Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The I "C" Red Battle Royale LPF Contest

Voting will start the last week of September. Hopefully that will give you enough time Wolfman. This is also just to pick the 2 designs for the Battle Royale. The winners will have an additional month to build with the diode in hand.

~ LB

Well, I should probably have the boards in about three weeks. I think that'll give me enough time. I'm mad I have to reorder boards, but I want this to be a clean build!

IsaacT

Ehgemus is currently working on my host. :) I keep saying I am going to take pics of the diagrams I made. The lines are so light though which makes it harder.

Since it's the weekend and the local scrapyard is closed, I've been giving some thought to the driver. 5W is getting up to where a linear driver becomes impractical, so it's probably going to be some type of switcher. The Velleman K8071 LED driver is looking good right now, at least as a starting point, and I have a fully assembled one already just lying around. Then a PIC10F220 to handle the pushbutton and give me my modes since they are perfect for the joj. There will also be a key switch to shut down the micro and for added safety. Then for batteries I have some mysterious 18650 cells that were liberated from an old notebook battery. They will be replaced with new ones should these prove to be a problem. I will release source code and everything after the end of the contest. I want this to be a completely open source build. :p

ojqwZhi.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have my piece, for better or worse.

7wQQY3b.jpg

I was looking at several different pieces, and this one seemed to have the best tradeoff
between larger size and the ability to be held in the hand. It is just over 1.5" wide and a little
less than 10" long. The larger pieces were way too big, so I'm going to have to settle for this
one.

IsaacT

Well, I have my piece, for better or worse.

7wQQY3b.jpg

I was looking at several different pieces, and this one seemed to have the best tradeoff
between larger size and the ability to be held in the hand. It is just over 1.5" wide and a little
less than 10" long. The larger pieces were way too big, so I'm going to have to settle for this
one.

I think this is a really cool idea! It should have really good heatsinking capabilities! +1 For thinking "inside the box" ;) EDIT....apparently I have given out too much rep in the past 24 hrs.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the support. Your excitement is getting me excited. :thanks:

So yesterday I made most of the main cuts on the host. The video will be available when it's
finished uploading. It explains all.

Well, after a parts mixup, All the driver parts have been ordered. It seems the entire PIC10F
series mentioned earlier is unsuitable as not one has a D/A converter. A more expensive
substitute will be used. I'm still waiting on some machine tools as well. Things are at a bit of
a standstill due to the labor day holiday. As it stands, all of the main pieces are cut. The
piece which will become the aperture is milled flat. When the tooling arrives, the holes will be
drilled and tapped and the battery box hollowed out.

Ceuvlym.jpg

A new feature added to the design will be an LED indicator, red of course! It will flash to
indicate which mode the device is in, battery voltage, etc. There can be up to 32 power
levels. Dragon Ball Z jokes aside, there will probably only be like 8 or 4 or something
depending on how it comes out. Or maybe have it where holding the button down will slowly
increase through all 32 levels. There are many many possibilities. :yh:

ME1vIEA.jpg

IsaacT

I am thinking I might possibly either get one of Jayrob's Stubby kits. Either that or make it into a labbie. Having just bought a Lasever module and getting a host made for it I am thinking I need to keep this simple. Designing my host was fun but I am afraid of trying to get it fabricated for fear of miscommunications. I have my 5W diode, my lens, but the host will have to go on hold I think.

So I have good news! I finally got the boards in and I built it and it WORKS! There is just one small hitch, which is that it won't output more than ~2.5A or so (should go up to 3A). That's fine though. I can always change out the set resistor for something a little lower.

Anyway, I'm happy :D This weekend, I may even have a video of me testing it out :)

IsaacT

Nice!!! Well Ehgemus finished my 473 host crazy fast so I am gonna go ahead and get the ball rolling on my 650 host.

PS-my 473 host is SEXY. It is almost exactly as I imagined it.

Last edited:
I am here to let everyone know that I am dropping out of this competition.

I simply don't have the drive for diodes anymore and am currently building a VERY large for sale thread to get rid of some unwanted goods.

I wish everyone the best with this giveaway!