Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anything but iPhone (thoughts on Desire, Galaxy S)

Re: Anything but iPhone (thoughts on HTC Desire)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

I went by my T-Mobile shop like a month ago & asked about the Desire; they said "it should be in - in a couple of weeks". So fine, I went back a couple of weeks later and they said "oh... well, we're all sold out, but we should get another shipment by next week". That would be this week and what do I see on their website? "Due to the high demand, the Desire will only be available starting mid-July...".

I'm on vacation in mid July and I wanted to have the damned phone by then... :(:banghead::cryyy::rolleyes:

"I'm not a member, but I play one on TV..."
Seriously, a great hacker site, but I'm not talented enough (same problem with DIY lazors... :eek:) I do have KaiserTweak installed though :cool:

I do have to say that the Kaiser's been my all-time best Mobile/cellphone. The only problem is that I never got used to using the keyboard (preferring the stylus instead) and so I'm fed up with it's thickness. The Desire's about as thick as my Blackberry curve which sits nicely in my back pocket (jeans), inner-pocket (suit), etc. The Kaiser's phat, but it's also fat... :p

The kaiser was the worst and best WM6 pocket pc.. lol. I can go on forever as to why it failed, but I can also make an endless list why it was so great.

Well let's put it this way, it was HTC's test experiment with the Qualcomm 7200 CPU and it failed, they never made drivers for it, it was actually slower than it's predecessor as well as it's predecessor's predecessor lol. It was slower than the TI processors they used to use on the pocket PC's from 2005.

It's all of the xda-developers hacks that made the kaiser good. They atleast made it up to speed, comparable with the TI processors. If the Kaiser remained stock by the company then I'd hate it. But I guess you can say that for every device I've owned... I do hack everything lol. I'm waiting for windows mobile to be as smooth as the iphone and then I'll start buying windows mobile again. Until then I'm using a Nokia n82, great phone, does everything I want (after the hacks of course lol), very similar to the N95 8GB.

Last edited:

Kenom

I'm a big fan of the new palm phone the palm Pre.

I'm a big fan of the new palm phone the palm Pre.
Although I'm no Wallstreet speculator, I think Palm's on it's way out. RIM (Blackberry) has taken a major share [of business] away from them and I don't see them bouncing back to the top...

First impressions: Palm Pre | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
"It also brings innovation and life back to the struggling company and has certainly set the tech world abuzz. Palm's undeniably taken a beating from the media and general public, so it's good to see the company respond and take action."

Well, maybe in the American market Palm is still a player, but Palm's all but dead here in the EU, with RIM & Nokia taking the lion's share of the business arena and Apple (doh) / Sony-Ericsson doing the same for the std. consumer...

I can't believe nobody considered the Evo. 1 GHz snapdragon processor.

Kenom

it was microsoft that killed palm, not the blackberry.. the blackberry's feature and software list is about as long as this thread... while palm being around for over 15 years has a list of hundreds of thousands of applications you can get for your palm.. I mean hell, my palm is a universal remote control that I can use on literally any IR device...

Although everyone wanted windows mobile on their phones.. I mean after all, we have windows at home, why not have it on the phone too.. should put in in my bathroom scale, my toothbrush, my mp3 player, my alarm clock, my television and my microwave. Mac has been trying for YEARS to compete with that and while they have been a constant competitor, probably 10% of computer owners use macs.

not a phone geek but this new 3gs 16 gig works for everything im looking for lol
please dont bash me its just a phone to me

it was microsoft that killed palm, not the blackberry...
I stand corrected.

However, Palm's OS (/ webOS) was actually the core of my argument. I don't think the average [educated] buyer is looking so much at the HW as they are on the OS. IMO, the Palm OS is slowly but surely loosing popularity, with, as you noted, OSes like Microsoft and now Android becoming more and more popular. Symbian is also losing customer share, although they are still leaders (for now...):

"In the number of "smart mobile device" shipments, Symbian devices are the market leaders. Statistics published in February 2010 showed that the Symbian devices comprised a 47.2% share of the smart mobile devices shipped in in 2009, with RIM having 20.8%, Apple having 15.1% (through iPhone OS), Microsoft having 8.8% (through Windows CE and Windows Mobile) and Android having 4.7%. Other competitors include webOS, Qualcomm's BREW, SavaJe, Linux and MontaVista Software."

I'm not sure how webOS will fare against the competition, but are those 15 years of exisiting PalmOS apps compatible with webOS...?

***EDIT***

I love my nexus one.
Hell, I bet you do :D

...this new 3gs ... please dont bash me...
Well then you won't want to hang out here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
:p

Last edited:

I stand corrected.

However, Palm's OS (/ webOS) was actually the core of my argument. I don't think the average [educated] buyer is looking so much at the HW as they are on the OS. IMO, the Palm OS is slowly but surely loosing popularity, with, as you noted, OSes like Microsoft and now Android becoming more and more popular. Symbian is also losing customer share, although they are still leaders (for now...):

"In the number of "smart mobile device" shipments, Symbian devices are the market leaders. Statistics published in February 2010 showed that the Symbian devices comprised a 47.2% share of the smart mobile devices shipped in in 2009, with RIM having 20.8%, Apple having 15.1% (through iPhone OS), Microsoft having 8.8% (through Windows CE and Windows Mobile) and Android having 4.7%. Other competitors include webOS, Qualcomm's BREW, SavaJe, Linux and MontaVista Software."

I'm not sure how webOS will fare against the competition, but are those 15 years of exisiting PalmOS apps compatible with webOS...?

***EDIT***

Hell, I bet you do :D

Well then you won't want to hang out here:
Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News
:p

lol :crackup:

in my car i have about 10 gigs on my 5th generation i-pod of all the music i like
when i start-up my car it automatically loads through the kenwood interface -its older 5 years
now you just hook directly to usb i really like having up to 60 gigs of music in your hand .or in my case the glovebox im sure theres a lot better out there but great for the price

im usually 5 years behind anyways lol

Last edited:

Kenom

are those 15 years of exisiting PalmOS apps compatible with webOS...?

Yes and no. There is an app that someone came up with that allows the older applications to be launched in an old-school emulator allowing these older programs to be launched.... I'm sure there are lots of programs that will now be totally incompatible with the new phone.. one of the reasons I do not have the new Pre as of yet.. I've still got an older generation Treo 700P. When I am forced to upgrade, I honestly don't know which direction I will go but it will most likely be the Pre.

it was microsoft that killed palm, not the blackberry.. the blackberry's feature and software list is about as long as this thread... while palm being around for over 15 years has a list of hundreds of thousands of applications you can get for your palm.. I mean hell, my palm is a universal remote control that I can use on literally any IR device...

Although everyone wanted windows mobile on their phones.. I mean after all, we have windows at home, why not have it on the phone too.. should put in in my bathroom scale, my toothbrush, my mp3 player, my alarm clock, my television and my microwave. Mac has been trying for YEARS to compete with that and while they have been a constant competitor, probably 10% of computer owners use macs.

saw on the news last night while these are hard #s on users Microsoft vs
Mac for the first time Apple is trading higher than Microsoft in the stockmarket. :bowdown: