Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser self defense?

daguin

k-shell said:
I've always wondered if there are laws against SUPER BRIGHT light in general.

Like for example, what if I took the xenon flash tube for something like a jumbo jet and put a parabolic reflector behind it, and then I flashed it at someone... is that illegal?

Remember, even without a specific law against something, if it could cause harm there are laws to cover it

I.E. Assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, Malicious mischief, Interfering with a federal officer in the performance of his/her duty, Public endangerment, etc.

Peace,
dave

Never bring a laser to a gunfight :eek: I last qualified with a 99.2% for CCW permit.

Mike

JLSE

k-shell said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1222534757/0#11 date=1222549012]And for every time someone uses a laser to blind  another person even in self defense , im sure a nice ban will be imposed  in your area... :p
Agreed.

Use a 5watt high infrared laser with a scope, they (or no one else for that matter) would know what hit em![/quote]

I wouldnt exactly call that self defence... :-?

I.E. Assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, Malicious mischief, Interfering with a federal officer in the performance of his/her duty, Public endangerment, etc.

Peace,
dave

Gee... Those charges seem to roll off your tongue Dave :-? ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It would be ideal not to blind an attack but disorient them so you can get to safety. That would be the typical response from law enforcement, they never want you to solve things yourself...

JLSE

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=Ham549 link=1222534757/0#19 date=1222562347]What about a 600W laser with good optics and beam specs?

You wouldn't even need to aim at their eyes. Just burn them.[/quote]

Take it from GooeyGus, hes got a 600w laser in his closet ;D Beam shots please :eek:

daguin

lasersbee said:
I.E. Assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm,  Malicious mischief, Interfering with a federal officer in the performance of his/her duty, Public endangerment, etc.

Gee... Those charges seem to roll off your tongue Dave  :-?  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's not as much "fun" as it sounds like.

I teach argumentation and debate for a living. It's what my students want to talk about ;)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
I teach argumentation and debate for a living. It's what my students want to talk about ;)

Peace,
dave

Yeah, I'm sure you must get a lot of law students going through those courses, so you'd know all about it :)

Things

THink of it like this. You have a RPL and the other guy has a gun. Now think about it, for a start, the RPL has an emission delay, a keyswitch, dongle and shutter. So, the attacker is standing there with a gun, aimed at you. You go to pull out your RPL, which looks like a weapon in itself, all the attacker has to to is pull the trigger and your gone. In a RPL's case, you gotta put in the key switch, open the apperature cap, insert the dongle, then wait like 4 seconds for it to start! You'd be pretty much dead before the laser even started lasing :-/

A big ass flashlight would be better. They're not bad as a bludgeoning weapon, and if you have enough POWER you can blind them too.

One of the newer non-lethal tactics that SWAT (and I'm sure more) uses is getting a very high powered light or laser mounted on the gun... used for hostage type situations where they can temporarily blind/stun someone for just enough time to get what needs to be done done.

Things

Lasers would be OK if you HAD IT READY in your hand. If the attacker see's you pulling something out of your pocket he/she is gonna be suspicious :p

SMIDSY

In the UK the chances of your attacker having a gun are slim. So If up agains a knife I would suggest runnign and then using the laser as the laser travels at light speed a knife has limited range and is slower too....

Personally Id try not to get into the situation in the first place and you woudl be arrested here as anythign over 1mW here is illegal. As is carrying any blade over 4". As are tasers, mace, guns, most folding knives etc.

Switch

ArdvarkOfDoom said:
One of the newer non-lethal tactics that SWAT (and I'm sure more) uses is getting a very high powered light or laser mounted on the gun... used for hostage type situations where they can temporarily blind/stun someone for just enough time to get what needs to be done done.

Yea apparently that's what WL and that BS episode of future weapons thinks too. :D

Things said:
Lasers would be OK if you HAD IT READY in your hand. If the attacker see's you pulling something out of your pocket he/she is gonna be suspicious :p

My point EXACTLY.

IF you're being attacked, it's likely the hooligan already has ready access to his weapon of choice. For arguments sake here, I'm going with the worst case scenario and saying this fool has a pistol. This guy walks up to you and demands your wallet and car keys, and you go to reach for your laser (in your car, walking down the street, wherever) to blind this guy. He sees you reaching for something, this scared, nervous dude trying to mug you is going to fear for HIS LIFE, because he doesn't know what YOU are reaching for. It is VERY likely that he would have a panic reflex and CAP YO ASS just to be sure that you don't shoot him first.

And yes, we do use very bright lights on our weapons in swat type stuff to dazzle and disorient. It's not a weapon it's self, it's just designed to buy us an extra half a second. In the military police, we do not use visible lasers, at least not in any unit I've ever been in (well, not for SRT or normal MP stuff anyway).