Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coherent Laser Diode Bar 30W-40W 808nm

LaWS

Hello guys,
I was wonder if such a laser diode (Coherent Laser Diode Bar 30W-40W 808nm 40A-45A DPSS Array) could be used in making handheld laser?
When I saw it for sale, then the idea came to my mind hehe...

90535-002.jpg

Things

If by handheld you mean a backpack, possibly, but what would be the use? Those diode bars output light more like a flashlight than a laser.

Last edited:

honeyx

I was wonder if such a laser diode (Coherent Laser Diode Bar 30W-40W 808nm 40A-45A DPSS Array) could be used in making handheld laser?

Probably with a SLA battery from a car :) But you must be really strong to hold such a handheld in your hand ;)

AUS

These are designed to laser excite Ruby, YAG and other crystalline laser rods, they are usually a heap of laser diode elements in a row. The focus them using a long half round rod. You would get a badly focused line, not a dot. They are usually water cooled - you would need a very elaborate cooling system.

Plus you'll need 40 amps of well regulated current at 3-4 volts. That's a lot of current to carry around. And you would also have to cool the current regulators.

Remember that 808nm is infra red so you would only just be able to see it. All in all not very practical.

LaWS

These are designed to laser excite Ruby, YAG and other crystalline laser rods, they are usually a heap of laser diode elements in a row. The focus them using a long half round rod. You would get a badly focused line, not a dot. They are usually water cooled - you would need a very elaborate cooling system.

Plus you'll need 40 amps of well regulated current at 3-4 volts. That's a lot of current to carry around. And you would also have to cool the current regulators.

Remember that 808nm is infra red so you would only just be able to see it. All in all not very practical.

I imagine something like the laser in your Avatar :) ahahhaah....

Last edited:

honeyx

I imagine something like the laser in your Avatar :) ahahhaah....

Dude. This is a Argon Laser and needs a lot of Amps too. However for this 40W diode you not only will need a battery that can output 40-50A for a period of time but also a cooling system that can take 80 Watt and up.

A simple CPU heatsink and a small SLA battery will be not enough, so keep realistic. Your setup wold be huge and weight about 30-50Kg. This is far away from being a handheld.

Last edited:

LaWS

Well let's be reallistic then...
Let's go back a few centuries and imagine a conversation like this:
William: Hey George I think we can run electricity through this wire.
George: Dude be realistic, the electricity can exist only in the clouds...

I have a 60W water cooled diode bar setup that uses a raw diode like the one mentioned by the OP

I powered it using a variac, a rewound microwave oven transformer with about 10 turns of 14 gauge solid core house wire for the transformer secondary. The AC was rectified by three 25A bridge rectifiers and smoothed by ten 16,000uF capacitors. Running that thing near full current caused the 14 gauge solid core copper wire to get pretty warm.

Tell you what though, that thing will set fire to just about anything that absorbs 808nm (which isn't as much as you'd think sadly)

honeyx

Well let's be reallistic then...
Let's go back a few centuries and imagine a conversation like this:
William: Hey George I think we can run electricity through this wire.
George: Dude be realistic, the electricity can exist only in the clouds...

You are a really wise guy :) So lets wait a few more centuries till you come with a compact battery and a decent cooling system within a handheld. If you can do this now, I will really cherish your flashlight-like handheld with this diode buld in. The better if you can turn this into a real lightsabber. I bet all the other members will threat you like the lightsabber god here.

I have a 60W water cooled diode bar setup that uses a raw diode like the one mentioned by the OP

I powered it using a variac, a rewound microwave oven transformer with about 10 turns of 14 gauge solid core house wire for the transformer secondary. The AC was rectified by three 25A bridge rectifiers and smoothed by ten 16,000uF capacitors. Running that thing near full current caused the 14 gauge solid core copper wire to get pretty warm.

Tell you what though, that thing will set fire to just about anything that absorbs 808nm (which isn't as much as you'd think sadly)

Did you manage to focus it?

LaWS

You are a really wise guy :) So lets wait a few more centuries till you come with a compact battery and a decent cooling system within a handheld. If you can do this now, I will really cherish your flashlight-like handheld with this diode buld in. The better if you can turn this into a real lightsabber. I bet all the other members will threat you like the lightsabber god here.

Please read this thread before making further posts...
But I'll help you, so overall I made this thread to ask if somone has idea how to construct such a laser and is it possible at all...
We don't need to be reallistic I tried to explain what do I mean with my last post, but you don't get it right?
I'm not the wise guy and that's why I made this thread here to gather some brains in one place... And if you read your post one more time or more you might realise, that you are not helpful...
So overall: I did not said, that I am wise guy, I can't stay alive for centuries lol? And again we are trying to make technology better with every single day not by being realistic, but experimentalists...

Last edited:
As others have said focusing it results in a line. The line will burn stuff, but it's nowhere near a round dot and usable distance is less than 1 foot.

Did you ever try using an anamorphic prism pair?

Was this pulsed? Or CW?

honeyx

Please read this thread before making further posts...
But I'll help you, so overall I made this thread to ask if somone has idea how to construct such a laser and is it possible at all...
We don't need to be reallistic I tried to explain what do I mean with my last post, but you don't get it right?
I'm not the wise guy and that's why I made this thread here to gather some brains in one place... And if you read your post one more time or more you might realise, that you are not helpful...
So overall: I did not said, that I am wise guy, I can't stay alive for centuries lol? And again we are trying to make technology better with every single day not by being realistic, but experimentalists...

I´m getting your point, but you are not getting mine nor the one from all the others telling you it will not become a handheld due to the technology we are currently having. And this is the difference between you and me.

You neither will get a decent beam nor get such a diode cooled with just a host as big as a flashlight. Not even to speak about the battery. Maybe one day there will be the technology to get a real lightsabber into one handheld host, but this is pure fiction as for now.

You expect a positive answer to declare it as being helpful but that´s the difference about dreaming and reality. It´s like asking for a black laser beam which absorbs any kind of light where it´s passing through. ( there was already such a discussion) We all can imagine such a beam but it´s not realistic to build one.

So really I don´t care if you find my comments helpful or not. Just if you think you must become ironic and obviously are thinking you are more clever, simply prove me and the others to be wrong by building one.

Did you ever try using an anamorphic prism pair?

Was this pulsed? Or CW?

CW.

You can probably squish the output to a shorter line with a good quality cylinder lens, but they're not easy to find in that size