Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Casio XJ-A130 DLP Projector $689.98 SHIPPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benm

I don't think there is any end to how dangerous these things will become. If you look at the evolution of power vs price in the last couple of years, its clearly going one way: more mW for the buck.

With these 445 nm high power diodes on the market, it won't be very long until we see affordable diodes of similar power for red and probably green, since the consumer application (projector) is now viable.

Obviously laser pointer manufacturers will use these diodes as well, and create very dangrous yet affordable-to-anyone lasers (the DX dilda is a good example of that).

Pontiac --

When the first 100 mW red diodes became available, a few of us bought them for $100+ . We tested, killed and reported on them so others could safely follow. That was over two years ago. 100 mW red diodes are now HOHUM.

I encourage you to get in now and help lead the way into this new technology.

It's always lead or follow (or worse- buy) on here. Appliance opperators are such a waste.

HMike
100mw red? lol barely visible at all.

HIMNL9

You should have been here for all the excitement and partying that was done when we got 15mW of violet :drool:

Peace,
dave

Yeah ..... and now, with the 455nm high power ones that start to become available, you may probably find peoples that ask "ONLY 600mW ..... can't we push it to at least 1W?" ..... :p :wtf:

:crackup:

Just a thought.... Not anybody is going to buy the $700+ projector. But most can the diode. So I mildy recommend to those that are doing the group buys not to sell to inexperieced memebers.

michael

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Just a thought.... Not anybody is going to buy the $700+ projector. But most can the diode. So I mildy recommend to those that are doing the group buys not to sell to inexperieced memebers.

michael

Yes, but how we can see who really is "inexperienced", not knowing in person the peoples involved ? (ok, some can be seen from their posts and arguments and suggestions, but not all).

I mean, i agree to not sell high power lasers to kids or peoples that don't know how to use them ..... lasers are not toys, and i have always in mind safety as first thing ..... but how we can decide without do "discrimination" ?

I'm also conflicted about these diodes. As much as I like the idea of abundant and powerful blue lasers being available very cheaply, it does introduce a safety hazard. On one side of the coin it makes me think that the sales should be restricted, but on the flip side I think that we already sell LOTS of class IV blu-rays to anyone with the $$ for them. How do we determine who is "experienced"? Why should anyone be able to buy a class IV blu-ray, but only certain people buy these diodes?

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I would never sell a class 4 handheld laser to anyone with no safety goggles. Obviously its different with diodes alone, because the buyer might need some knowledge to build the diodes, but I bet 1/2 the diodes end up with someone else like Flaminpyro building them for the users.

As mike says, most "appliance operators" will not have the same understanding of the risk, whereas if you build yourself, you are going to know about it.

Rob

In this case my vote is for a reactive rather than proactive response to this issue. In other words, if and when a real problem presents itself, we deal with it then. Until then, we're just speculating.

Lol thats what BP thought. Its probably the best solution atm though

Rob

In this case my vote is for a reactive rather than proactive response to this issue. In other words, if and when a real problem presents itself, we deal with it then. Until then, we're just speculating.

agreed!

and this issue is brought up now because of the inexpensiveness of the new diodes. but my earlier post is a blanket statement covering all diodes that can reach class 4 status.

michael

Lumify

Maybe it's just my libertarianism speaking here, but I think it's wrong to exclude someone from buying something based on experience. Idiots will be idiots no matter what. Giving idiots more weapons thins out the idiot population. We can tell idiots not to drink and drive, but that doesn't mean they will refrain. When you try to decide who gets access to things like lasers, it really doesn't stop determined idiots. Usually we end up with stupid laws that hurt everyone, like ones that ban high powered lasers.

Maybe it's just my libertarianism speaking here, but I think it's wrong to exclude someone from buying something based on experience. Idiots will be idiots no matter what. Giving idiots more weapons thins out the idiot population. We can tell idiots not to drink and drive, but that doesn't mean they will refrain. When you try to decide who gets access to things like lasers, it really doesn't stop determined idiots. Usually we end up with stupid laws that hurt everyone, like ones that ban high powered lasers.

idiots with weapons don't thin out the idiot population.. and this isn't a weapon unless it is used as one... but what it is, is a powerful laser that and "idiot" can mishandle and accidentally hurt somebody fairly easily. and if they are determined idiots then maybe they will learn something along the way... i came here almost 2 years ago just looking for a "burning" laser. now i can't describe the things I have learned. This website has really opened my eyes to life, not just lasers.

michael.

Lumify

IMO, shooting a half watt laser at someone's face is the same as shooting a gun at someone's face. Blindness for life is almost as bad as death, and I wouldn't blind someone unless I were also willing to kill them. In the hands of a true idiot, lasers are more dangerous than guns, and they are definitely weapons. With the exception of those so idiotic that they are already locked up, most idiots know what a gun can do; however, there are lots of idiots that are still willing to shoot a laser at someone's face.

It's really just impractical to try to sort out who will use a laser safely and who will not. If we were to try to do that though, the best way would probably be to make people read an informative article on laser safety and take a test on it. I don't see that happening at any time in the future, because governments would most likely just screw it and ban all lasers.

What we could do is make people read something on laser safety and pass a test prior to signing up for this forum. It would have to be designed in a way so that noobs couldn't cheat and look up the answers on the internet.

IMO, shooting a half watt laser at someone's face is the same as shooting a gun at someone's face. Blindness for life is almost as bad as death, and I wouldn't blind someone unless I were also willing to kill them. In the hands of a true idiot, lasers are more dangerous than guns, and they are definitely weapons. With the exception of those so idiotic that they are already locked up, most idiots know what a gun can do; however, there are lots of idiots that are still willing to shoot a laser at someone's face.

It's really just impractical to try to sort out who will use a laser safely and who will not. If we were to try to do that though, the best way would probably be to make people read an informative article on laser safety and take a test on it. I don't see that happening at any time in the future, because governments would most likely just screw it and ban all lasers.

What we could do is make people read something on laser safety and pass a test prior to signing up for this forum. It would have to be designed in a way so that noobs couldn't cheat and look up the answers on the internet.

I agree with you, we should help noobs protect themselves as much as we can. Some forums have a disclaimer before that you have to Agree or Disagree to be able to register. For those of us already registered, the forum owners/moderators could do the same thing next time we log in.

Agreeing to a note saying: "P.S. You'll shoot your eye out", like the one Ralphie got from his teacher on his essay in the movie "A Christmas Story", will not work. The disclaimer could include basic laser safety instructions for handling Class IV lasers (that would cover lower power laser).

Jose

My concern is less idiots hurting themselves with the lasers - and more with idiots hurting the "uninvolved" with them.

Pointing them at planes is already a problem; All it would take is a few incidents of some idiot pointing a 1W laser at passing cars to enact much more serious legal restrictions on these things.

I used to worry about a 'rich kid' getting ahold of a 1W 808nm. Now, it's more like "anyone at all" getting ahold of a 1W 445nm.

The population thinning itself out is one thing. But this won't be like guns. People know what guns are for, and what they do. As I mentioned in another thread, these are often seen as 'toys'. (You don't buy a gun off of DX for $50 and go shooting it around your room or while out with the friends at the side of buildings to 'check it out.') They look and act like red <5mW laser pointers (and sometimes in the case of 4xx nm are 'deceptively' dim.) They don't slice off fingers or punch holes through walls, so people who aren't in the know figure "What's the big deal?" and will easily wave it around at a pub or during a concert, for example.

Because of this there's much more chance of a situation where someone points the thing at someone else's face, or a moving car, to 'see what happens'.

It's true that we can't filter it. And I think that it's good that, for now, these are only available in raw diode form -- much less chance of a moron getting a working build going. Though that may not always be the case (though I'm not sure that the availability of these will become as ubiquitous as 405nm. 405 had the 'obsolesence race' going for it as far as x-speeds of burners goes, and also BluRay is much more ubiquitous. So far we only know of one source for these diodes.) for now at least it's somewhat self limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.