Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coherent Laser Diode Bar 30W-40W 808nm

If you want something of this power I would recommend using a "Fiber Array Package" aka FAP. These lasers usually have a round output. You could easily correct the raw fiber output with a single lens and that would give you a useable lens.

Heres my unit which is similar to most 40W FAP units you will see for sale as surplus.
IMG_20121016_202713.jpg

IMG_20121016_191415.jpg

Now realisticly with either option you are going to face multiple very difficult hurdles. I'm going to agree with you that either diode "could" be engineered to be portable. However you are going to spend hundreds of hours, hundreds of dollars, if not thousands to overcome these hurdles. Assuming you have lots of time and money or some sort of engineering background, you could pull it off. It will be far from a pointer though.

The hurdles im talking about are, a high discharge high capacity power source, a VERY stable and efficient driver otherwise you will need a very massive heatsink and or active cooling, active cooling or a very masive heatsink to cool the diode.. possibly both, a sutiable mount for everything so possibly you would need a machine shop or access to one.

So you see, its not something you will be able to thrpw to gether and "make it work". Its going to be be something you will put ALOT of time, effort amd money into and most likely come out with something that needs to be carried on your back or put wheels.

To be short, its possible but "very" unlikely. If you have intentions on tackleing this project you will need all thr luck and experience you can get and to be honest. Im not sure what the point would be.

Jeff

LaWS

Now this is what I wanted to hear :)
Everyone can say "This is impossible, This is pure fantasy or fiction etc", but the "Black Beam" or so is exactly the dream, fantasy, fiction....
Here we have manufactured Didode and we need ideas how to make it portable (doesn't mean to be the size of laser pointer with 2x AAA batteries)...
Something you can carry to cut something like PVC pipes etc, but of course this forum is only for low powered lasers :)
Alright maybe opening such a discussion was a big mistake...
Thanks anyway.

We don't need to be reallistic...

In that case you just use your cardinal grammeter to provide inverse reactive current to your unilateral phase detractor while manifesting the magneto-reluctance from the lunar prism arm. Then when the capacitive duractance exceeds the PH-charge of the prefamulated ammulite, the panametric fam will have enough photonic injection into the resonant logarithmic hydroxide bearing to overcome the limitations set forth by the hydrocoptic marzul vanes. Piece of cake.

Things

In that case you just use your cardinal grammeter to provide inverse reactive current to your unilateral phase detractor while manifesting the magneto-reluctance from the lunar prism arm. Then when the capacitive duractance exceeds the PH-charge of the prefamulated ammulite, the panametric fam will have enough photonic injection into the resonant logarithmic hydroxide bearing to overcome the limitations set forth by the hydrocoptic marzul vanes. Piece of cake.

true-story.jpg

Fiddy

Fuck-Yeah-meme.jpg

i would see this more as being the pump for a crazy 532 labby build. there is a guy on youtube that made one...link

so its possible to make one of these bar arrays into a visible laser, but handheld? Short literally putting it in a log, good luck. also keep in mind the current draw like the other people have said. Like those 100W arrays you linked to (which i have seen for cheaper, by the way, if you care) will just about need all the current you can get from your mains...at only a couple volts.

i would see this more as being the pump for a crazy 532 labby build. there is a guy on youtube that made one...link

so its possible to make one of these bar arrays into a visible laser, but handheld? Short literally putting it in a log, good luck. also keep in mind the current draw like the other people have said. Like those 100W arrays you linked to (which i have seen for cheaper, by the way, if you care) will just about need all the current you can get from your mains...at only a couple volts.

That's a Funny mains You have :p , the 60 W diode would pull under 300 Watts ( Guess value :p ) that's a few ish amps at 120 V mains supply to the AC to DC converter .

The 100W diode the other person listed was a QCW diode not a CW diode , The QCW diode needs a special pulsed driver .

The Fibber packaged diode shown use this type of diode most likely ( CCP diode ) with a fibre in front of each emitter ( 19 emitters I believe for most of the 808nm CCP diodes )

The CCP diode is usually fibre corrected for DPSS usage or is used to directly side pump a YAG crystal .

So Long story short , Yes it could be made portable , But no It wouldn't be practical :D

Last edited:

I have some muffler bearings and a connuter valve sitting on my retro encabulator if there are any buyers. . . :confused:

That's a Funny mains You have :p , the 60 W diode would pull under 300 Watts ( Guess value :p ) that's a few ish amps at 120 V mains supply to the AC to DC converter .

The 100W diode the other person listed was a QCW diode not a CW diode , The QCW diode needs a special pulsed driver .

The Fibber packaged diode shown use this type of diode most likely ( CCP diode ) with a fibre in front of each emitter ( 19 emitters I believe for most of the 808nm CCP diodes )

The CCP diode is usually fibre corrected for DPSS usage or is used to directly side pump a YAG crystal .

So Long story short , Yes it could be made portable , But no It wouldn't be practical :D

the 100W array i found says it pulls 110 amps, didnt see it was QCW though....My bad

110A at a low voltage (say 2V for the sake of argument). That's 220W. To get the same power on 110V mains you'd only need 2A (and a perfectly efficient PSU).

SKeeZ

Those diode bars output light more like a flashlight than a laser.
He is right, there is no way of collminating these unless you somehow merge the beams then collminate them. i have no idea if such a lens exists.