Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lpf noob team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun

All I see now is noobs looking for 1W blues :(

Same here. I'm very surprised with the amount of noobs that are willing to buy such a powerful laser. Maybe there could be different divisions of the Noob Team; Safety, DIY, Science, etc. Just an idea :p

Same here. I'm very surprised with the amount of noobs that are willing to buy such a powerful laser. Maybe there could be different divisions of the Noob Team; Safety, DIY, Science, etc. Just an idea :p

I recall old times when we where flooding with newbies asking about kipkays laser project. Like "I've discovered LPF when searching for kipkay dvd burner laser how to..."

I'm worried about that, to be honest.

Great idea, let me know if you need a hand. :)

:wtf:When on earth did that happen???:eek: Its pointless at the bottom where people and especially the Noobs won't see it...:tinfoil:I vote to put it back up top!! ;) :beer:

I agree... it should be put back at the too of the Forum pages.
Thus way all the noobs can't possibly miss it and have another
excuse why they didn't use it.

Besides there are dozens of posts where I explained that the
Search bars ARE at the TOP of the Forum pages...
Those post now make no sense...

Jerry

This is a great idea! At least this way, noobs could be treated with respect and get their questions answered.

Two things that are frustrating me are
1) The abuse of noobs for asking asinine questions that are easily answered.
2) The flood of noob question threads.

Maybe the team could direct the noob via the PM system to let these useless threads find their way to the back of the threads list. It's so annoying to hunt through the "what diode burns best" threads to find actually useful threads!

I'll post this than jump out... We were all no0bs at one point there are members here now that kinda police this forum as well as a team of moderators that carry out the policy of the site's owner, whom by the way, is very laid back and patient. The mods have a pretty good handle on how to deal with all types of new members, if some no0b has a attitude from the get go they will not get far:whistle:;):banned:.

I will say as of late we have had some really, REALLY active members, especially in the posting department,:whistle: most are strong minded, very opinionated and very skilled, to them I ask that "we" try to keep a level of professionalism that is conducive in building an atmosphere where learning and sharing can be the foremost attributes this forum is spoken about else where on the net.

This fraction of "teamno0b bashing" I feel is not @ all what Avery had envisioned when he started this forum I would say it if even if he was standing next to me, and to all who reads this post I simply ask that you sit back, relax, enjoy the no0bs, and let the mods smoke out the rift-raft:eg:. If you can't say anything nice or don't feel like helping out, let them stand unanswered this will give everyone the chance to see who we are dealing with.:thinking: their action or interaction after a long pause alone will speak volumes as to their character.

This hobby is not for everyone, but some people (after lurking) still want access to the highly intelligent people on this forum for one reason or another:na:, give them the time of day and it will come back as a blessing to you.:thanks:

P.S. when a new diode or the next big thing comes out (such as when the 445nm ca$io came out) we were to busy to worry about ferreting out brash no0bs so I guess what I'm trying to say is come on with the high powa greenie diode already:wave::na::eg::thanks:

FYI the serach bar got moved to the bottom for a loading reason. With the serach bar and ads at the top, apparently, the site took a while to load? Not for me but anyways, I posted a thread about moving it back to the top on the suggestions area so you guys can go support it there (if its still there, just woke up and havent checked yet)

Starting to make a logo in a few minutes after I eat. Also this team wouldn't spoon feed info. We can answer the question if we want but i thibk showing them how to utilize the site is a better thing than feeding them the answer. Feed thwm the answer and they will never learn, show them the site and they will learn for a life time ( poor attempt at changinf the old fishing saying)

Well if you feel this is worth your time then have at it, I don't fear you'd be steering anybody in the wrong direction, only that you'd be throwing away your time on ppl to lazy to do a little reading and searching. Maybe this will work out well though.

daguin

As far as I can tell, there is no function that would notify members when particular graphic is posted.
It would still rely on someone noticing it and PM'ing the other members of the "team"
This would be no different than what is possible now, except that members would just be PM'ing someone else to help instead of helping themselves

If you put together a list of members willing to help NooB's, just compile it and post it in the Welcome section.
Then let me know.
I'll sticky the list
Then members could post a link to the list in their signatures and others could post a link in thread where they noticed a NooB loose in the wild

Peace,
dave

OK something else bugging me,

Why on earth, is "spoon feeding" considered bad? Seriously?

First, a lot of people have been using the term so much that at this point, it's completely interchangeable with "giving straight answers".

I was spoon feeding noobs, I am spoon feeding them, and I will continue to do so. If anybody would like to step up and explain to me what exactly is wrong in the concept of "Answering a damned question" I would very much like to hear it!

Isn't a "tutorial" the exact same thing? Spoon feeding en masse? But that's OK, and answering a question is not? Wether the question was answered before or not is completely irrelevant.

And PLEASE, don't tell me that it results in a member continually asking questions and never doing research. Because that's total BS. If a member doesn't want to do any research, he won't do it no matter what answer you give him.

If, in other case, he just has troubles navigating the website and getting the hang of things, "spoon feeding" [henceforth typed: Answering] is a way to get a new member over the beginner's troubles and induce more interest into knowledge, which he will seek out sooner or later.

EDIT -

Oh and one more thing. Posting a "Noob alert" image as a reply to somebody's question? Could you take a step back and try to see if from the asker's perspective? Because if I were a noob and a reply like that came up, I'd conclude I'm being mocked for trying to learn something. It looks offensive and out of place. There's no need to post any graphics in the thread. There's no need to form a "team".

Is that person asking a question? Answer it.

Why formalities?

On the other hand, if anybody has a cute graphic to put in somebody's signature that claims the wearer of that banner is willign to answer all noob questions, it'd be great. I have a few ideas myself. Let's put up a contest? :D

Last edited:

daguin

Not everyone is able to "teach"
I am very pleased that you and a couple of others are, but you are in a very small minority
The vast majority of people get frustrated quickly with repeated questions and working with someone who just doesn't "get it"
Asking others to be like you is as ineffective as others asking you to be like them ;)

Let those that are willing, get on the list
Let the others refer the neophytes to those on the list
Everybody gets to be who they are and a need gets met

Then, if the Noob refuses to utilize the list, let loose the dogs of war ;)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
There's no need to form a "team".
Why formalities?

Well, people had this idea to avoid noobs (first posts) posting "where to buy 1000MW blu lazor" or "whats best lazor" threads, so leaving more space for important threads...

IMO Thats the purpose... I may be wrong anyways.
IMHO people should learn to not bash the noobs, and leave the questions to those who are willing to answer.

"If you don't like spoon feeding, just ignore the noob questions then. Don't bash, it does not mean that if the person have 1 or 2 posts, it has no feelings. Noob today, veteran tomorrow (or on the next year)."

On the other hand, if anybody has a cute graphic to put in somebody's signature that claims the wearer of that banner is willign to answer all noob questions, it'd be great. I have a few ideas myself. Let's put up a contest? :D

Something like this?
HereToHelp_300.jpg

(source: google)

edit: if the noob can't even PM members (that are on a list of "helpers"), the noob should not be trying to build lasers in my opinion. :)

Last edited:
I would say the term "spood-feeding" refers to rewarding excessive laziness.
In regards to the very simple noob questions.

Eudaimonium why should you use your time helping someone who isn't willing to help themselves. In that respect they view their time as being much more valuable than yours which IMO is a little disrespectful.

Not everyone is able to "teach"
I am very pleased that you and a couple of others are, but you are in a very small minority
The vast majority of people get frustrated quickly with repeated questions and working with someone who just doesn't "get it"
Asking others to be like you is as ineffective as others asking you to be like them ;)

Let those that are willing, get on the list
Let the others refer the neophytes to those on the list
Everybody gets to be who they are and a need gets met

Then, if the Noob refuses to utilize the list, let loose the dogs of war ;)

Peace,
dave
Thanks for kind words,

to orange section,

Well I can understand that. Not many people have a lot of spare time on their hands to dedicate to typing out answers. That's perfectly understandable.

What is not, though, is if you don't want to answer a noob, then don't answer. What I see a lot of people do instead, is so illogical that I cannot believe my eyes: Type out a lenghty post criticizing the poster's lack of knowledge or skill and instructing him to do some searching. I'd like to kindly ask to people reading this: DON'T DO IT. If you don't wanna answer it, somebody else will. I WILL. But don't belittle people simply for not yet learning a concept.

Well, people had this idea to avoid noobs (first posts) posting "where to buy 1000MW blu lazor" or "whats best lazor" threads, so leaving more space for important threads...

Uhh, first off, no image is showing... :/

Next,

Questions like these are obviously fairly common, "Where to get best laser" etc. So why not, instead of telling them to "search", we fetch a few links with tutorials or guides and post them so the member can read them? We already know they exist, we know where to find them, we can even have it bookmarked. If they don't yet exist to answer specific noob questions, we'll write them.

Problem is that most people are eager to get into something without understanding the fundamentals, in other words, they don't know what to search for in the first place.

Would you search for "what's the best car mod" in car enthusiast forum's search bar?

Likewise, how would a new person who doesn't know what a laser even consists of, find themselves searching for "M140 diode price" or "best glass lenses" when they don't even know what a diode or a lens is? They know that blue lasers exist, and that they want to have one.

We know where can the answers to noob questions be found. They don't. Isn't it our duty to help them out?

EDIT-
TheDukeAnumber1 said:
Eudaimonium why should you use your time helping someone who isn't willing to help themselves. In that respect they view their time as being much more valuable than yours which IMO is a little disrespectful.

No offense, but to me, that's nonsense. "Not being able to help yourself" is the cause for "somebody else helping". It's a very simple relation. I explained in above why people might "appear" to not be willing to help themselves.

Don't misinterpret somebody who doesn't know where to start (and be honest, we've all been there!) for somebody who wants a personal information-butler.

Do you believe that they will suddenly get the urge to "help themselves" if you tell them to do so? When has anything in the world worked like that?

Last edited:
For some, lasers and electronics can be difficult to understand. SOME really need help...

Stin

Is there a way to implement a banner that stays at the top of the forums if you are under a certain threshold of posts? For example, can there be a big red banner at the top of the forums that says, "New to the Forums? Click Here for EVERYTHING you should know" for people with under 15 or so posts and links to a sticky with references to all other important ones. I know some forums that actually make you read certain posts before you can actually enter that section. It has a time delay and everything. (Not that you can just leave it open and wait without reading it, but it helps i guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.