Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ban Darkarmyofone... Again...

Should Darkarmyofone be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaseth

I'm not going to make big drama about it or nothing, just wanted you guys to know it in case you want to keep contact if I left :)

There are a lot of great members in here and I would continue to lurk the forum. Just saying that if Tyler stays, then this forum is openly supporting scamming, lying and stealing and I don't feel like being associated with that kind of stuff. If Tyler stays, it shows that truly valuable veterans such as Dave and Jerry are now ignored, and that is not a forum I want to be part of either.

It would surprise me if Tyler is allowed to stay, but in case that happens, this place loses my interest as anything other than a simple source of information, so I won't need an account.

Seb

How much was he paying for that add space anyway? :thinking: Mybe a few of us that do monthly donations anyway can get together and buy that space to put up a "Scammers Beware" banner. LOL:crackup:

I'm not going to make big drama about it or nothing, just wanted you guys to know it in case you want to keep contact if I left :)

There are a lot of great members in here and I would continue to lurk the forum. Just saying that if Tyler stays, then this forum is openly supporting scamming, lying and stealing and I don't feel like being associated with that kind of stuff. If Tyler stays, it shows that truly valuable veterans such as Dave and Jerry are now ignored, and that is not a forum I want to be part of either.

It would surprise me if Tyler is allowed to stay, but in case that happens, this place loses my interest as anything other than a simple source of information, so I won't need an account.

Seb

Hey Seb....

If you leave because he may get to stay...
Then he wins.... and has even less difficulty to screw
other members...

I live by the motto... "There is always a solution" ;)

Jerry

How much was he paying for that add space anyway? :thinking: Mybe a few of us that do monthly donations anyway can get together and buy that space to put up a "Scammers Beware" banner. LOL:crackup:

good idea!

Jaseth

I see what you mean Jerry, but as far as I can see, if he stays he has already won.. If he stays this forum is not about a wealth of truthful information about lasers, a strong community and good deals.. then it is just a money maker where people can do what they want as long as they throw some money around.

In that case, the amount of money I have just spent on raffle tickets could probably singlehandedly pay for Tyler getting banned LOL.

Seb

meh, on the one hand, I can understand that there will ALWAYS be both honest and dishonest salespeople in this world, and you know the saying about the evil you know being better then the evil you don't.... However, I am tired of reading through thread after thread, looking for useful info, trying to build my knowledge base of my newest obsession, and instead finding topic after topic of rants and drama. I partly want to vote yes, just to help end the rants and drama.

However ultimately, I have to admit, even a less then honest person is still a contributing member of the community. Having read several of the threads, and knowing nobody personally, it simply looks like "darkarmyofone" has definitely had some shady dealings.

Several topics look like they have gotten BADLY out of hand. There is still a lot of actual facts in them. As I see it, the facts are as follows:

There have been items sold that didn't meet the advertised specs, and judging by the findings, COULDN'T possibly have met the specs. Given that Darkarmyofone does have the means to verify the claims he made prior to making them, there is irrefutable proof of at least negligence in the responsibility as the supplier to verify the claims he made. Under US laws regarding truth in advertising, it is the sole responsibility of the advertiser to make certain the claims are true. So this negligence is simply a crime. minor, but still illegal to advertise a falsehood. However, this is sadly fairly common in the US still. it may be illegal, but many people do in fact do it. In my line of work, false claims carry a stiff penalty, because of the inability of the general public to determine the truth of any claims. In fact, if I were to stamp a ring 14k instead of 10k, the penalty is $250,000 US. This might be why I detest fake claims in advertising as much as I do.

Despite a deep dislike for false advertising, I still have to look and think that this community seems to be a smaller, tight knit community. Lots of people could easily get interested in lasers as a hobby, however there is finite growth room in this community, as if things get out of hand and too many people have high powered lasers, then simple numbers promise that the number of laser related crimes (such as aircraft related, or assault or blinding, etc) would rise to the point of banning lasers. So too many stupid people getting interested in this = eventual ban. So ideally, this will always be a small tight knit community.

I guess it comes down to this. In a small tight knit community, (while there are many thousands of people, given that this community spans the globe, it is definitely small) there is less room for people that spark controversy, or are dishonest. However, there is also a strong need for every person who is adding to the community in a constructive manner. So are things bad enough to sacrifice a valid DIY shop. or not? His prices are low enough, though his inventory seems to be weak. His advertising helps pay for LPF. While other people might talk about it's easily replaced, and people who want him gone will talk about paying for it themselves, the hard fact is, it's even easier to NOT replace that source of income, that continues to have a constructive impact on the community.

In short. he definitely has flaws, and his tone in his posts makes him a fairly unlikable character, he still has a positive effect as well. As to ban him or not. I might as well flip a coin before I vote.... I do NOT see his side of things much, but I do see that he appears to be an asset as well, not just a liability. Sadly, nothing in life is black and white

StridAst

(yes I know this is a gianormouslyfreakinghuge post that basically just says "I can't decide" but I am hoping for people to debate specific points in it, and to possibly help make some more balanced and less emotional choices about what they post.

EDIT: Forgot to add a large part of my point: While many people seem to think that banning or not banning one person will either make people view the forums as harboring dishonest thieves, The fact remains, that in ANY group of people, you will ALWAYS find more and less honest people. Nobody judges an entire forum by a single experience unless they themselves have some serious issues going on. And NOBODY is purely dishonest. Granted once trust is broken its quite hard to trust someone again. However people can and do change. I disagree with "once a thief always a thief" If that mentality was true, then I would have to be a thief, as once when I was 3 years old, I took a pack of gum from the grocery store checkout stand. Now regardless of taking it back, or scolding and spankings, if life was black and white, and once a thief always a thief was a truth, then MOST people would be thieves.

Last edited:
Sigh... I suppose it has to end some time...
It's not personal, dark.
Just annoying.
Anyway... the poll is pretty much decided already.

Things

Sigh... I suppose it has to end some time...

That time will be very soon, hopefully, then we can all return to lasers knowing that another scammer is gone :D

c0ld is just going over some of the threads I guess, but the poll is pretty definite.

incidentally. I voted "Yes" because the coin toss came up tails :D

StridAst

@StridAst...

Thanks for the Input... to put it simply..Read all the posts...
At least the ones on this Thread and the ones linked to on the
1st post...
They will help you decide one way or the other...

As to the advertising issue.... you don't have your finger on
the pulse of the Forum community behind the scenes...:cool:

Jerry

@StridAst...

As to the advertising issue.... you don't have your finger on
the pulse of the Forum community behind the scenes...:cool:

Jerry

True. Still new to this scene. But attempting to learn as much as possible. (however there are SOOO many posts, it takes a great deal of time to read them "all" still working on it)

StridAst

Don't feel bad... I've been here for over a year and have
not read everything I'm interested in...:beer:

Jerry

daguin

True. Still new to this scene. But attempting to learn as much as possible. (however there are SOOO many posts, it takes a great deal of time to read them "all" still working on it)

StridAst

I only "work" about 10 hours a week and even I can't keep up with all of it. Read the stickies and FAQ. Then specialize in one type (or color) of lasers at first.

The learning curve can be pretty steep in the begining.

Peace,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.