Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9 Amp PT-54 Phlatlight Maglite Mod!

jayrob

Re: PT-54 Phlatlight Maglite Mod!

I've got all the parts ordered... (a green Mag host too!) :cool:

I'll show it when I get it going. Probably the reflector will take a couple of weeks from KD though...

jayrob

jcranmer, I got your PM thanks!

Amazing gob!
Bravo!

I want to see the green light! :D

:thanks: Won't be too long! :D

I got the green emitter today and I already have another 9 Amp driver. So I can start the build, but I won't get the reflector for probably a couple of weeks from KD. So it won't be totally complete, but I can just swap heads with my red build to test it out! :)

Update:

I just now tested the green emitter with the 9 Amp driver and 2 X Li-Ions to see what the current at the LED was, and it is 8.9 Amps just like with the red.

I didn't test voltage to the LED though. But I can light up a red PT-54 with a 3 volt lithium primary and it's very bright. (2 Amps current draw)

But with the green (same battery), very dim. Can look right at it.

So that tells me the voltage is too low. (driver needed) So I would bet that it needs 4.9 volts just like the specs on the sales page says it does...

The information on the sales page shows 13.5 Amps, and 4.9 volts for both the green as well as the blue...
PT-54-G-C21-MPB Luminus Devices LED Arrays, Modules and Light Bars

And the red says 13.9 Amps and 2.6 volts...

That high efficiency 9 Amp buck driver I showed is expensive, but man what a nice driver it is...

And using a driver, your emitter will be regulated. So the output will stay the same. (as the batteries drain) Using 2 cells in series with this build, means more run time/capacity. :)

Another update: After finishing the green build... (both builds using the 9 Amp buck driver shown)

I did test voltage to the emitter of each build:

Green PT-54: 4.3
Red PT-54: 2.2

Last edited:
After you put together your green one you should get a blue Maglite and build a blue one :whistle:

that's awesome. The one i made get's warm instantly. after about 5 seconds, you can feel the heat coming out of the host. It's being direct driven by 1x18650.
I also ran through about 10 switches trying to find one that didn't burn up instantly.

Last edited:

jayrob

Yeah the Maglite is the killer host for something like this. (or an SST-90 @ 9 Amps)

The switch is really heavy duty. I've taken them apart and it's a nice solid ring or band probably about 3/8" in diameter. Plus you need something large enough to manage the heat and to hold some large capacity cells...

After you put together your green one you should get a blue Maglite and build a blue one :whistle:

Just might have to do that! :)

I'm sure the green one will be the bomb. Even the red one shows a nice red beam reaching out into the night sky at 9 amps and with this 'nice throw' set up...

Last edited:
RGB 9 amp color-matched maglites. That would need to be cemented into your sig :D

Can't wait to see all 3 next to each other for a group beamshot haha

Tape all three together and you have a white flashlight :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Tonga

Wow Jay this is awesome:bowdown::beer:!! You have the coolest ideas man:)!!

eexe

Tape all three together and you have a white flashlight :tinfoil:
So we will finally have white flashlights, I couldn't imagine that such a day will come! :crackup: Thanks for showing such a nice build, Jay, can't wait to see green light. :)

jayrob

:thanks:

Glad you guys like it! :)

This same set up would make a pretty nice SST-90 build, but I opted for more run time and 3 modes with my XM-L T6 build instead... (linked below)

Tape all three together and you have a white flashlight

Ha ha!

I'm thinking that green is going to be so bright that it will wash out the red totally...

I'll find out pretty soon! :cool:

I have a 1000 lumen Maglite in white! :) See here:
FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!!

Last edited:
That's a sweet light jay! How come you used 32650s instead of 32600s?

I gotta re-do my SST-90 because it poof'd on me :banghead: :(

jayrob

That's a sweet light jay! How come you used 32650s instead of 32600s?

I gotta re-do my SST-90 because it poof'd on me

The two concerns for this build, were heat management, and battery current draw. (must be careful not to over discharge Li-Ion's)

Lots of heat to manage with a 9 Amp build, so I used up all the room with a heatsink as large as I could fit. (no room for the voltage monitor shown for my XM-L T6 Mag mod)

So the solution was to use the 5500mAh 32650 protected cells! :D

They barely fit. The ones from Novae are the exact same length as the ones I showed here in this thread...

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Show us some pics with that green fatlight LED once your done :D

jayrob

Show us some pics with that green fatlight LED once your done :D

Just finishing it up now...

Phlatlight%20Green%201.jpg

I did my testing and everything. Just waiting for the silicone thermal glue to dry. (that's what I used to hold the driver in place)

The current to the emitter is the same as with the red. (8.9 Amps)

But the current draw from the 2 X 32650's in series is more with the green build. Because of the higher voltage demand from the green emitter vs the red...

The voltage demand (per the data sheet) for the green PT-54 is 4.9 vs 2.6 for the red. (I measured 4.3 for the Green PT-54, and 2.2 for the red)

My battery current draw on this Green PT-54 build is 6.7 Amps vs 3.8 Amps for the Red PT-54. And of course that means it gets warmer too...

But it will still be fairly close to an hour of run time. :D

But the brightness should totally blow away the red! According to the data sheet, the Green PT-54 will be about 1000 lumens at this current. (vs about 450 lumens for the red)

450 lumens of red is blinding. 1000 lumens of green should be staggering!

I'll show some beam shots a little later tonight! :)

Last edited: