Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A130 vs A140 diodes - are they different?

plexus

I have been through MANY of these diodes now. I am convinced that they are the same diode. However, the arrays are binned for output. That means that there are more higher efficiency diodes in the 140 array than there are in the 130 array. For your extra $2 you are increasing the odds that you will get a higher efficeincy diode from a 140.

Peace,
dave

Very interesting, dave. When you say efficient do you mean in terms of the ratio of light energy out vs power in? if so, how are you testing that? do you have some data you can share?

terdy

How about pin layout? is this the same from a130 to a140? Mine has a case pin, according to my multimeter!!

Very interesting, dave. When you say efficient do you mean in terms of the ratio of light energy out vs power in? if so, how are you testing that? do you have some data you can share?

graph445-2.jpg

terdy

As i understand it, one could still connect the case pin to the negative pin when using a flexdrive, i think i understand now, duh!! The wire might have to be used when using something other than a flexdrive, right?

plexus

Chart from post above ^^^

Its too bad we don't have something scientific and controlled. The chart is from a variety of sources using a variety of drive, sink and output measurement so the data is really not useful. the average deviation on that chart is around 8% which considering the disparate sources is probably within the margin of error.

Maybe someone will do a controlled experiment one day. If i had both diodes I would do it. Maybe I'll spring for a A140 diode so I can do this.

My approach would be to measure and record the I and V consumption of the diodes against the power output using the same PSU, ideally a regulated supply. Might as well record heat sink temp along with it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know something about the differences between A130 and M130? And It's nominal power? Is it 500mW or higher?

Encap

Does anyone know something about the differences between A130 and M130? And It's nominal power? Is it 500mW or higher?

This thread has been dead for >7 years. Nobody has had any interest in it for more than 7 years.

Necro-posting is very frowned upon unless you have something new to contribute.

You should have started a new thread to ask the question.

Buy whatever antique used projector you want and do the tests yourself or search the LPF database using the search function at the bottom of the page to find information.

If you want to know about diodes people are interested in now/2017 see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

Last edited:
I pm'd this guy asking if he would like to be vetted, no answer. No one is required to do so, but for myself, it's a hint when I get a no, or no response. There are perfectly acceptable reasons not to do so, I must keep an open mind in regard to that, but when the posts being made appear to push the envelope by crossing well known forum etiquettes, combined with that, an even stronger hint.

edit; god, i always think of something more to add. Given, a newbie wouldn't know the etiquettes at first, that doesn't bother me so much, we can show them what they are, it's the former banned members who like to come back to the forum who do know, and purposely break them to ruffle feathers are the ones i'm after.

Last edited:
Alaskan, i sent reply to you. Almost all infos is about 140leds, about 130 is almost no info. This is the reason why i ask. My thread was locked, from my fault. I wan't make new thread, like troll so i think that i wright here. Sorry if it was problem:undecided:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Many answers come to those who use the search bar. My -REP will stand seeing as all the info that will probably ever exist is available in the first page of results. Including but not limited to power graphs.

Final note, did you even read this thread you necro'd?
Not everyone may know, but any post by Daguin can be taken as laser gospel. He spent a lot of money on the early "blue" diodes. Talking $500 for a diode that can now be had for $15 shipped from china. If he says the a130's and a140's were different efficiency bins, they were.

EDIT:My rep will stand until I feel this person has redeemed themselves. The info was easily found via utilizing the search bar and some light reading. If this thread had been dug up to ask for info which did not exist on the forum already, I would not have cared and would have given a +rep to get a member started off. If future posts show redemption, I will gladly give Spanner +REP myself later on and an apology.

Last edited:

GSS

Ok, it's 7 year old thread:whistle: but let's not put him in the red yet..
We never know people's finances and situations or the language barrier..
Spanner, maby you can send member "Hakzaw" a polite PM as he just might be the only member active here that has salvaged A130's..If I remember he sent me one 2 years ago and said not to push more than 700mw..

Last edited:
Ok, it's 7 year old thread:whistle: but let's not put him in the red yet..
We never know people's finances and situations or the language barrier..
Spanner, maby you can send member "Hakzaw" a polite PM as he just might be the only member active here that has salvaged A130's..If I remember he sent me one 2 years ago and said not to push more than 700mw..
:wtf:.. Lucky I read the last Posts here...
Was just about to teach a new member
that breaking Forum etiquette rules has
a price....:undecided:
As far as I'm concerned this is his 2nd
strike.

Jerry

Last edited:
If you think I'm a troll, then just delete the account. I am interested in the M130 because this device is within my reach I can buy for about $ 100. I just wanted to know her power, that's all. It's not my fault that some idiots are trolling you. I know I broke the rules, but I will not do it anymore. I see your interest in my nick. It comes from the names of the characters from one of the anime, old times. As for verification, I will not be asking anyone to confirm that I am. I can only show you some of my work - I have only one laser for a while, with a LOC diode from a DVD. That's all.
Regards

diachi

If you think I'm a troll, then just delete the account. I am interested in the M130 because this device is within my reach I can buy for about $ 100. I just wanted to know her power, that's all. It's not my fault that some idiots are trolling you. I know I broke the rules, but I will not do it anymore. I see your interest in my nick. It comes from the names of the characters from one of the anime, old times. As for verification, I will not be asking anyone to confirm that I am. I can only show you some of my work - I have only one laser for a while, with a LOC diode from a DVD. That's all.
Regards

Spanner, sorry if you've feel unwelcome. We've had some returning trolls so some members are being extra vigilant when it comes to new members.

Be careful if you're buying used projectors, sometimes they are so cheap because the diodes have already been removed or are dead.

Even if all of the diodes are intact and working, it can be a lot of work to extract them. For what it's worth, you're usually better of buying an individual diode that's already been extracted. You can even buy diodes that have already been pressed into modules with leads soldered on for you.

To others: Keep in mind the mods made it clear that calling out people for being trolls without objective evidence would not be tolerated going forward. As for the whole "vetting" thing, it doesn't sit right with me, even if it's done by PM. If I were new I'd either ignore those requests or leave and never come back. Not sure where the mods stand on that issue, but that's my $0.02. I'll post some more on that in the other thread.

As for spanners, IIRC it means something different in America/Canada, can't quite remember what. In the UK it usually refers to one of these:

F4953649-01.jpg

Reactions: GSS