Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Laser self defense?

Nanolaser

A laser for self defence in a stealth package is the answer.

1. The ipod
2. The briefcase
3. The mobile phone
4, And so on,...

I have talk about this on the mi6forums.co.uk some years ago.

xStatiCa

For any close up attacks I would think a laser would be rather useless. For far away attacks with a gun I would think a laser would also be useless. As soon as you raise something up to point at them they are going to pull the trigger thinking you are going to shoot them with something. If a cop sees a laser light they are going to think you are going to shoot a gun which was already mentioned.

I have no doubt that if you blind someone they are going to try and sue the crap out of you regardless what laws there are. This would especially be true if the laser defense was very effective and no harm was done to you. They might say you pulled the laser on them first.

My main concern though would be if it was in an area with other people around and you accidentally blind someone not attacking you on accident. What if there is an innocent person/window/mirror/etc that just happens to be around the attacker. Either a refraction or a direct laser to their eyes could blind them. With a bullet there is only one or a few trajectories. With a laser everywhere you wave that thing could cause damage to someone's eyes if it is very powerful.

For that last reason alone I would never think of using a laser for self defense.

With that said though... put me in that situation where I think my life is at stake and if a laser is all I had I can not say for sure I would not use it.