Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The I "C" Red Battle Royale LPF Contest

Does it involve a likeness of Sylvester Stallone?

NO...The " Law Giver II " does not look anything like Stallone.....He is " One ofa Kind ".....

I highly recommend watching the 1995 " Judge Dredd "....It is... mmmmm
entertainment of EPIC PROPORTIONS !!!

See pics for additional laugh !!

BEAM OUT=======>

Attachments

• christmasStory for LPF 1.jpg
    christmasStory for LPF 1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 95
  • I am da LAW for LPF 1.png
    I am da LAW for LPF 1.png
    599.2 KB · Views: 307

I enjoyed the new version way better too, the Stallone version is great 90's camp though.

~ LB

IMHO…” Judge Dredd “ is right up there….in lights….with such “ Campy Classics “ as ;

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
Napoleon Dynamite
and, Battlefield Earth

I was laughing… to the point of tears…while watching “ Dredd” …as I said…Epic Entertainment !!!...
BUT…One MUST admit…It DID provide a creative name for my project !!! Thank you Sylvester !!!
CDBEAM=====>

Also...To the Lightening Stalker.....I further reply..." I knew you'd say that " hahaha

Last edited:
HAH. You think that Napoleon Dynamite is up there with Plan 9 From Outer Space? That movie is widely considered the worst film ever in history.

Well...Napoleon D is a strange movie...that is for sure....while ND is rather ODD....and...Rico and Grandma are.......well...somewhat over the top...the acting is good....just the chacacters they play are....kinda campy.......OK....ND may not be in the class of Plan 9....But then....I sometimes enjoy a good campy movie......surly....these movies manytimes exceed the entertainment of the plethera of crap they serve up with todays movie offerings !!! YIKES !!!

CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:
While I love 90's action movies I have to agree the new one is way better. OTOH the new total recall totally sucks.

9/13/2013 - Results

HH58aVM.jpg

IsaacT

FOR THE RECORD. HERE IS MY PROOF OF CONCEPT. This is a host which looks exactly like the 650 I am having built. The Lens holder will be a slightly different diameter, and the heatsink will be for the C-mount diodes but that is it. The battery configuration will be 26650 Li-Ion with a convenience 18650 Sleeve so if I run out of batteries. Here ya go:

Hopefully that is enough detail to finalize my entry in this competition. Benwmv is currently working on a 4A driver for me, but if it isn't done in time I will be running two 1800mA linear drivers in parallel for 3600mA current. By the way if any of you don't recognize that host, go check out my recent 473 build :) THREAD IS HERE!

Thanks,
Isaac

:bowdown: So impressed by "Frost" your 473nm build. Your ability to problem solve and achieve your goal was what I admire the most. You are an Artist :beer:

Good luck, will be a worthy battle if you make the first cut :thinking:

Many good possibilities though. Hopefully Apex and Flamin will be able to make an entry...

~ LB

So this is my official entry!

First, I designed a driver that will work for this diode, as demo'd in the video!

For those not interested in watching, here are some pictures of the host.

img_20130925_093822214-resized-800.jpg

img_20130925_093825631-resized-800.jpg

img_20130925_093835857-resized-800.jpg

img_20130925_093852507-resized-800.jpg

And here is a board layout of the driver!

PhaserDriver.png

To those of you who still haven't voted, go check out my detailed thread on how my driver works!

Here is a link.

(Note that the down button issues and low current issues have been resolved since then. I replaced the down button and the MOSFET which was limiting current.)

As for the heatsink, I have fabbed up a little rectangular block of aluminum to act as the base of the heatsink. However, I can't put any holes in it yet or even have it the right size simply because it's very difficult to get the proper measurements for this host! It's hard to measure inside. So, I ordered a dummy c-mount laser diode (something for $5) and the 50mm lens from ThorLabs. Once I receive them, I will machine my little block of aluminum so the C-mount diode is focused to infinity by the lens! :D And if I can't do it, I am sure a few machinists around here could. So that's my plan. I have the little block of aluminum I plan on using (cut it so that it fit perfectly into the host, any smaller is okay, but no bigger!).

This'll take two 14500s, will run at ~3A at max power, and will hopefully have a 30 minute run time even at high power :)

Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:
Hey Guys

I'm having real problems with my driver it's able to do over 6A no problem but the efficiency is around 35% instead of 75% that I exspected so Its getting really hot within seconds without a big heatsink

At the moment I ve got no idea what's causing that after serious testing and makeing several boards :(

I now don't think I'm able to solve it till the 25th:cryyy:

The lens barrel is done. I'd post some pictures of it, but there were a couple tool crashes, so it's not perfection. They're all on the inside and so won't be visible when it's all put together. I could clean it up as if they were never there, but am leaving them as a reminder of all the mistakes I have made. Still waiting on the DX crap. This is so slow it's terrible and ridiculous and I'm going to avoid them in the future if at all possible. So progress is slow and painful, but it is happening and Big Red is coming together. This will be one of the most powerful handheld lasers in the world.

Good deal Lightning Stalker! :gj:

Voting doesn't begin for a few days jimmyoneeye and continues til the end of the month. There will be an additional month for the 2 winning contenders to duke it out ;)

That goes for you too shokkunlasers. Just a detailed design is necessary for this first part of the contest...

~ LB