Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Dealextreme 50mW red is actually a 635nm red laser !!

:paypal: I put my shipping info in the massages section of the paypal page. $12 is a good price for a decent red pen and if it's a 635 that's even better. Thanks again for organizing the GB for those of us in the States!

Mister DJNY, are you sure it is responsible to label the GB as 635nm? There has been one experiment that suggests that one of these is not 660nm.

Mister DJNY, are you sure it is responsible to label the GB as 635nm? There has been one experiment that suggests that one of these is not 660nm.

Hey everyone reading this thread can see that it isn´t 100% sure that it is a 635nm laser. It´s a gamble. But I´ll update it ;)

I think the thing is you put a link in your sig.. and there's nothing in the post you linked that says these might just be 660nm. So the problem would come from people following the link, and not reading any of the thread.

DJNY, just letting you know, I am interested in this GB but I won't be able to take part in it. Good luck to those of you who are ordering.

I think the thing is you put a link in your sig.. and there's nothing in the post you linked that says these might just be 660nm. So the problem would come from people following the link, and not reading any of the thread.

I noticed the problem. I changed the link in my signature yesterday, but didn´t read the "Your signature cannot be longer than 2048 characters including BB code markup." I just saw.

DJNY, just letting you know, I am interested in this GB but I won't be able to take part in it. Good luck to those of you who are ordering.

I´ll order two for me and you can get one later if you want.

X People, cross your fingers X

Last edited:
Well that is telling, it is easy to see the difference. Cherry or deep cherry is not in the 635nm range. They are probably using whatever they have available and just happened to use some 635nm diodes. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, no problem. I know what it's like to wait for something coming by mail and be disappointed. A lot of people here seem willing to throw their money away on a blind lottery. I suppose it's a decent choice for someone who doesn't have a red pen and would still be happy with a 660nm.

Although I don't have a 635nm pointer, personally I don't really see the appeal of them. I love the deep cherry 660nm light the dot casts on nearby surfaces. It's a nice pure colour and 620-650nm vermilion would cheapen that for the sake of an intensity boost. However, I suppose it could just be nice to have 2 species of red or just as a novelty.

Some more info about the one I got if anyone's interested: It's rated at 50mW, ~5mm diameter beam and with the aid of a magnifying lens, burns tiny spots in black leather & cuts strips of black garbage bag if pulled. It won't light matches even if marked black.

Throw money away? If $12+shipping is too much for you, then lasers probably aren't the best hobby for you.

Besides. One can never have too many lasers. Of any wavelength. :D

Though personally I could care less about 'burning power' myself. It's fun for all of 15 seconds. I'm just in it for the pretty lights.

Hey if all these turn out to be 635nm do you think we could do another group buy in the near future?

As for me I am Okay with this buy whether I receive 635nm or 650mn. I have other 635s but the output is what I am most interested in here.
Phi did you get my address in my payment?
Thanks,

Couldnt you send a laser out to a trusted member with the proper equipment to determine the wavelength? Im sure you could find a few people to chip in. Worst case scenario you spend a few bucks on a 650nm and shipping instead of wasting a whole group buy.

Hey if all these turn out to be 635nm do you think we could do another group buy in the near future?

Couldnt you send a laser out to a trusted member with the proper equipment to determine the wavelength? Im sure you could find a few people to chip in. Worst case scenario you spend a few bucks on a 650nm and shipping instead of wasting a whole group buy.

The problem with this is that if this is a 635, then most likely it was due to someone surplusing a bunch of 635nm diodes, this manufacturer buying them because they were the cheapest at the time, and building pens with them. It is unlikely that more than one production batch is 635nm... so the longer this is drawn out, the more likely they'll all end up 650nm.

The fact that the focalprice listing lists them as 635-670 pretty much shows that whoever makes these goes with the cheapest diode of the day.. or else there wouldn't be variation.

interesting. I would think that the 635nm would always be atleast a bit more expensive.

Just depends. If some manufacturer has a lot of stock and decides not to use them or not to make the product they were going in to, they can show up cheap on the surplus market.. My guess is that if some of these are indeed 635nm.. most likely they're from the same source of diodes that that ebay seller that was selling 40mw 635nm diodes cheap a little while back got them from. Large quantities of 635nm's on the market isn't really common, and the timing is too close I think for it to be a coincidence.

Back