser Chat once but got told to back off more than once because I was talking about, of all things---Lasers !!! Someone with the initals of BF controls that place and what he says --go's.
No way ever ------------------- No way to control some people.

Mike

IRC would be fine, but keep it off the main pages. Plus you can just set up some channel on a public server. No overhead at all!

I was on Laser Chat once but got told to back off more than once because I was talking about, of all things---Lasers !!! Someone with the initals of BF controls that place and what he says --go's.

Mike

He's not always like that Mike, I bet if you gave it another shot, that you'd like it. I'm on there all the time and never have a problem.

Mike

Mike, if you're having a problem with bluefusion on laserchat, let me know as I am an operator. IRC also has an ignore system if you don't want to see his messages.

Things

As I type this I can't log in to laserchat... once again. :mad:
Closing Link: t_warne[widget.mibbit.com] (Too many connections from your IP)
:wtf:

Mibbit at it once again!

And yeah, if anyone ever has a problem with BlueFusion (ON IRC, don't discuss matters that happened on here in public with him please), contact either me, Mario, marianne, Kenom. As it is, he has operator status as well, so it'd probably be better to take it up with me, so I can sort it out with marianne personally.

Cheers,
Dan :)

Last edited: