Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

Here is my favorite host and laser the 1.9W 445nm Ehgemus Grooved Alien Host! Thank you DTR for selling me the beast and thank you Ehgemus for craftsmanship at its finest! The host is simply perfect to me! :bowdown:

Anyway ENJOY EVERYONE! :beer:

j7yxj4.jpg

35ivy15.jpg

2ueqy5e.jpg

rrqxzt.jpg

2w6cwvt.jpg

These are all awsome. There's so much creativity in this forum, but i can see this is going to get pretty chaotic and difficult to judge a winner. Everyone has their own favourite in mind, and so far only 2 have received more than one vote. So i'm going to change the rules a little.

Everyone who wants to join in, submit one build created by you. Entries will be allowed until this Friday (the 7th) when I will collect up all the entries and make them into one thread with a poll. We can then all vote in the poll.
There will be a prize, but i want this to just be a bit of fun and not greatly competitive, so the prize will be something symbollic and functionally useless. A trophy, of sorts. Something to put on your shelf and smile about. I'll stick a picture of it up as soon as i've decided what it is... lol.

At this stage i will be entering:
TTerbo's PHR with the massive heatsink
Lazeerer's 445 SacredFire
AnselmoFanZero's laser glove (i'm in contact with him by PM)

But i will be PMing the creators of all the lasers posted here to ask whether they'd like to enter their builds.

Thanks for your patience everyone. It was originally just going to be a sort of... gallery of all the awsome builds from 2010 but there seems to be enough interest for an actual competition.

DTR

You do realise that Cree C6 as a host does not have nearly enough heastinking capability to reliable house a 445nm laser at high currents people tend to put them on?

If we were talking half watt output, great- BUT I've seen people cram 1.8A into diode, which is also fine, if it were not for C6 host.

Unique host? Probably my GGW 6X, host made by Bill. Assembly details in my signature, if anybody wants to know.

Apsolute favourite would be Spyder III. Gawd I wish they'd sell empty hosts.

I will have to agree. If you are looking to go over 1W the black or stainless steel Cree is not the best option. Very small heatsinks. If you want to stick with a single 18650 host the best options are the Ehgemus hosts with the direct press heads. There are also some other great flashlight hosts like the MXDL, Solorforce, Guidesman's and a few others that provide much better heatsinking. :beer:

Indeed this is a great thread :)

My vote would have to go to Jayrob's Solarforce L2P gunmetal host. It's small enough to pack a lot of power yet large enough to heatsink that power. Plus it just looks badass! I'm less than 2 weeks away from my 2nd Solarforce build & I plan on setting it at 1.9A with dual flexdrives inspired by DTR's massive builds.

Last edited:
@DTR: Sorry if i'm a little behind here, I've done a little reading and i'm sort of confused. Do you make your own hosts? My current understanding is that Ehgemus makes the hosts and then you do the electronics. Is that right, or do you make hosts too?

@Jayrob: Are you entering the SolarForce or the Maglite? The battery indicator thing is probably cheating to enter seeing as it's being released in 2011 :). I seriously wish i had the money to order some of your stuff... i've been droolling over the pictures since i joined.

jayrob

It's hard to pick just one favorite. I have many favorites!

These two are just my current favorites... :D

DTR

@DTR: Sorry if i'm a little behind here, I've done a little reading and i'm sort of confused. Do you make your own hosts? My current understanding is that Ehgemus makes the hosts and then you do the electronics. Is that right, or do you make hosts too?

That is correct. The only one's mentioned in this thread that actually make hosts is Ehgemus and the guy that made the silver host.

The rest are flashlights that we have rewired, modified(may require machining depending on what is needed) and added heatsinks to.:)

@anselm: I'm no longer accepting companies. Wicked's hosts are awsome, but i'm not sure they'd care if they were awarded host of the year. And i'll wait for Ehgemus to express what his favourite host that he's built is so that I can enter that. Just to clarify, this is about the hosts themselves, not the creators. It's just one host per creator that's allowed to be entered.
Haha... i really like your build! :D That's being entered.

@DTR: Well, yeah. But i'm including flashlight mods. Or alternatively i could put flashlight mods in a different category. What do you guys think?

I think i'd have to vote for DTR's RL-2088 Frankenstein as number one..

Though second would have to be mine. :p

100_0509.JPG

100_0524.JPG

Last edited:
i'm at work, im doing 8 things at once. leave me alone. :p

fixed btw

Well I don't get to build to many full laser in different host because I am to busy building host for other people. If I had to pick one it would be the 2 26500 battery alien host.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/1-9w-ehgemus-2x26500-custom-host-w-3xgroove-2-drivers-58497.html

My next pick would be the glove host, it is just so cool.

I thank a good idea for the trophy would be a bunch of laser parts and hosts put together like a piece of art. This trophy can be passed on the the winner each year.