Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Terms of Use and Drama

How should this be dealt with?

• Remove rules that are unenforced or irrelevant.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trevor

I'm sure you all are well aware that drama arises fairly routinely here on LPF. This was the impetus for me to go read the forum rules this morning. They're not a very interesting read, but a lot can be learned from them.

NOTE: The Terms of Use are there to lay out the terms that a user must abide to maintain the privelege to use the forum.

They can be found here: http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

One rule in particular caught my eye:

§ Promote or endorses false or misleading information or illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous.

It seems that after Avery had these terms drawn up, some of the points faded into obscurity and haven't been entirely enforced - especially this one.

My question to you all is - what should we do about this? The poll options are fairly self-explanatory, but if you have questions please ask before you vote.

ADDENDUM: Even if the ToU document is there solely to protect Avery in court, I don't think it would help much if the actual enforcement is spotty or nonexistent.

The poll will be open seven days and its votes are public for transparency.

-Trevor

Burnsy

yeah what do you mean with strike system? I don't understand that (maybe because of language ;))

Trevor

yeah what do you mean with strike system? I don't understand that (maybe because of language ;))

In other forum software (Invision, for example) there is a warning system. Five warnings (or strikes) means a ban.

-Trevor

HIMNL9

As far as i remember from old VBulletin versions, there's no automated strike system on it ..... except if the new version was updated, but you need to get it and try (it's too much time that i don't play anymore with it :p)

Also, who decide strikes ? ..... an automated script ? ..... mods ? ..... and if the mods are not in accord, they still have to ask c0ld opinion ..... so, what's bad in just reporting the "bad situations" to the mods and c0ld, and just let them decide ?

I think most, if not all of the drama has been buried under the excitement of the new 445nm diodes.
The forum seems relatively peaceful now, so I think we should not worry about it until it becomes a problem.

I have noticed that drama arises mostly when we have a shortage of science and experiments.
If we stay focused on the topics relevant to the forum's original intent there should be no problems.

Edit: Also, we now have Dave and Things as additional moderators. I think that between the mods and c0ld, there is enough decision making power to keep the forum "peaceful."

Get to work!
:horse:

Last edited:

Trevor

As far as i remember from old VBulletin versions, there's no automated strike system on it ..... except if the new version was updated, but you need to get it and try (it's too much time that i don't play anymore with it :p)

Also, who decide strikes ? ..... an automated script ? ..... mods ? ..... and if the mods are not in accord, they still have to ask c0ld opinion ..... so, what's bad in just reporting the "bad situations" to the mods and c0ld, and just let them decide ?

The problem really isn't so much in how the ToU is enforced or who does it - it just seems to need to be enforced more than it is now.

-Trevor

When drama starts they normally just close the thread.
It goes on like this forever (exceptions of those noob spammers they get banned fast) this might be a way to keep some of the hot headed members to think before they type.
But i think there also need to be examples to show people how the rules apply just because saying you are a F###ing removed#t :umbrella: then putting a smiley the user cant claim it was a joke or similar situations.
I am in very much favor of this as i have seen users threat for life (not to their life but ill do X for the rest of your life) other users and nothing come of it.
example:
You get 3 warnings then a 4-5 day temp ban.
You get 6 warnings then a 1-2 week temp ban.
You get 9 warnings then a 1 month temp ban, then before his re admittance the mods should make sure a he has had a 1v1 talk to see if the user is ready or needs more time.
You get 10 warnings then a semi perma ban till admins decisions.
If a user make an alt and posts during this time 1 warning only once then its goes to the next punishment level if it happens again.
This system would also have to be applied equally amongst all members vets to noobs alike.
Now i know there is no automated system for this and might be hard to remember how many warnings x member had but maybe a mod room with a list of the people?
These are just my ideas but i do like the idea of something rather than just ignoring the rules.

Last edited:
@ Burnsy, I love the optical illusion that you're using for an AVATAR, VERY CLEVER !!! Where did you find it ???.....................rob

I'm not to crazy with the idea of the strike system because of favoritism that exists on this forum.

As sad as it is ... I don't think the admin or mods will up the enforcement, So the rules should be changed to: 'If you give lots of money, you'll be favored and won't be banned'

Maybe to help avoid favoritism there should be a list of the people who get strikes that is public.
by public i mean we can read it but cannot post so we will be able to see who is getting treated better and or given exceptions.
This is from what i remember a democratically run site by its users, if we see a user getting tons of breaks and exceptions we can democratically make corrections to it.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
if there are any specific members causing trouble at this time please contact one of the 4 moderators or email me. today one member causing issues was banned, jellycrab

if there are certain members anyone think are still causing trouble plz email me the list of ppl that should be banned, and a specific example of something they said or did that was deserving of a ban... i am here to take action just need to kno specific examples

i know you banned him but he was going to buy something from my sale...
it could not have waited just a day. oh well thats karma.
maybe for someone else then...

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i agree a strike system could potentially be useful and make people "fear" doing stupid things more, and they will know its more likely action will be taken given that there is a measurable limit which quantifies being banned

kiyoukan's system seems OK, maybe the moderators can keep track of this, and escalate to me when thresholdds are reached, in which case i would take the action required.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
sry about bad timing on the ban=(

Things

I had an idea that I've seen a few other forums use that I think would work here. Basically, if someone starts drama, we could just modify the post and remove the drama. If we get in fast enough, hopefully no one will reply to it, if they do, just delete their posts.

Banning seems a bit excessive at times, everyone has bad days ...

Don"t snitch on me!