Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Robert gionis !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've had so many "hits" on this "Gonis Sucks" thread that it has already made Google ;)

Number one, numero uno, topo da lista.......

Dave you rock!

gonard.gif

My post only came in second place, I feel so lame.... :crackup::crackup:

nard2.gif

Last edited:

I think the clincher is this:

In the world of laser diodes THERE ARE NO REFUNDS OR RETURNS. EVER. NO MATTER WHO YOU BUY FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could buy diodes direct from Coherent or JDSU and you won't be able to return them for any reason. Laser diodes are just too sensitive and you never know just what skill set the buyer has (if any). If you're going to work with laser diodes, you better get used to the return policy. You also need to make sure you treat the diodes right so you don't kill them repeatedly. Constantly buying new diodes gets old real fast.

For instructions on care and feeding of laser diodes, see this section of Sam's laser FAQ: Sam's Laser FAQ - Diode Lasers

Last edited:
He appears to suffer from both punctuation and spelling deficiencies. I THINK he was saying that he spent $30 on two sleds/diodes

Although I grant it is difficult enough to read what he writes to understand the confusion.

:thinking:Hmmmmmm:thinking:

Peace,
dave

I read this... that he said....:whistle:
Originally Posted by Ronnie James Diode

I just paid thirty dollars for two 2200maH batteries

I think he he may be exaggerating or actually has no clue as to
the market price of AA batteries...:wtf:

Jerry

Last edited:
Hey Flamin, do you use a driver as well when you use the regulated PSUs?

Rob

I can't speak for Flamin', but I do not. If I'm using my constant current variable bench supply for testing diodes, I don't use drivers. As long as the PS is constant-current a driver should not be required, but it is imperative that you make sure the connections at the diode are not easily moved or broken. I just stick the diode into an electronics breadboard and gradually apply and remove power.

daguin

I read this... that he said....:whistle:
I think he he may be exaggerating or actually has no clue as to
the market price of AA batteries...:wtf:
Jerry

Ahhhh! I found it. It was in the middle of one of his rants. I admit that I didn't read his whole rant and, No, I am not sorry :na:

It's amazing how often we see the same types of "techniques" used by the same types of people, eh?

Exaggeration (especially extreme) is still a lie.

Peace,
dave

Earlier, he was talking about providing "330 maH" --- That's current x time. He also sets his power supply to provide maH.... Maybe I'm missing something. mA and maH are not the same IIRC.
Also your and you're are not the same as I was taught.

HMike

I can't speak for Flamin', but I do not. If I'm using my constant current variable bench supply for testing diodes, I don't use drivers. As long as the PS is constant-current a driver should not be required, but it is imperative that you make sure the connections at the diode are not easily moved or broken. I just stick the diode into an electronics breadboard and gradually apply and remove power.

I designed my "simple driver" from a basic driver schematic that I tested on my breadboard! They are nice to have for just such things! I do have pretty solid tempory connectors. LaserSurplus has some realy nice LD sockets and Radioshack has some really handy micro clamps I use them as heatsinks when soldering mainly but they are good connectors as well!

Thanks for your reply

Correct, as long as your bench supply is a good supply and is clean on start up. This is very checkable with an o-scope, so it's easy to make sure you're not getting big spikes on start-up or anything like that.

Any a quality bench supply shouldn't have start-up spikes or transients that are too extreme, but it's always a good idea to make sure.

Also, a power supply doesn't have to be constant current. Especially with bench supplies where you can ramp carefully and you ramp every diode from zero, constant voltage is just as effective as constant current. Constant current is probably safer for "set-it-and-forget-it" drivers in portables, but both are just as good with a bench supply that is ramped from zero every time you use it.

I start up with the diode disconnected and the current and voltage set to 0. I then connect the diode and ramp the I/V up and down gently during the testing. That eliminates the possibility of a spike on startup reaching the diode.

You people are goofy as hell!!! First off I purposely killed alot of diodes in my own destructive TESTING!!! Using two generic AA batteries is not going to give you that kind of amperage!!! Lithiums yes alkalines no!!! I do use drivers I have a flex drive on the way and have tried others! I like the rkcstrV3!
There is no need to limit the voltage if its below what the LD can handle I don't test every diode that I get! I have installed close to 20 diodes this week all work fine! I installed his LD with a driver and it did not work so I checked the remaining ones!
Yes I discharged the capacitor and also verified that there was no voltage with a meter!
I don't plan on selling anything here ever! I gave you the information you asked for! I prefer to sell locally it is much easier! Besides does anybody here really need somebody to build them a laser? I don't think so!

As far as the market price for batteries, I did overpay but needed them that day!
Go to Radioshack and price the Enercell 3.6V 2200maH Tadrian high energy lithium batteries before you call me a liar! These were needed for my first build with a driver!
Go tou Youtube and watch my videos most of those are without a driver just a protected circuit to keep polarity correct absorb any spiking! A 3V 80-100maH circuit needs no regulation on the voltage! Those LDs are still working fine!

And what is this I sold stuff on E-Bay in 2003? I did not even have a account with them in 2003!!! And you want to say I exaggerate things?
Truth is he has some faulty diodes and is trying to unload them on guys like me!

rgio6006

eBay Feedback Profile for rgio6006

My last sale was Feb-16-09 19:20

You need to be more accurate in your reporting! And pay attention to the details when you read! You keep misquoting me and leaving out alot of signifigant details!

If something looks to good to be true it probably is! greg is selling LOCDs for $8.25 a piece, way cheaper than anybody else! But check his pricing on everything else is $10 to $20 more than any place!
There is a reason he is selling them so cheap! In the long run I actually paid $17 a peice
Believe what you want people your gonna anyway!
And yes my spelling and punctuation hell me grammer in general is horrible! Science, math and history where my best subjects in school I sucked in english (Boring)

As far a destroying LDs many of you here have also done the same to find the limits of certain diodes! How many of you have build a laser mod then dropped it thrown it overpowered it purposely? I sell my builds and want to know what they can take! Also after destruction I do what little forensics I can! I do take returns and I am sure some of these I sold will come back! I need to be able to diagnose failures! I don't want to rip off anybody if I sell them a bad LD!

:na:

I also have a small ~5 mA resistor across the output of my PS units to act as bleeders.

HMike

Again I ask. Does maH = mA ?? I'm still missing something.

Last edited:
@ EF and PBD...
I hear you... If you are using a Lab Quality Bench supply there is
no problem...

But the majority of members here will see this and buy a $50-$150
cheap Chinese bench supply and will blow Laser Diodes left and right...
without knowing why...

I bought one of those cheap supplies ($130.00)... The Voltage and
current control pots are single turn and erratic..
It is so easy to overshoot the Voltage and current you want to set
to... I will not put a Laser Diode on that piece of crap... It's great
to power LD Drivers thought...

In all LD destruction safety... I wouldn't suggest to the members to
use a Non Lab quality Bench Supply as a direct LD driver...

Just my
2c.gif

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.