Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Techhood 400mW RGB Unit.

Fiddy

G'day,

So when i was ordering the 3 diodes for my predator laser, i looked around the eBay sellers shop (Techhood) and found a 400mW RGB unit. It was only $140 so i picked it up, not having a white laser of my own.

Its fairly compact, the dimensions are: 86mm x 42mm x 80mm

rgb4.jpg

rgb3.jpg

rgb2.jpg

532nm(60mW)
650nm(200mW)
445nm(150mW)

It has 3 pots ontop of the driver for adjusting the power to each color which is cool.

Also has little plugs for disconnecting the diodes from the driver so you can have yellow, aqua and purple too :D

At the moment its pretty portable, im running it off 2x series 14500 lithium cells and making full power:

rgbpower.png

Beam shot

rgb1.jpg

You can see parts of the individual beams of the red green and blue, but thats ok.

For the price i thinks its awesome!

Thanks for looking,

Fiddy.

Things

Oh wow, that's a pretty mad little module! Sucks it doesn't have an analog driver though :(

Why am I always so broke (Know the answer to my own question :p ). I'd love ot get one and design an analog driver board that fits right in the same spot as the TTL one.

How do they allow alignment adjustment?

Last edited:
Oh no. Not ANOTHER thing that I need to impulsively buy! This one is just like the GITD mushrooms.

Thanks for posting this fiddy. Cute little unit! :D

Fiddy

Oh wow, that's a pretty mad little module! Sucks it doesn't have an analog driver though :(

Why am I always so broke (Know the answer to my own question :p ). I'd love ot get one and design an analog driver board that fits right in the same spot as the TTL one.

How do they allow alignment adjustment?

yeah that would be kool!

im not sure i havent opened it up yet.

I saw that the other day on feebay. I was wondering how well it worked. It looks great. Crack that sucker open I want to see the innards. I hopeing the alignment is easy to keep up.

ARG

Neat! That's a really good price for a pre made RGB. The power label looks like all the other CNI lab units I have. Probably from the same manufacturer as CNI's RGB units.

This looks like it could be made into a miniature portable battery operated laser projector with an SD card slot for the ILDA files, would be a neat project.

Last edited:

Things

Annoying thing is the bulkyness of the galvo drivers :p

That and you wouldn't get mush runtime without a big differential battery bank.

ARG

Annoying thing is the bulkyness of the galvo drivers :p

That and you wouldn't get mush runtime without a big differential battery bank.

You seen the New PT 20 drivers? Tiny little things. 6x8x3cm appx. (for the pair)

Could those hex screws above the aperture be for alignment?

Doubt it. You would need more than two screws to do alignment on an RGB unit. They probably hold the case on.

Last edited:
Maybe it's some new schmangled tech where, for example, the blue is set steady pointing straight out the aperture, and you simply align the red and green up to it?

jakeGT

So 400mW is the combined max even though you can adjust the powers?

Nevertheless that is a pretty sweet unit for only $155 shipped. Hopefull they keep them in stock

Fiddy

yeah thats right Jake, i haven't played with the pots much, but as it came it was pretty steady at 445mW, i sure it can be bumped up

Yeah, could you open that thing up? I want to see if the "all-in-one" parts are worth the price of the unit.

Fiddy

hmmm perhaps, don't want to muck up the alignment on the bastard tho.

Last edited: