Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solid Silver - 520nm Build [PIC HEAVY]

Thanks! The ridiculously good heatsinking properties of silver obviously make it stable! When the whole host is composed of the most thermally conducting metal, what do you expect? I could probably run it for >5 minutes, I just didn't want to wait that long on the LPM!

Thanks! The ridiculously good heatsinking properties of silver obviously make it stable! When the whole host is composed of the most thermally conducting metal, what do you expect? I could probably run it for >5 minutes, I just didn't want to wait that long on the LPM!

Patience is a virtue :na:! But really, I think you should give it an endurance test sometime when you have a slot in your schedule. It would be interesting to see how long it takes for the diode to drop, say, 20% in power with this beauty. It might convince some of the other dedicated builders on this server to invest in one for their higher powered needs! :beer:

Pman

Definitely not my style but everyone is different. Congrats. Really only matters if you like it. Great that there's such diversity out there:) Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Last edited:
Beautiful. :)

What's it like on the inside? (Driver, pill, etc?) Can we see?

Is the driver heatsinked directly to the host?

Hm.... The feel silver has in your hands really makes me want to get this but the price tag REALLY scares me :p

Amazing host and build, you're gonna make me spend a lot of money D:

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great comments, everyone!

I plan on doing an endurance test at some point - I have a feeling the driver will give out before the diode does from overheating. I'm using an X-Boost (just got the module from DTR). I'm sure it'll last five minutes, but the driver is not heatsinked, unfortunately. However, I assume that since it's only outputting 300mA it shouldn't need much of it.

The silver really is beautiful. It has an incredible weight to it. It's significantly heavier than solid copper. The price wasn't actually that bad. For a host this size (enough for a single 14500 battery), it was about $250 shipped. It's a lot, but compared to some of the lasers people buy on this forum, it's really not all that much.

Regarding the innards... it's actually really simple. It's just a 12mm hole down the bore, slightly longer than a complete AixiZ module. The host came with a little battery contact to solder a lead to so that one can get the positive connection. Then there is the battery tube and the tailcap! Pretty simple.

$250! OMG, that's nothing for such an amazing piece of art.

People here pay much more for a lot less laser.

Thanks for giving the pricing.

No problem! Hopefully he's not too mad for disclosing that! Anyway, the emeralds are delicious.

Wow... you know, I never really thought about luxury hosts (ie. precious metals/gems/ornate or articulated etching), but that is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing this... it really makes me think about long term creating handhelds that are truly art in and of themselves. Good stuff!

Cheers!

c

I'm glad a lot of people are thinking about doing luxury hosts (good name for them)! They really are wonderful. Maybe we can get some more artists involved, too!

Wow. Looks nice. He does some great work. He's given rough quotes before on what a host would cost before any extras so I don't think he'd be upset with you saying what it cost. I've thought about getting a host from him but I have no idea what I'd want done.

Another great host (and build!). I really love all the hosts he has done. I'm actually amazed at the price. I always assumed his work would be several times that considering the amount of work that goes into these. If I'm not mistaken these are done with a "lost wax" method of casting.