Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solid Sterling 445nm

When you get down to basics that is what the rep system is REALLY for and I would suggest others step up.

This took a lot of work to make not to mention the artistry involved takes years to learn correctly and it is something to be really proud of :bowdown:

@ Wolfman your a cool guy to say that +1
Thanks all for the kind words, but the kind words really should be directed at StridAst! I just stuck a nice 9mm in there with a BlitzBuck!

Last edited:

DJNY

That thing is way better than the Holy Hand Grenade!

holygrail189.jpg

Seriously, that thing is a work of art!

We had this before ;)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/1-6w-novelty-hand-grenade-445nm-build-69515.html#post1077288

daguin

My sterling StridAst host is my only laser that my wife truly appreciates

Yours is fancier and more powerful than mine :drool:

Good on the both of you

Peace,
dave

Heh, thanks!

It's pretty darn fragile... I don't like to take it anywhere!

So I have some crummy news. Due to stupidity on my part, I rushed the process of building this. As this host does not have a set screw, I had to use arctic alumina thermal adhesive to hold the module in place. However, by the time I had epoxied the module in place, I realized I had not yet secured the positive battery contact in place - it was hanging, attached to a wire inside the host. In my frustration (the epoxy was getting harder and I didn't want to have to scrape the epoxy and such out of the inside barrel, etc.), I just dropped a few drops of super-glue down the barrel to hold the battery contact in place.

Over time, it seems that the connection between the battery contact and the positive input lead has broken down (I soldered it, but I think the metal on the battery contact was very thin so it just physically broke), leading to very intermittent effectiveness. Last night, after about an hour of non-working laser usage, I decided to try to open it up. However, the fit was very tight - the module was wrapped in copper wick for a tighter fit for the aixiz hole, but it seems that, due to the greater surface area (the copper wick), the arctic alumina adhesive made a VERY strong bond, much stronger than usual. I had to completely obliterate the diode and driver in order to remove the module from the silver host (includes heating up to 800 degrees, then cooling it very rapidly, hitting it on things, etc.) because I did not want to dent the host.

Anyway, I ordered another diode and have the driver set up. This time, I am going to use a weaker version of the adhesive (mixing 1 part hardener 1 part epoxy 2 parts arctic silver compound) to hold the module in place (doesn't need 2000+ lbs. strength) and I will get a better battery contact.

Anyway, I figured I would shoot that out. I hope the new 9mm diode I ordered does >2.5W too. =o

Blord

Sorry to hear that. Thermal compound is used for almost permanent bonds. It is very hard to remove after the glue is settled. I hope you get things right in the beginning. You will always regret finishing half works.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Artic Silver needs to develop a permanent (semi-permanent?) epoxy that is very hard and strong but has a solvent.

Blord

I use silicon glue for all my build. It is strong and still easy to remove.

Congrats with your 3000th post ! :wave:

Silicon glue is all fine and dandy, but you always want thermal conductivity, at least more than silicon offers! Also... Woot!

That's disappointing yet bitter sweet. "On no I broke it, guess I have to buy a 9mm diode and make it way better" :p My 9mm came in today, I'm worried I might rush the build too.

Eh, it's not bittersweet =p I got lucky with the 9mm I had in it before - was doing >2.5W output at 2.1A input with a shitty lens (had a scratch on it). It was a painful process because it took me about an hour of smashing the living shit out of that diode/module in order to get it out. Very painful hour, I'll tell ya.

Ok I see, there was already a 9mm in there, yeah then that just sucks. I've had similar experiences making mistakes trying to rush a build.

Yeah... but on the plus side, I hardly damaged the host at all (that was the most expensive part :p )! There is a tiny dent near the bottom where the tailcap meets the rest of the host.

IsaacT

If I were to make a gold host I would want the laser to be a 532nm. Green and gold work amazingly together....Set some emeralds in the host and it would look so sexy. So so sexy.....ahem, I think I'll take my leave now.....