Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SELEM 2013- who is going & why go??

SELEM 2013--Aug 15 to 19th(depending on how many days you can allow)

http://www.photon???icon.com/forums...al!)-August-16th-18-Sign-up-now!?p=255695#top

quote in part from the SELEM thread at the show forum

the above link is not complete- & I am 'bending' the rules by posting it.
either you can remove the ?s and put what needs to go there or visit that form and find this thread there. TY hak

"from buffo"
South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (SELEM)

It's hard to believe it, but this year will be our 7th annual SELEM. As always, it will be held in The Newton-Conover Auditorium in Newton, North Carolina. This year the dates are Friday, August 16th through Sunday, August 18th.

Registration will be $60 per laserist, and that will get you admission to the event plus one SELEM polo shirt. Your family and guests may attend with you for free, and you may pre-order extra shirts for you or your guests for $20 each. You can send your registration fee (or payments for extra shirts) to me via paypal at: adburns( PM me for the Adams PP addy or his mailing address for those not wanting to use PP-), or you can mail a check or money order to me at:

Adam Burns

end quote..
(PM for rest of adams home addy)

NOTE VERY Important that you
1) read the ENTIRE thread at the show forum- its in the 'meets 'n greets' section.
2) if paying via PP you NEED to send as Personal $$, 'owed for services'- this is not an 'ITEM" you are buying so it IS a payment that NEEDS to be sent w./o a fee!!

PP has no right to take a bite from this payment--
The amount 'stolen' from each $60 sent is not a trivial amount!!
SEND AS "PERSONAL"
AT best SELEM is a break even affair- and that does NOT take into consideration of the MANY hours spent by Adam arranging all this-
it is very LITTLE to ask that you help by paying as PERSONAL or by sending Adam your personal check--

To be FAIR please pay your $60 ASAP- if you were Adam you would want this too.

Sure you can drag your feet and even show up to pay at the door- but you get no shirt, no lower price and NO LOVE from those who pay WAY in advance-
Money MUST be sent in advance to rent the venues--

MAKE the commitment- pay the $60 asap- begin your plan on getting there-

a carpool is a great way to keep the over all costs down-

WE spend VERY little time at the HIE- they give us a discount and have no issue with squeezing extra peeps in the rooms & suites
(bring an air bed if you have one)

HIE has all the bedding- so no need to bring your own-- the DO have rollwaways but not so many that you can count on getting one.
IF you are flying & need an air bed- I can bring extras..

FLYING is expensive- you still need to get yrself to the venue and NO airports are close to Newton NC- add the cost of a rent car and you may wish you had driven.

More from Adam's thread...

"quote
Everyone will need to sign a liability waiver (including guests) prior to entering the auditorium. Mature children are welcome to attend with parental supervision, but remember that this is an at-risk event; your guests are your responsibility. Also, no weapons of any kind (concealed or otherwise) are allowed at the event.

Load-in and setup will be on Thursday, August 15th, from noon until 5 PM. We could really use some help with the load-in this year, especially with the audio gear! Mario has agreed to bring those huge folded-horn subwoofers again, but we will need some assistance moving them. If you'd like to volunteer for that, reply in this thread please!

SELEM officially begins on Friday, Augst 16th at 10 AM. As always, we'll run until midnight on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday we will need to start shutting down around 5 PM so we can be out of the auditorium no later than 8 PM.

The plan for the auditorium is the same as last year: 3 to 5 solid-state RGB projectors on-stage facing the audience for beams and atmospheric shows (still need to determine exactly which projectors), with DZ's dual-head graphics projector mounted in the balcony (and fed with Jeff's 6 watt Coherent whitelight) facing towards the stage to display on the large screen in front of the curtain. We will have a control station at the back of the auditorium (near the sound booth) where people can connect to the projectors for either beam or graphics show presentations.

We will have the cafeteria area available for "Club-SELEM" again this year, and unlike last year we should have access to the cafeteria for the duration of SELEM, so we can set up in there on Thursday at the same time we're setting up in the auditorium. As before we will have a DJ station in there, but this time we will also set up a master control station near the back where anyone can plug-in their controller and run all the projectors in the room if they want. We will probably have a DMX control station back there as well to run some of the moving-head lighting fixtures along with the beam rails. (Really hoping to have both of Flecom's Mobo-laser rails in there as well as the X-pod system from X-laser set up as well.)

We will also have the upstairs classroom set aside for our use for special presentations. And of course, the backstage area will be available for the buy-and-sell tables and the "ion laser work room". The gallery/lobby area can be used for discussions, relaxing and/or other demonstrations as needed.

Things that still need to be discussed:

1) Logo design for this year's SELEM shirt
2) List of shows people want to run in the auditorium
3) List of presenters for classroom area
4) Possibility of another ILDA LSO class after SELEM (very popular over the last 2 years) Greg Makhov is available to teach - need 6 people min to hold the class.
5) Which beam projectors will be used in the auditorium this year

The event is about 5 months away at this point, so now would be a good time to start making travel plans. Remember to sign up early, or you may not get a shirt! (The shirt order has to be sent off about 3 weeks before SELEM starts so they'll be done in time.) And if you've got any questions, comments, or suggestions, now is the time to post them!

Adam(buffo)

LAST REQUEST

If you feel that you cannot 'go with the program' they please just stay at home-

I have put my butt/rep on the line when it comes to mostly LPF members attending an event that is mostly a lasershow forum deal-
I have essentualy 'vouched' for all LPF members that attend.
Some I know & have met and some who are more or less complete strangers...
PLEASE do nothing there that will make both of us(& LPF) look bad.

- bringing handhelds can be a problem.. but ONLY IF you do not use COMMON SENSE- they cannot be used outdoors- especially at the Inn or the venues.
And if you use one during one of the laser shows --that could be a BIG problem. KINDA like bringing a trumpet to a concert-- dumb idea if you use it during the show.

Many show operators own one handheld at best and then it is more likely a low mW pointer used to show where things like mirror balls and bounce mirrors are to be located. To them it is a TOOL not a TOY. I bring a bunch and like to show them off. So DO bring yours we love to see ones that we do not have like yellow- 473 blue- etc.

The room set aside for BS&T is very popular- it is run on the honor system- to date there have been almost n/ps- we donot HAVE to 'sit' on our items- we place them on tables- with or w/o prices and a card with the selller names on it will be enough to have potential buyer seek you out to do the deal- we do not(most anyway) feel the need to pack up our stuff each nite- it has always been safe to leave it there til Sunday early evening. The venue provided a night watchman-

IMO the suites at HIE are the best way to go and save$$-- they have two beds in one room and a couch in the other & a full kitchen( bring some food from home and save$$$) I have paid no mre than 25$ per nite by sleeping 4 or 5 into a suite. ATM you need to focus on the transportation- all the rest will fall into place ONCE you have that part covered.

I can put you with people wanting others to share lodging.

MORE from ADAM..

The event is about 5 months away at this point, so now would be a good time to start making travel plans. Remember to sign up early, or you may not get a shirt! (The shirt order has to be sent off about 3 weeks before SELEM starts so they'll be done in time.) And if you've got any questions, comments, or suggestions, now is the time to post them!

Adam

List of people who have registered:

Buffo
Bradfo69
Swamidog
Displaser
DZ
Hakzaw1
Dkumpula

REMEMBER WHILE AT SELEM 7 YOU ARE REPRESENTING BOTH YOURSELF AND OUR FORUM.

Try to either arrive early (like Thursday morning) AND/or stay late (like sunday night) to do YOUR share of helping set-up and tear down- I understand that many cannot just take off from work- BUT many DO-- and its a part of the whole SELEM experience you really need to do.

Lasershow Operator/Owner sounds like a dream job- but it (like many) is not ALL fun- there is a lot of hard work -- and if you even are just thinking about this profession then-- you SHOULD see all that they MUST do to put on the show-the guys there are friendly- so just ask any of them what they want you to do.

For 40$ (we pay 60$ but 20$ of that is for your VERY nice moniogrammed knit polo shirt) you get invaluable experiences- see MANY hours of lasershows in a totally private setting.

Attending just one of the demos-, seminars, classes ETC is well worth that amount.

The door prizes are many in number and some are worth 500$

I was very lucky at SELEM 5&6 winning items worth that amout EACH year. At least one QS FB3(AixiZ) will be in the pool- several AixiZ lab lasers, complete(except audio) laser show 'songs' by Mike Dunn himself!!($500 value & if you win... AND its is yours to use in any way you want)

Gift certificates to companies that sell dichros- mounts- combining kits- etc- that drawing happens(iirc) on SAT ~5PM- so you NEED to be in the auditorium when that happens-

Free morning food at the HIE.

last year two company reps treated us to a huge pizza feast and a FULL OPEN bar at the venue (we could did not drink it all)

If you want to hear what others think about SELEM- I can provide you with the usernames of MANY here at LPF who attened before- hak

ps yeah I know this is a lot to read--- boo hoo:tsk::cryyy:

AND maybe it should be posted in the lasershow board but as we have no LEM board I choose to put it here- closer to the top where all can find it.--hak

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL BEFORE YOU ASK Qs.;)

Last edited:

Great Jeff-- I knew you would be back-
We had a great time last year!!
My only complaint about SELEM is- I wish it ran for a week- & of course I also wish I did not need to sleep -- also as there is now a second venue at the same place its a toss-up where to be & when-

WE have room for MANY more to attend. We had 100+ once and could have accomidated 500 more.. This is a private event -- NOT open to the public.

Due to regs for laser shows we can only allow forum members and their guests and all must sign an insurance waiver of liability-

that allows us to pretty much go anywhere we want. even back stage if you are quiet and careful..

Try to bring a least two cameras- there is a remote possiblity that you *could* burn some pixels if your digital camera takes a direct beam hit- so your older camera should be used in the balcony area as you WILL be scanned up there. If you own some fancy Cannon or NIkon DSL take care where you use them..if you have a 35mm film camera and some film you have no such worries.

also it a good idea to bring a small led flashlight to see where you are walking-

hak

Last edited:

DJZ

SELEM 2013--Aug 15 to 19th

Sweet! I wonder if they'd let me attend? Can I bring my yellow pointer?
icon10.gif

I might actually be able to attend this one but I would not be able to get there before Saturday as I will be attending the PGI convention in
Pennsylvania ( PGI - 2013 Convention) which is over on the 16th and then I'll have to drive like a mad man approx 600 miles to get to SELEM :tsk:

But I'm sure it's going to be worth it ;)

Now that's a swell idea I'd love to go down under, I always wanted to visit Coober Pedy and Lightening Ridge :D

Being in the complete opposite part of the nation, is there a "LEM" that entertains my portion of the country?

Sweet! I wonder if they'd let me attend? Can I bring my yellow pointer?
icon10.gif

TROLLLL!! David Z. you rascal!! you will get some payback when I see you again at SELEM!! lol
I am pretty sure those questions have s been answered-- read the OP again my friend.
We have many coming ever year from Florida- Pangolin sends several from the Orlando area.

Google SELEM for tons of info and vids from past SELEM events.

This year will be #7- I have been to the last three and will be at as many more has I can possibly attend.

Even if its just to stay on top of both SELEM and other LEMs you should join the lasershow forums. That is home base for LEMs around the world.

IF you are sincere about SELEM...

1) send Adam your shirt size and the $60- do that asap(PP that as a gift/personal.)
2) make plans to be off work for around 5 or 6 days
3) look into all your options for transportation.
4) get with others to share rooms and keep the cost low.

SW Air just added Charlotte to there destinations. You should try to plan to arrive when you can share a rental car with others flying in. There are no airports real close to Newton NC. Last year I flew in to S.C. as that airport is closer than some other in N. C.

Below are pics from SELEM last year on the left is MarioMaster(Alex) to the right is Dr.Evil (James0 and n the middle is whitcher88 (Bill) In the hand of James is his magic box-- a completely self contained portable three color Lumia box- very nice build the lumia effect is show here on the ceiling just outside the conference room that was ours to use for after hours BS sessions and even more lasers. Buffo(Adam B) could not keep a straight face - he is the one that really makes the SELEM event happen. here we have Zach aka Laserman 121 and hakzaw1.

Next is Jeff(aka jeffrey00) and his lovely sister Natalie (she brought her build.. a
laser built inside a Altoids box and last is DJZ/DZ aka David from post#4 above
DZ prolly has been to every SELEM and FLEM events in Orlando Fl.

DZ's Yellow laser IIRC is a big gasser with a PACOM- A awesome laser that without SELEM prollly woud never had seen one, especially upclose and personal.

PM me with any Qs you may have-----Len
I have Buffo's PP addy for your attendee fee and his mailing address if you want to mail a check..

UPDATE 6/2 2013-- SELEM is shaping up- we STILL need as many as possible to send their shirt size(s)- and attendee fee(60$ total)
and PLEASE if doing this by PP make the payment 'personal' money owed for services or a way that keeps PP from taking a bite..

IF you have an artistic side Please create your own logo and send this to buffo- It needs to be embroider-friendly and include SELEM VII or 2013
and Best if it has RGB laser beams- The best one submitted will be used on 70+ Polo shirts for this years event.. to see past LOGOs got to P/L and check them out at the 'meets n greets' section.

I do not recommend the 'dont look at beams with remaining good eye' elements- eye damage and safety are no joking matter at SELEM(so bring your eye-ware and keep them on you while watching shows in either venue. The balcony is NOT for everyone- you Must do your best to keep any direct hits from your eyes- wear your glasses until you find a spot up there that is LESS dangerous... but know this: there are NO Spots up there that are totally beam free- When I go up there to take pics I keep the brim of my hat low enough to help keep my eyes protected and look thru my cameras to see what is going on. A stray shot to the eyes is bad BUT if this happens when you are looking directly at one of the projectors (as many as 12 Full color PJs are used at BOTH venues) the possible danger is much worse.

While back stage is NOT totally off-limits be extra careful going there during the shows-

there are wires/lines/cords etc running everywhere- so watch where you step and it may be a good idea to ask anyone backstage where you can go and go there safely--BRING a small light with you to SELEM as the venue is kept very dark and you will need your light to tread safely.

guests are welcome- but none of your guests can also be forum members- they need to register and also pay the 60$-- IF you can only atttend a day you should discuss this with Buffo- likewise if you intend to bring any minors to SELEM.
WE have a few 'younger' laser entahusists every year they are great guys and future Lasershow Operators--PM me anytime if you need answers to your Qs.

Attachments

• SELEM and MUGSHOTS 003.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 273
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 063.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 063.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 374
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 052.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 052.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 370
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 054.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 054.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 354
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 025.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 025.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 298
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 013.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 013.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 448
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 011.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 011.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 316
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 020.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 020.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

DJZ

Oh geez, you didn't have to dig up that photo, did you?! Oh well!

Buffo does a fantastic job organizing this event. That being said, I'm sure he could use some volunteers that can commit to handling certain tasks. Regarding the yellow, I was refering to a pointer I picked up here recently, however the yellow you mention was from the 6W Coherent, which is probably doing 600 to 800mW of yellow! And the PCAOM handles it nicely.
icon10.gif

D

Deleted member 16589

BUMP Do not let this thread go off the latest post list LOL.

When i get a chance i will set up another route to SELEM map

ARG

Always wanted to go to a LEM. SELEM 2018 is probably when I'll get the chance to go :p

D

Deleted member 16589

Man i want to go. Just to far away :(
Charge a $1 service fee per laser in your next group buy. :p you will have the money for the trip in no time. Heck I would have payed it last group buy if it meant you coming to selem.