Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Thanks for supporting LPF!

Avery's Instagram

I've seen the light, and the light is white.

GooeyGus

Hey guys, I just recently picked up a batch of large argon lasers. Spectra physics 164/165/168's

One of the lasers was particularly interesting. Here's a couple shots:

photo-7.jpg

photo-6.jpg

I was especially excited when I fired the laser up. Here is what I found... Note the color of the plasma

whitelight.jpg

that's right! This is a mixed gas Ar/Kr whitelight laser!!!!

I haven't gotten the cavity aligned yet, but once I get it lasing I'll be sure to post some nice multi-watt white beam shots

Last edited:
Reactions: mfo

daguin

Sweet score!

Looking forward to the beam shots.

Peace,
dave

GooeyGus

I had to drive down past your neck of the woods to pick this thing up. All the way to Van Nuys in one shot! I tried to send you an email before hand to see if you wanted to meet up / shoot the shit, but I'm not sure if I sent it to the correct address....

daguin

I had to drive down past your neck of the woods to pick this thing up. All the way to Van Nuys in one shot! I tried to send you an email before hand to see if you wanted to meet up / shoot the shit, but I'm not sure if I sent it to the correct address....

CRAP! Van Nuys is only about 40 minutes from me (outside of rush hour).

I accept attachments from students. I have several layers of security between me and the email world. Your email probably got caught up in that somewhere.

I bet Glenn would have liked to meet you as well

Peace,
dave

Eudaimonium

Multiwatt white beamshots... :drool:

HOT damn, please do hurry!

D

Deleted member 8382

multiwatt white laser? :wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:

HIMNL9

Is that the 164 ?

It look as a 10 or 15W Ar/Kr unit ..... but i'm not an expert about these particular types of lasers (are years that i search one of them, but here in Italy, nothing to do) ..... if so, you've got a good toy, congratulations :beer: (and beware the high voltages ..... but i guess you already know this ;) :D)

Last edited:

GooeyGus

A healthy tube of this size should be able to squeeze out as much as 5W whitelight at full tilt.

The mixed gas brings down the power a bit. In comparison, my Ar only head will go as high as 9W at full current.

I've posted a ton of pictures if my argon 168, but here's another for reference. Note the color of the plasma... Not white! A nice light lavender instead.

000_1475.jpg

phoenix77

He probably already took them, he is just keeping us on hot frying pan for a while so his pics will make a big entrance BANG :D

I don't think so. Look at the post DATE & TIME. rob

PS, JASON, you have a PM waiting to be read.....

Hemlock_Mike

Gus --
I still like that liquid cooling chamber you set these lasers on top of.

HMike