Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"First Look" at The 500mW Mitsubishi ML501P73 635nm/638nm diode is in.!

Lol, I was halfway joking because of the expense. It is a great material though!

Fiddy

regarding the 500mW diodes.

Here's a conversation i had with ebay seller techood
I said

"hey,

Do you know when you will have the Mitsubishi ML501P73 500mW diodes in?

Cheers!"

Techood said:

"Hello Sir,

Ok,noted well.
ML501P73 will arrive April .We will let you know.
Thanks
Robinson"

So April huh? hope this is legit...

DTR

I said

"hey,

Cheers!"

Techood said:

"Hello Sir,

Ok,noted well.
Thanks
Robinson"

Yea they keep saying it will be available within a month now for almost a year. I hope so but I would not count on it.:undecided:

I said

"hey,

Cheers!"

Techood said:

"Hello Sir,

Ok,noted well.
Thanks
Robinson"

i hope you didnt got that response on sunday:p

I really hope you guys are wrong. I mean I realize the increase in visibility going from ~650mW to 1W is not that great, but still, I want to see 1W of red sometime soon.

Last edited:
I really hope you guys are wrong. I mean I realize the increase in visibility going from ~650mW to 1W is not that great, but still, I want to see 1W of red sometime soon.

650 to 1 W? Seems a pretty sexy improvement to me. And definatly noticable brighter.
I hope to receive a 1W module of those diodes in 4 weeks max.

650 to 1 W? Seems a pretty sexy improvement to me. And definatly noticable brighter.
I hope to receive a 1W module of those diodes in 4 weeks max.

The perceived increase is brightness is not that great.... I'm sure there is a visible difference, the question is how much of one. If 638nm follows what I've seen already... it's not that much.

Last edited:
Well i was given word that they are going to come to market but not at 110$ more around 200 to 230$
So even when they hit there price point is not that great.
Its hard to beat the price of the current 300mw diodes.
Looking at some 1W 635nm c mount diodes to play with.
Who knows maybe they wont be that bad.
Not for pointers but for a projector it should be fine.

rhd

The perceived increase is brightness is not that great.... I'm sure there is a visible difference, the question is how much of one. If 638nm follows what I've seen already... it's not that much.

Actually, I think the 1 to 1.1W of output I saw from my Mits 500 prior to selling it really was quite an improvement over the ~500 or 600 we see from Mits 300 diodes.

My take, is that we're sort of straddling the line between really visible red, and not-so-visible red. Remember that ~300mW of 660 wasn't terribly visible in typical environments. The Mits 300s, at ~642nm (in practice) were quite an improvement. But they still aren't "drop dead bright red beams". They're visible for sure, no more straining to pretend you see the beam of a 660. But they're not exactly a beam of red fire cutting through the atmoshphere.

The Mits 500, at ~1.1W of output, just pushed further enough into the visibility realm, that I think it really DOES make a marked improvement. If you look two 445 beams, at 1W and 2W, its a stretch to say that the experience of the 2W beam is much different. But if you look at two Mits 638 beams, one at 500mW and one a 1W+, it really IS a different experience.

Well i was given word that they are going to come to market but not at 110$ more around 200 to 230$

I don't think that will be the case. I'm pretty certain that these will be coming in at somewhere around the $135 price point.

Cheers

I don't think that will be the case. I'm pretty certain that these will be coming in at somewhere around the $135 price point.

Cheers

I certainly hope you're right, so I can see the difference for myself:)

For Sure its Un true. Who ever said that is probably the only one thats going to try to sell them at that price.

I probably mentioned this a few times and This Came Out of a Suppliers Mouth that they are using them in there own lasers first and there Not going to be for sale Yet as diodes Until there stock of 300mW drop down.

The first one is starting to happen the second part is still in question when.

This Next month crap they keep telling people is just to get you off there back.

This statement came from the same people everyone keeps asking when when when.

Trust me when i say this you will know when they will be available.

They might though sell a few here and there.:) You might get lucky so never give up.
But a few is Just not good enough though.

We hope to see them soon but :undecided:...

Last edited:
Its hard to beat the price of the current 300mw diodes.
Looking at some 1W 635nm c mount diodes to play with.
Who knows maybe they wont be that bad.
Not for pointers but for a projector it should be fine.

Are C mounts that unusable in a large host? What makes them so bad besides lack of easy mounting options? Are the beam characteristics worse? (Hard to be worse than a multimode 635!)

They can be, you just have to find the right ones.
Some have much worse emitters like 100 to 1 vs i think the current 40 to 1.
So yea i get 1W but its much worse than the current diodes.
Plus the price is around 70$ for the one im looking at.