Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: 510nm Direct Green Diodes / Build Photos (DGH-N1, DGH-N2)

Very nice review and great pictures from both of you, I can't believe the time has come that green laser diodes are ending up in the hands of hobbyists.

It has been cool watching the progression of laser diode technology in the nearly five years I've been on LPF. I remember when the first DIY 10mW 405nm builds came out, and people were paying hundreds to get their hands on their own 405nm laser diodes. Here's one of the first 405nm builds: http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/daedals-new-bluray-laser-33556.html

Holy Vf batman! Even though i've been in the loop on the 510's for a while, Aryntha never mentioned the 8V Vf to me heh. I'm going to have to seriously rethink my host choice for mine.. which sucks. I was expecting the Vf to run somewhere between the 445's and 405's. Bleah.

Hey that was me! Direct green is a matter of interest to the entertainment industry.

True.. I never miss an opportunity to jab PL though.. you know this man! No offense to you of course, share away! That's what this community is and has always been all about..

Next thing you know some of the members there will be going on about how they invented green diodes and LPF is a trashbin completely full of idiots who can't even tie their shoes much less innovate and conduct real research.. You know that's what they do lol..

Ok I've said my bit.. back on topic!

Last edited:
Eek, you're right. Lazerer copied you, yet I make the mistake on yours :embarrassed:

I think you should fight them to take that confusingly similar domain name away ;)

I wish it was that easy.:(

True.. I never miss an opportunity to jab PL though.. you know this man! No offense to you of course, share away! That's what this community is and has always been all about..

Next thing you know some of the members there will be going on about how they invented green diodes and LPF is a trashbin completely full of idiots who can't even tie their shoes much less innovate and conduct real research.. You know that's what they do lol..

Ok I've said my bit.. back on topic!

I think that the guys at PL will be some of the first to determine the proper white balance needed to make tiny projectors. If these diodes are polarized any, there will surely be some beam stacking to watch for and some better color mixes to see.

This is with the assumption that these diodes will be more widely available sometime in the future. It could be a bad assumption I suppose.

Time to hit the white board for some new drivers...

You'll never hear me say that PL is full of idiots who are incapable of contributing. You WILL see me point out clearly the times that they milk from our forum because it goes against their claims that LPF is worthless. I am and will always be loyal to LPF first because I've been steeped in the knowledge, innovation and research that our forum does for the laser community as a whole.

Also, I woudn't necessarily assume that PL will be the first to do as you suggest they will.. I have it on VERY good authority that LPF's laser show section is being graced with some very experienced people from the greater laser show community who are also tiring of PL FAST.. including at least one founding member of PL. I would expect some growth there in a big way over the next months.

I don't think that there will be a lot of interest in DI green for mixing until we see some that are multimode and around 520-540nm. I would LOVE to have some single-color projectors that produce 1W or more at 510 nm though... love the teal color and it's not ALWAYS about full-color projectors. My most visually impressive systems are single color, and people tell me that they enjoy them the most. Full color systems are great, but only when you're talking 5W or more IMO.

Last edited:
This is with the assumption that these diodes will be more widely available sometime in the future. It could be a bad assumption I suppose.

Time to hit the white board for some new drivers...

I think at this time, that is a fairly bad assumption. From what I know of these particular diodes, these are merely 'transition' diodes on the way to higher wavelengths. They aren't intended for production devices, and it won't surprise me any if they quit being available once the processes improve to the point that 520nm+ is reliably produced.

This is also why I want to get one while I can, even though these aren't (and won't ever be) anywhere near cheap.

And for anyone actually seriously interested in buying one of these. I suggest talking to RHD or Aryntha in PM about it, since there are.. stipulations.. that have to be met, plus i'm well aware of how hard they worked to get this particular source that would normally not be available to the laser hobbyist community.

Unfortunately they're entirely useless to me at 50mW. I need class IV preferably, but I'd take >100mW CW.. such a beautiful color though. I hope they don't discontinue them, instead I hope they make high-powered versions.

Last edited:

Doc

You'll never hear me say that PL is full of idiots who are incapable of contributing. You WILL see me point out clearly the times that they milk from our forum because it goes against their claims that LPF is worthless. I am and will always be loyal to LPF first because I've been steeped in the knowledge, innovation and research that our forum does for the laser community as a whole.

Also, I woudn't necessarily assume that PL will be the first to do as you suggest they will.. I have it on VERY good authority that LPF's laser show section is being graced with some very experienced people from the greater laser show community who are also tiring of PL FAST.. including at least one founding member of PL. I would expect some growth there in a big way over the next months.

I don't think that there will be a lot of interest in DI green for mixing until we see some that are multimode and around 520-540nm. I would LOVE to have some single-color projectors that produce 1W or more at 510 nm though... love the teal color and it's not ALWAYS about full-color projectors. My most visually impressive systems are single color, and people tell me that they enjoy them the most. Full color systems are great, but only when you're talking 5W or more IMO.

So, errr, what's up Doc? :shhh:

All these display people showing up heh. I really should start on my projector since I have all the stuff, at least for a single color.

All these display people showing up heh. I really should start on my projector since I have all the stuff, at least for a single color.

you keep saying that JUST DO IT :D its so cool once its working
im buying lsx today too:whistle:

LSRFAQ

Osram once estimated 45$ for 20 mW of 510 once in production. That was two years ago, and then they stopped hinting at samples. I placed a order for a sample and was told the sample offer was retracted, as they ran out of samples due to preproduction issues. SO if these are the Osrams, nice that they have reached the community.

510 blows away 532 hands down for "Greeness"

Are they strongly polarized?

Because 170 mW of 635 (61633) 60 mW of Blue (Nich*a single mode blue, 69$ in ones) and one of these would make a great white system.

Steve