Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM07E 465nm 2.9W Diode Test (Hitting 470nm+)

How bad is the stock lens that comes on these? Does it give a horrible beam profile or does it kill the power? Or both?

DTR

How bad is the stock lens that comes on these? Does it give a horrible beam profile or does it kill the power? Or both?

They are set to spread almost like a flashlight which is all you would need in a DLP projector to illuminate a phosphor wheel that is a few inches away but as I said in the NUBM41 thread I think it is their best strategy to date they have come up with to discourage us from wanting to use their diodes for other purposes. Remember the datasheet actually lists as a feature "high safety structure to prevent removing LD's" so you know that is a main goal of theirs to make these diodes less desirable or accessible to us. Anyway to make anything resembling a beam out of this you have to remove the can entirely which there still is a possibility of back fill of a special gas in the can to prevent oxygen degradation to the dye and the hazard of particles getting on the dye or bond wires which the stand windowed cans would protect against. I worry there will be a high failure/degradation issue with them.

But on the flip side you still can get a 465-470nm+ 3W+ laser for reality cheap so it may be worth it in some applications to deal with any increased failure rates. Diodes are fairly easy to swap out.

These are awesome and I have some on the way for testing but i am very concerned about selling diodes you have to rip the can off to use leaving the dye exposed. I may not carry them till I can find a source with a regular can on them like the NUBM44's compared to the NUBM41's.

Oh mannnnnn.... Already to pull the trigger. What's up with that "G" diode in Angelo's vid?

DTR

Oh mannnnnn.... Already to pull the trigger. What's up with that "G" diode in Angelo's vid?

The one with the G on it is a 520nm diode he will be posting some info on it soon so don't want to steal his thunder on that one. It in the same package as this diode with the ball lens/can thing though.:beer:

Where can I get one with the stock lens still on? I would like to try and correct the beam after the "ball lens". I figure its worth a shot.

Where can I get one with the stock lens still on? I would like to try and correct the beam after the "ball lens". I figure its worth a shot.

Hmmmm ???? :undecided::undecided::undecided:

I wonder if " De-Balling " it really lowers the life ??? And I also wonder....as with the P73 and Oclaro 63193....if we do not start the optical correction very close the die.....will we be able to correct the beam in time before it diverges too quickly ???

Please keep us posted LS !!!! Thanx !!!

Posted a Graph in the OP.:)

Its nothing Special. Sadly we thought it might be More power then the 1W canned version but its not. Ill still post on it just to compair. Already got the images and stuff but it wont be a super long post as there nothing to write home about.

The one with the G on it is a 520nm diode he will be posting some info on it soon so don't want to steal his thunder on that one. It in the same package as this diode with the ball lens/can thing though.:beer:

No worries.;)

Felebay

You ever go past the F of a Lens.? and the beam spreads out? thats exactly what the stock lens is set at. The lens is an Aspheric lens with a FL of 8mm IIRC.

So it can be done to refocus the beam but iam not sure if it will be exactly like using a single element from the start.

Last edited:
Felebay

You ever go past the F of a Lens.? and the beam spreads out? thats exactly what the stock lens is set at. The lens is an Aspheric lens with a FL of 8mm IIRC.

So it can be done to refocus the beam but iam not sure if it will be exactly like using a single element from the start.

Thanks for the info. So before I screw up and order the wrong NUB is this the same diode as from the NUBM507T? I see them in fleabay from techhood. There is also another unnamed 465nm from seller existotem.

There may be hope of using a secondary lens to collimate? May be more trouble than its worth. We'll see.

gif

I am looking forward to that G diode review as well lazeerer :D. oh boy so many new diodes.

Is it just me or does it look like someone scraped the "465" off the diode on purpose :thinking:

gif

Is it just me or does it look like someone scraped the "465" off the diode on purpose :thinking:
it seems that way, but it could have happened during the extraction process :thinking:

Last edited:

DTR

it seems that way, but it could have happened during the extraction process :thinking:

I was thinking it may be during the extractio as well. If so that would mean they are putting pressure on the diode base to push it out.:eek:

Hopefully not and they just were trying to obscure the barcode.

I don't understand the relationship of the lens to the can. When you extract these diodes, is the can attached to the housing or is the lens actually the window in the can?

Does anyone know for a fact if the GaN semiconductor is oxygen or moisture sensitive or is this just a supposition.

An advantage to the de-caned diode is that an aspheric lens at say 8mm will experience a much lower surface intensity than a much closer window in a highly divergent beam. This shouldn't matter, but just a thought.

A solution to this contamination risk would be for DTR or anyone that harvested these diodes, to immediately install them into a mount with a G-2 lens already in place with a PTFE tape seal. He could sell them as a unit because they will need a collimator anyway. If the mount was a simple cylinder with a rear compression plate then these could be installed into a variety of supports in pointers or projectors or machine tools.

This may become more and more necessary as more manufacturers try to limit reuse by using this technique.

DTR

Yea the lens basically replaced the window and is part of the can. The can is also really tall to support the focal length of the lens.

0uUsxC.jpg

HHAyEe.jpg