Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR G8 lens

The acrylic lenses work to a degree, but I did have the artifact, faintly, with my 502nm laser using one. I was able to removing it using one of DTR's G8 lenses. But, I can't say if this lens will work for all of the Sharp diodes. Trial and error are still your best bets.

LaserRanger

@Lifetime17 yeah that's what I currently have on it and the artifact is noticeable on acrylic and even more so on glass lenses.
@steve001 you're spot on as I also noticed that the diodes that have reflection lines on the raw output have the box artifact and the reflection directly correlates to the box artifact in brightness. I observed many sharp 488nm diodes that had those "edge lines" and the amount of reflection made the box artifact more or less noticeable depending on the intensity of the lines in the raw output
@paul1598419 I'm starting to see the pattern I mentioned above. On the raw output of the diode I see bright lines as if the lense was scratch around the edge of the glass but it is a reflection caused by rim of the cap like steeve001 said or it could be the base where the laser light is generated. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct words to describe.

Last edited:

DTR

Strange it was the sharp 488's that I had when I first tested the DTR-G-8. Will go back to one and see if I am getting the ghost box with it. I Made a little setup for testing out of 75 feet with each lens measuring the fully collimated spots length/shape/size I want to do with all the diodes in my testings threads and listings as a kind of standard template with some other common info. Think it came out pretty good but work in progress for sure.🍺

Hey DTR,i don't know why with same prices, G8 is more outstanding thân G8 so much,72 and 90% pass lighting is big difference,G3 is good for low power singermode??
Final,i very happy to see G8,is is best for choosing with me now
Thank for updates

LaserRanger

@DTR Don't get me wrong buddy, this is an amazing lense. I am currently using it on my 405nm bdr-209 running on about 600mA on a single 10440 lithium and I gotta say it's doing a wonderful job. Best I've used so far with that diode. As for the 488nm sharp diode, it might be a special case since the output does show weird patterns to begin with so it might just be the diode that's making it hard to collimate. I'll post some pictures of the output when I get a chance

Just ordered 5 each G8 lenses for $75.00. Great deal. If you had a button for ten at an even better price each, I'd buy them, but five is the max bundle you offer.

Just ordered 5 each G8 lenses for $75.00. Great deal. If you had a button for ten at an even better price each, I'd buy them, but five is the max bundle you offer.

Yes....This lens will correct the NDG7475....with NO additional corrective needed.....I am working on an EDC with this set-up...." Synesthesia "

Also planned....a single cell 26650 EDC with a NUBM044 + C-Lenses with the G8 Colli.
An EDC....SMALL as I can make it....so.....an EDC burner.....arriving end of Summer 2019.

The G8....is " Dynamite....with a Laser Beam " hahaha !! With out this Colli….neither build would be possible

Blue NUMB044 EDC name ???? Maybe the "Indigo Interocitor" ???

CDBEAM

Last edited:

LaserRanger

I am having a really hard time uploading the pictures. I have tried cropping them, taking them in low resolution but yet they are still too big to upload

Load them to imgur and use the large thumbnail size. That is what I always do.

I am having a really hard time uploading the pictures. I have tried cropping them, taking them in low resolution but yet they are still too big to upload
If you're using a pc you should be able to resize them. If you're using Windows 10 you can resize them manually. I had to once and I think I used the Windows Photo Editor program.

Yes....This lens will correct the NDG7475....with NO additional corrective needed.....

Well, not so fast buddy, the fast and slow axis will still be unmatched without correction, just that the beam doesn't spread as horribly in one axis due to the longer focal length and resulting lower divergence, but one side will still have far worse divergence than the other, you just don't notice it due to taking so much more distance to spread that much now, correct?

Last edited:
HMMMM....I looked at the Farfield Geometry (NDG7475 + G8) @ 11M....Looks very good as in I do not see a bar ….Looks fairly good at 31M....I see a slight difference between X axis and Y axis at this distance. I have no doubt....at 100M....a greater bar-like geometry would present !!!

And yes....a set of Cylindrical Lenses will lessen the difference between X and Y axis......delivering much less astigmatism. I suppose it ALL depends on how far away is the termination target !!!

In my opinion........the NDG7475 combined with the G8 geometry....at the farfield up to 31M.......is acceptable....on a practical basis....that is just my
opinion.....and as you ALL know.....I am never short of opinion's !!!

Please understand...I am a HUGE fan of Cylindrical lenses... If one wants a compact EDC unit.....Well...C=lenses add build length....just NO way around that !!!
All engineered solutions have trade offs....especially Optical solutions....Power loss, size, cost.....but....for a compact EDC....when factoring in Parallel view .....when demanding a small format.....well...." Close enough for Jazz".sez I.....No C-lenses are needed !!! IMNSHO ....

Now...the NUBM044....THAT is a different story !!! IT demands the G8 plus C-lenses to hammer that beam into something I can live with !!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
I would agree, with that reduction of divergence, for the NDG7475 it’s not a need to correct, great info you provided, just having a good time splitting a hair on that.

:)

Crazy. These sharp 488's do seem immune from the DTR-G-8's Juju magic.

Damn that's a shame, I tried G7, G2 and 3 element.. they all have an artifact and even the G8 can't fix it.

Ah well, at least it's still a beautiful color and the main beam has low divergence 🤷‍♂️