Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

List of 445nm diodes

Grix

Updated first post

EDIT: Missed your post, brtaman, I'll add you soon

Last edited:

Here is a photo of my 445nm host:
uv8.jpg

Operating parameters:
Current= 600ma
Power = 518mw
Lens = 445 Hi-Power w/Steel Aperture
Heatsink = 2.5 oz. Aluminum w/ Fins
Battery = 2800mah #18650
Driver = Direct Drive
Operating minutes = 90
Run Time > 1 Hour between charging

Source= AJ-X130

LarryDFW

Last edited:

daguin

Isn't the Microboost a boost driver? If so, the current you are measuring at the tailcap and the current flowing through the diode will be completely different values.

(somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Correct. When using a boost driver, you cannot measure the diode current by measuring on the battery side. The current drawn from the battery and the current delivered to the diode are NOT the same. The driver pulls more current to create the needed voltage boost. Plus, it draws more as the battery is drained.

His numbers are impressive, but not reliable

Peace,
dave

Laserov is right I think(if he is using a boost). That's just the current draw from the battery, and not the current going to the diode.
Edit: Daguin beat me to it!

Correct. When using a boost driver, you cannot measure the diode current by measuring on the battery side. The current drawn from the battery and the current delivered to the diode are NOT the same. The driver pulls more current to create the needed voltage boost. Plus, it draws more as the battery is drained.

His numbers are impressive, but not reliable

Peace,
dave

In that case, how should I measure it? I'll redo them.

Thanks!!
Jose

In that case, how should I measure it? I'll redo them.

Thanks!!
Jose

The way to set a boost driver is to create a test load out of four 1N4001 diodes and a 1-ohm resistor all in series. You connect the test load to the output of the boost driver and measure the output by reading the voltage across the 1 ohm resistor. It will read 1mV for each mA of current the driver is supplying to the load. Once the current is set where you want it, you connect the laser diode (after shorting the output pads of the driver together to drain any capacitor charges) and measure optical output. The boost driver you're using only provides up to 1A of current to the diode I believe, so with these diodes you can probably just turn the current all the way up.

Last edited:
Ah... the dummy load thingie, I complete forgot about it. I was doing like I was measuring it before and with flashlights! Agh! How "dummy" of me :yabbem: I just felt it was too easy, too good. I should buy me an LPM, that way I would had a hint that there was something off. Still is really powerful!!

I'll work on tonight, just need to them diodes, got the resistor.

Thanks guys,
Jose

I built a 445nm with a maxed out microboost at 1200mA and it outputs >1050mW (my laserbee wont measure greater than 1050mW)

not very accurate numbers but it says something about these diodes. About an hour worth of burn time on it.

P.S. My first build you have listed uses a microboost, 405-g-1, and an igorT host/heatsink v3 and this build uses a 405-g-1 and a jayrob 18650 kit with a microboost.

Last edited: