Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A130 vs A140 diodes - are they different?

Bogart

Does anyone know, or have any evidence showing whether the diodes from these two units are actually any different from one another, or are they the exact same thing, and the A140 just drives them harder?

Tabish

We don't really know yet.

EDIT: Data now suggests 140 are more efficient.

Last edited:

oic0

From the reading ive done on here they appear to be identical though all diodes vary in efficiency and the A140 may have higher minimum standards causing it to get the better ones. A practice commonly known as binning. Its common practice with electronics until the the manufacturing efficiency / precision reaches a level where they all more than surpass the minimum requirements of the highest model.

We DO know that they are driven at higher currents while used in the A140. So... thats good news for the owners of the A130 diodes if the diodes are identical. The A130s are cheaper by a few doll hairs.

Last edited:
-We should settle this BUMP-

I'd like to know this too but I find it hard to believe. I don't think they'd manufacture two different diodes only to have them run at a slightly different wattage. HAs anyone torture tested both side by side?

-Tony

daguin

-We should settle this BUMP-

I'd like to know this too but I find it hard to believe. I don't think they'd manufacture two different diodes only to have them run at a slightly different wattage. HAs anyone torture tested both side by side?

-Tony

I don't know of anyone who has yet. However, even testing a couple of them side-by-side will NOT tell us this. Diodes vary in their efficiency from diode to diode. How can you know which you got from which projector?

Did you get a high efficiency diode from the A130? Did you get a low efficiency diode from the A140? Did you get two low or two high efficiency diodes from the different projectors? Only after testing MANY, MANY diodes will we be able to answer this question with any degree of confidence

Peace,
dave

for my sanity and time i hope to god they are better.
they dont have that kink once they get over 1w tho but who knows.
so if we test 10 projectors that should give us 240 laser results now whos got 9k?

Only time and testing will tell--in the meantime--someone selling the A-140 MIGHT say--A-140s-- HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY !!!---A-130s?? Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy!! J/K lol :D
I offer the A-130s & I am not convinced the extra $$ are worth it--but what do I know?? :shhh:

One thing for sure--130 or 140--laserglow can no longer say the offer the most powerful (Herc) laser in the World--still the brightest tho.:eek:
Ya'll be careful--either 445 will injury someone equally--:gun:

btw anyone try to set a piece of raw chicken 'on fire instantly' ...as in 'sets flesh on fire instantly'??:(

make mine well done please,,,,:na:

Last edited:
Laser cooked chicken!! Never thought of it! Thanks Hak.
LaserWave Oven coming soon from Halo Technologies & Hakzaw Inc. Casio projectors are so useful. Well unless you want to watch a movie with a quality picture :na:.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone who has yet. However, even testing a couple of them side-by-side will NOT tell us this. Diodes vary in their efficiency from diode to diode. How can you know which you got from which projector?

Did you get a high efficiency diode from the A130? Did you get a low efficiency diode from the A140? Did you get two low or two high efficiency diodes from the different projectors? Only after testing MANY, MANY diodes will we be able to answer this question with any degree of confidence

Peace,
dave

Well if the differences, if any, are that difficult to determine side by side then for all intents and purposes they are the same IMO. I was just wondering if anyone had made any headway in determining this.

-Tony

Laser cooked chicken!! Never thought of it! Thanks Hak.
LaserWave Oven coming soon from Halo Technologies & Hakzaw Inc. kasio projectors are so useful. Well unless you want to watch a movie with a quality picture :na:.

about the Kasios for movies--not so good I hear-I don't know... bought two and never really used them for intended purpose-
Luke and Dr. Chuck did--opinion---FAIL... for movies anyway.:tsk:

LaserWave Oven

Halo--you might be onto something there!!!

how about a combo-microwave/convection/laser oven??

cooks a hot dog in milliseconds!!!:crackup:

btw

halo ... another nice avatar ....:yh:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Only time and testing will tell--in the meantime--someone selling the A-140 MIGHT say--A-140s-- HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY !!!---A-130s?? Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy!! J/K lol :D
I offer the A-130s & I am not convinced the extra $$ are worth it--but what do I know?? :shhh:

One thing for sure--130 or 140--laserglow can no longer say the offer the most powerful (Herc) laser in the World--still the brightest tho.:eek:
Ya'll be careful--either 445 will injury someone equally--:gun:

btw anyone try to set a piece of raw chicken 'on fire instantly' ...as in 'sets flesh on fire instantly'??:(

make mine well done please,,,,:na:

Indeed you can burn flesh instantly with a 445nm. Did it last night at ~1.2W and a AR 405 nm glass lens.

I heard that diodes from the 130 have better beam profile than ones from the 140... can anyone confirm this?

I heard that diodes from the 130 have better beam profile than ones from the 140... can anyone confirm this?

Where did you here this? I have 1 A130 diode and 2 A140 diodes. All of them have almost the same exact divergence of the fast and slow axis if I recall correctly. I'll double check again once i get another heatsink.

daguin

I have been through MANY of these diodes now. I am convinced that they are the same diode. However, the arrays are binned for output. That means that there are more higher efficiency diodes in the 140 array than there are in the 130 array. For your extra $2 you are increasing the odds that you will get a higher efficeincy diode from a 140.

Peace,
dave