Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CLOSED - COLLECTING $ Dorcy Jnr GB - $15.00 Shipped- 07/12/09

IMHO I have no idea what dorcy's engineers were smoking... those hosts look horrible. My idea was that, if we can drill out the front lip we will have a straight taped barrel right? well we could make a new HS to fit that and hold the HS in place with set screws from the outside of the host. I was looking at Jayrobs v1 heatsink for the MXDL host and thought that a lip at the end (laser side) that is the same OD as the host would look good. I would imagine that one set screw would be enough, but if needed more can be added. We can also counter sink it to make it look better.

If that's not able to be done for all the hosts, that is probably going to be the plan with mine.

any other suggestions? -Adrian

daguin

IMHO I have no idea what dorcy's engineers were smoking... those hosts look horrible. My idea was that, if we can drill out the front lip we will have a straight taped barrel right? well we could make a new HS to fit that and hold the HS in place with set screws from the outside of the host. I was looking at Jayrobs v1 heatsink for the MXDL host and thought that a lip at the end (laser side) that is the same OD as the host would look good. I would imagine that one set screw would be enough, but if needed more can be added. We can also counter sink it to make it look better.
If that's not able to be done for all the hosts, that is probably going to be the plan with mine.
any other suggestions? -Adrian

The design is more simple with fewer parts. It is a good idea for them as a flashlight.

The set screw from outside would work. The interior of the head would better be described as "stepped." The step to a smller diameter (~1/2 inch from the rear) is what the original emitter stopped against.

Peace,
dave

ohh I see... still possible to do, instead of he heat sink being tapered it would be stepped. Also is it possible at all to use the existing PCB or is there no where near enough room for it to all fit?

daguin

ohh I see... still possible to do, instead of he heat sink being tapered it would be stepped. Also is it possible at all to use the existing PCB or is there no where near enough room for it to all fit?

The heat sink would not need the step. When the body is screwed into the head, the body is flush with (and can actually go past) the step in the head. The space left after screwing in the body is +-23mm deep with straight sides (except for the small "lip" at the front). The heat sink will be a very simple design. It will be a bar with a hole in it ;)

The question left in my mind right now is if we can adapt the heat sinks we bought from Dark Horse or not. We should wait until he get on here or I get the heat sinks before thinking about a different design.

Peace,
dave

The Slivers are smaller in diameter than the DJR heatsink, by .100". The heatsinks on thier way to Dave are .795" OD, they should have been there by now, must be the holiday post slow-down.

BTW, the name is a reference to thier size and not color. It seams if someone reads it as "Silver" the first-time, they never notice that it is actually Sliver, paradolia in practice. I only recently noticed that Lasersbee's user-name had a S in the middle that I was missing everytime I read it.

I don't think that they are the same anyway. Here is what the Silver heat sink page says:

Based on the hugely successful "Full-Body" design used in the Dorcies, these unique new heatsinks are down-sized for a Cree C3 (a solid stainless-steel 1xAA-sized host) This new design fits in a smaller host (21mmx 94mm).

The verbiage implies that the heat sink for the silver host has a smaller diameter than the Dorcy

Yes. The heat sinks are coming here to be added to the packages going out to those that bought them.

Peace,
dave

I am still reading up on the posts, I miss one evening and then all this, major-bummer. I can't see why Dorcy would change the design right before discontinuing them. Maybe these are the new-version? I have never seen these hosts.

When we come up with a solution, I am willing to make everyone new heatsinks for these new hosts, in exchange for the ones you bought.

Last edited:

Quisp

I sent off an email to Dorcy yesterday asking about possible changes to model #41-4262, and here was the reply:

Mark,

The 41-4262 has never changed design style that I am aware of. The stock we currently have is exactly as pictured on the site.

Dorcy LED Flashlight 45 Lumens Luxeon LED Solid State Diode 41-4262

If you choose to order online here is a coupon for you .

Coupon code: holiday20 20% off , free shipping, free LED flashlight. Miniumum order $20

Enter coupon on cart page and can be used multiple times.

Dorcy Direct LED Flashlights, Lanterns and Batteries

Thank you

Mark Craddock

IT Director / Online Sales

Dorcy International

Just an FYI...:)

The Slivers are smaller in diameter than the DJR heatsink, by .100". The heatsinks on thier way to Dave are .795" OD, they should have been there by now, must be the holiday post slow-down.

I am still reading up on the posts, I miss one evening and then all this, major-bummer. I can't see why Dorcy would change the design right before discontinuing them. Maybe these are the new-version? I have never seen these hosts.

When we come up with a solution, I am willing to make everyone new heatsinks for these new hosts, in exchange for the ones you bought.

Thats extremely kind of you. and the quote under me lets you know that the dorcy director had no knowledge of the dorcies being altered. He must have known something because even the package the dorcy came in was a different size. How could you not know that so many different details were changed.

I sent off an email to Dorcy yesterday asking about possible changes to model #41-4262, and here was the reply:

Mark,

The 41-4262 has never changed design style that I am aware of. The stock we currently have is exactly as pictured on the site.

Dorcy LED Flashlight 45 Lumens Luxeon LED Solid State Diode 41-4262

If you choose to order online here is a coupon for you .

Coupon code: holiday20 20% off , free shipping, free LED flashlight. Miniumum order $20

Enter coupon on cart page and can be used multiple times.

Dorcy Direct LED Flashlights, Lanterns and Batteries

Thank you

Mark Craddock

IT Director / Online Sales

Dorcy International

Just an FYI...:)

this is really interesting.
thanks for posting

Thanks dark-horse, Thats very COOL!
That is a perfect example of why I love LPF, and all it's members.

If worse comes to worse, and they need to be sent back
I will pay for shipping both ways, back and forth for the whole batch.
You, and or dave, can just PM me.

daguin

This will be a problem then. The front part of the head is .950 ID .795 will fit into the rear, but there will be nothing for it to "stop" against.

The mail has come and gone today. No package yet :(

@ Barry -- PM me your address. I'll get yours mailed out to you so you can look at what we are dealing with

Peace,
dave