Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Distant early warning... 445nm to be banned soon?

Things

They also had one mentally ill nut with an assault rifle and essentially banned guns. Their government also censors certain web pages and is trying to get access to information about individuals search queries. Not somewhere you want to live if you value freedom these days.

I'm kinda grateful guns are banned, they really don't have any use unless you live on a farm or something, or do it as a hobby.

However, nothing is censored (yet), and there will always be loopholes. Besides, what is there for them to censor?

I'm kinda grateful guns are banned, they really don't have any use unless you live on a farm or something, or do it as a hobby.

Except the country with hundreds of times lower rate of crimes with guns is a country where every male over 20 years old has a fully automatic assault rifle kept in his home, and a side-arm pistol, and they are all trained how to proficiantly kill with it (Switzerland). They have 6-times higher murder-rate from kitchen knives than bullets, and extremely low rate of home burglery and blue-collar thieft.

But now I'm getting way off-topic, but the thread was built on nothing to begin with, so I supose it's not a concern...

Long live new advanced laser diode technology trickleing into all sorts of new devices and applications!

No. This is not how it works my friend.

Casio has made a perfectly safe projector when used as a projector. It takes a high level of specialized skills and intent to take a component of this projector and make it into a tool to do malicious things with.

If someone wants to do malicious things, the diodes in this projector wouldn't even be on a list of concerns.

You can do a hell of a lot more dangerous things with zero specialized skills and a lot less money/resources/effort.

Take a childrens super-soaker squirt gun. Fill it with gasoline, and tape a lit candle in the path of the exiting stream. Now you have a 50ft range continous flame thrower. Take a $25 BB-gun from K-mart, aim it at an eye and shoot, instantly destroyed eye from 100+ft away. These are much cheaper, much more accessable, much more dangerous options consumers are able to re-purpose and use as malicious things, but of course you don't see lawsuits against squirt guns being re-purposed...

If a product is safely able to do it's intended purpose when it's sold, the legal risk is over. It's not like you can sue a shotgun shell manufacture because little Jimmy buys a box and cuts them all open for the powder, makes a bomb and blinds or cripples himself. That simply isn't how the world works (thank God.)

Casio can and will publicly posture in whatever position the company publicity department advises them is the best posture to take, likely pretending to be concerned and/or condescending towards people re-purposeing the diodes.
The reality is, they struck the biggest marketing jack-pot in the history of projectors, and are likely at work frantically trying to come up with a more powerful diode for the next model of projector (maybe all ready have?) for a chance to once again get a level of dirt-cheap marketing that no company ad campaign could ever match.

I agree with this as well.

Manufacturers cannot be held accountable for any damage that may occur from misuse of dismantled/disassembled parts of their products. They've got that covered in the fine print in the documents that accompany said products. Nor do I think that this will deter them from using laser technology in their future products.

The idea for hobbyists to take apart something for parts is not new. Will GE stop making microwaves with high voltage transformers because people are making Tesla Coils out of them?

Besides what's the difference between these diodes and those found in Blu-Ray Burners. They both are more than powerful enough to blind someone, yet Sony hasn't seen any legal action because of it. So why should Casio?

-Tony

Except the country with hundreds of times lower rate of crimes with guns is a country where every male over 20 years old has a fully automatic assault rifle kept in his home, and a side-arm pistol, and they are all trained how to proficiantly kill with it (Switzerland). They have 6-times higher murder-rate from kitchen knives than bullets, and extremely low rate of home burglery and blue-collar thieft.

It also helps that all the Swiss have a mandatory stint in the armed forces. Education would free us all, but most countries like to keep their people stupid, and in fear.

It also helps that all the Swiss have a mandatory stint in the armed forces. Education would free us all, but most countries like to keep their people stupid, and in fear.

exactly. if a country's citizens are ignorant and afraid they are much more easily controlled. Hence why just about every country in the world with an established government is becoming less and less free by the day.

I'm not sure if this has already been said, but I think that most inexperienced people will buy the Arctic from WickedLasers. Only those who have enough skill and knowledge will be able to make the DIY higher power 445nm lasers. I think that banning just the Arctic from this forum and the Atlantis if Nova ever brings it back would solve the majority of the problems. Deleting the whole 445nm board doesn't make much sense since it also serves to educate people of the dangers. Just my $0.02

As Olivia said, they just dumped the board in case there might be some legal ramifications. If there was, we would of took the brunt of it, not PL. They obviously had a meeting with a lawyer, and realized there is nothing much the government can do, and re-posted the threads.

While i don't care to post PMs since I believe that PMs should remain private, I have a few from some folks whose declared intentions were to inform everyone in the industry that they could that people were using these diodes for hobby usage in the interest (no doubt futile attempts) of trying to make these diodes disappear or have the design changed so that hobbyists cannot access or use them. Also, I have PMs stating unequivocally that there was a real legal threat presented by the corporation who makes these projectors.. not an implied threat, a real threat.

the Atlantis was just cancelled by Nova today after "consulting with laser users and experts in the field"... It really smacks of exactly what you're talking about, ElectroFreak.

the Atlantis was just cancelled by Nova today after "consulting with laser users and experts in the field"... It really smacks of exactly what you're talking about, ElectroFreak.

Where did you here that? I can't find anything on their site saying it was canceled.

Xer0

I hope Wicked will cancel their Killerlaser too.

dont have anything against them, but i have against that such dangerous "toys" are sold to everyone. already see them coming to Q-Base and Clubs, lasing around, and blinding other ravers. and i dont want to get blind just because i go to a Rave...

some folks whose declared intentions were to inform everyone in the industry that they could that people were using these diodes for hobby usage in the interest (no doubt futile attempts) of trying to make these diodes disappear or have the design changed so that hobbyists cannot access or use them.

Looks like some of the hype is already working.