Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Direct Diode 20mW CNI-PGL-III-C Custom Build

Hey All,

Custom CNI-PGL-III-C
Direct Diode 488nm SkyBlue Diode Laser

DSC03727_zpsa672349e.jpg

:drool:

A long and awaiting for thread. This is a thread dedicated to my build and a few points on testing the diode. There will be another thread full of details on what i have learned and tested about these 488nm diodes. I might also add in my Opinion on the 473nm diodes aswell since i have different info/results on them then a few others that have tested them so far.:)

None the less here we go.:wave:

So why choose a CNI-PGL-III-C host rather then a custom host. Well i dont really like aluminum custom hosts all that much for blue. I was always more of a flashlight host laser guy anyway but for blue i dint like them unless they where a flashlight body. Maybe just old school from when the 445nm first came out.. The PGL-III-C is probably one of my favorite host and i wanted this laser to be in a laser host and frankly there is not many out there to choose from that i think would fit this Wavelength. I was going back and forth with the PGL-C or PGL-A and decided on the C. "Ill put the 473nm one in the A probably" :)

So here is the diode i have:

http://www.combinlasers.com/7Nichia/NDS1113E.pdf

^If that link does not work google the Model number it will be the first one on googles list.:)

The Diode is Case "-" due to the photo diode that is installed in the 488nm diodes.

In this build i will be using the 489nm one i have.

P7060103_zps07e073ed.jpg

P7060125_zpsedcbb7b5.jpg

P7060171_zps2ee1109b.jpg

P7060142_zpsf6d52506.jpg

P7060143_zpsf5bf23ad.jpg

Here is everything that went into the build:

P2120004_zpsadc9ad05.jpg

I had to create a Custom Driver or more so a Custom Size version of my X-Boost to work in this host. Since it was a Side Switch and had an LED i made this. On the Left is my driver and on the right is the stock CNI driver:
P2120030_zps6f3bff34.jpg

Top:
P2200062_zps5c65f29c.jpg

Bottom:
P2200060_zps8cae8c54.jpg

Bottom with Switch:
P2200071_zps7b2fc92f.jpg

Now i also wanted the LED to Emit 488nm. That was a challenge. I purchased probably about a dozen Different LEDs because alot of them would only list a range not a dedicated Wavelength. Even when they did they where either too Green or to Blue... So I contacted DJNY "Phi" For some help and he told me to check out Roithner. So I did just that. I looked there there price list an came across the SMC490. Which is a 490nm dedicated LED. It emits at exactly 489nm to 490nm on my spectrometer.:) So its spot on.!:wave: Also i need the LED to be around the 1206 size package. This was the hard part was to find something in this size so the SMC490 again was a perfect fit.! Now Roithners shipping chargers for overseas is around 30$. The LEDs where about 5$ each so i order 3 just to have. However what i dint know was Phi also lives within Minutes of Roithner so he contacted them for me to see if he can pick them up for me to save on shipping. The Said Sure and off he went to get them for me.:wave: Can't thank Phi "DJNY" enough for finding it for me and then going to pick them up and ship them to me saved me 30$.:) Thanks Buddy..:beer: Ill let him post the pictures if he likes of Roithner.:)

SMC490 Datasheet:
http://www.epitex.com/products/surface_mount_led/pdfs/SMC490.pdf

Here are some close up shots of the LED. I find it very cool looking.
P2120011_zps91e07616.jpg

P2120015_zps43fff96a.jpg

P2120018_zps58edeff1.jpg

Rebel LED on the left,in the middle a random 1206 size LED and on the right SMC490:
P2120021_zps35f8980d.jpg

Here it is a close up on the Driver board:
P2200064_zps6ffb4365.jpg

Here it is On:
1_zps669c42b3.jpg

Side view:
P2120036_zps3a982c90.jpg

So after this is when i set the driver. Now i decided not to overdrive the laser. Iam happy with 20mW. So i set it to exactly what it said on the diodes case it came with. 98mA on my Custom Testload:
P2230008_zpse51934b9.jpg

After that i mixed up some epoxy just enough to hold the driver in place in the Host Pill setup:
P2230021_zps56b889e5.jpg

I soldered my wire to the "-" Spring. (Please note thats a large solder blob that was original on it that CNI did. So just reused that and attached it there):
P2230028_zpsc15f86c0.jpg

Tested it again to make sure everything was working good still:
P2230037_zpsfe47e44c.jpg

Now i went to work in the head and diode module. Which the design was so. Basically the old Focusing lens Ring is acting as a stopper and the brass tighten ring holds the new diode heatsink sandwiched together inside the head. Like so:
P2120022_zps85ebe825.jpg

P2120026_zps243b8454.jpg

I used some thermal adhesive to hold the module in:
P2120034_zpsaf4864c4.jpg

You can see the setup here:
P2240058_zps37acbbae.jpg

P2240060_zps5b81a457.jpg

Diode is in and here you can see the stopper in place:
P2130040_zps089156fe.jpg

Putting the module/Heatsink in:
P2130042_zps9b5a2419.jpg

The brass ring holds everything in place:
P2130044_zpsf977874a.jpg

I experimented with many different lenses. Iam still waiting on a few more to arrive but as of now i went with a G-lens. What iam waiting for is a longer Focal length Lens and a couple different triplets and achromat to try out. The issue with finding the right lens with these diodes is like many of the Nichia diodes you get that square box off the dot which is the internal reflection of the facet. Spatial filter would take it away but i dont have the room in a handheld for that. So Edmund optics recommended me to use a longer FL lens so that the reflection is not so close so that it doesn't reflect the image in the output as bright. Thats the only downside with Direct diodes. IMO:
P2240042_zps231feff9.jpg

After that i pushed the driver assembly into the host body:
P2240065_zpsf65c5a03.jpg

Side view:
P2240063_zps327c8b29.jpg

Then i got the custom sleeve i made to hold down the driver pill assembly so that when i put the cell in or press the button it doesn't move:
P2240069_zps64441b16.jpg

Goes in like so:
P2240072_zps238dbc9f.jpg

I choose to use a diode socket. instead of solder since i will be taking it apart to test the new lenses. This socket is a good quality one. For laser diodes Not photo diodes. SO everything fits really tight.:
P2240076_zps4974ee97.jpg

Here is a picture of th cheap ones not to use for laser diodes which are meant for photo diodes. The dont host the diode pins tight at all:
P2240079_zpsb8e2a765.jpg

So i soldered my leads:
P2240083_zps4faa766b.jpg

Put Flaminpyro's heatsink tubing (Love this stuff) on:
P2240085_zps9577fd5b.jpg

So at this point here is where iam at:
P2240089_zps64d13f71.jpg

Now i attached the + Input Voltage wire from the driver to the case with a set screw since i was making this laser case + to keep it with the original design of the host which all CNI PGL are Case +..:
P2240099_zps69fcf431.jpg

Then after shorting the drivers +/- Diode leads i plugged the diode in:
P2240102_zps3ea933f2.jpg

To put the aperture back on you have to be careful. There is these white plastic stoppers or shims that go into the screw holes to press against the aperture ring so that when you turn it, it has some Resistance and not loose. So i put those back in here:
P2240091_zpsdec10a01.jpg

Then put the aperture cap on and tightened the 3 small set screws to hold it in place. Not super tight:
P2240093_zpsd3774977.jpg

Screwed it together and Done.:wave:
DSC03713_zpsb2bbb879.jpg

:beer: :drool: :drool: :drool: :beer:

DSC03714_zpsc6dbecbf.jpg

DSC03717_zps4b8b642e.jpg

P2200076_zps6fe43649.jpg

P2240128_zpsd383ae9f.jpg

P2240130_zps8b6595bc.jpg

P2240131_zpsc7c2175b.jpg

P2240132_zps66bc53f9.jpg

P2240133_zpsa14361a4.jpg

DSC03735_zps69f5e803.jpg

DSC03734_zps5315a687.jpg

DSC03742_zpsb5b66400.jpg

DSC03733_zpscfe7279c.jpg

DSC03721_zps133ecc42.jpg

DSC03724_zps35369719.jpg

LPM Results:
DSC03750_zpse4397631.jpg

Here is the Spectrometer results of the dedicated Wavelength:
DirrectdiodehandheldSpectro_zpsde8788e3.png

Spectrometer Setup:
P2240138_zps3ea58cef.jpg

Videos:

Beam Shot 1:

Beam Shot 2:

Final Thoughts:

Iam very happy how this laser build turned out.:wave: Iam happy with how everything came out especially the LED matching the Wavelength of the diode where you cant tell the difference. Iam glad that i made the custom driver size and setup Originally i was just dong to make a switch board and have the driver attached in between the diode and the switch board somewhere but i figured why not make the driver as iam sure some more people might have a use for it in side clicky builds. (These switches can handle some decent current if anyone needs one) I wanted to go with the X-boost as i can change the soft start or Ramp up time in which i did 2 seconds sweep. I might need to make an adjustment to the aperture of the laser if i choose a longer FL lens but other then that the laser is perfect.! My next build will be a a DPSS 488nm handheld.:) Already got the parts but thats going to take me sometime to finish. Its alot more complicated then a diode build.

Think CNI will higher me.?:crackup: J/K

Ill post my diode testing results in another thread in the next week or so.:) Ive got a couple big projects to finish this week as parts just arrived for them.:) Keep a look out.:wave:​

As always...

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Keep on Lazing......

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Superb! Your attention to detail is unequaled! :beer:
I don't know if CNI will hire you or not, but IMHO, this is nicer than anything that they build.
Top notch!

Last edited:

ARG

Great work man!

That custom driver is impressive! The electronics always impresses me :D

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Damn that's an amazing build. :eek: Hopefully more 488 diodes will start to appear. This is a color I have yet to ever have in my collection. :D

DJNY

It´s done :wave:

Verrry awesome review, so much love to the detail :)

Nice pics as well :gj:

Great that the LEDs also turned out to be such on spot :beer:

Last edited:
You are like a god of lasers! Wish I had the time aand money to invest in something so unique! Great work!

DTR

Amazing as always. Lot of thought and effort went into this build. Great work.:beer:

Wow excellent work Angelos, what an amazing colour! Great to see you posting again too! :wave: :beer:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
This is very nice. I never knew such diodes existed.

I think they've existed for a while, but just as engineering samples, or implemented into multi thousand dollar lab modules.

Rarely does one pop out of Nichia tight clutches. We need some product to come out that actually uses them so Nichia has a reason to mass produce. :D

Last edited:

rhd

That is remarkable, beautiful work. Not just the diode, but your attention to detail in craftsmanship.

Was that diode a one-off stroke of good luck, or is it something it would be possible to source again? (With enough money to cover the price tag).

No need to respond on that point though - I realize these things can be sensitive.

pretty neat! thought about doing something like this, glad to see i wasn't the only one. difference is you have money, I do not! :p beam diameter looks huge on that beast, but probably pretty steady and low power since its a diode! well made, and love the detail of your process!

Superb! Your attention to detail is unequaled! :beer:
I don't know if CNI will hire you or not, but IMHO, this is nicer than anything that they build.
Top notch!

Thanks.:) Lets see what and if they post.:crackup: Never know.? hehe j/k

Great work man!

That custom driver is impressive! The electronics always impresses me :D

Me too. I like how this driver came out. Iam sure there is a few out there that have dead CNI-PGL-III-C hosts. Since its an X-Boost that means it can at least in this setup drive up to ~1.8A.:) So good enough for anything up to a M140.:)

Iam sure there is some side clicky custom hosts aswell that would work well too.

I also made a board to hold a Rebel LED.:) Same setup just different LED.

Damn that's an amazing build. :eek: Hopefully more 488 diodes will start to appear. This is a color I have yet to ever have in my collection. :D

Thanks.:) 488nm is a Nice Wavelenth. Its one of my favorites. But 491nm kills it IMO:

Check my Youtube page. I got a bunch more of 488nm and 491nm new vids i posted in the past month.:)

SaWeeeeeeet! love it man bravo!!!!!

New you would. You posted beofre i could link you.:p

It´s done :wave:

Verrry awesome review, so much love to the detail :)

Nice pics as well :gj:

Great that the LEDs also turned out to be such on spot :beer:

Yes Finally right.LOL Took me forever to get the time to finish a build of my own. But love it.:)

The LED is perfect. There is No other LED that i tested that came close to this one you gt me. The only other option would have been to dirrectly add a fiber from the diode module to the Light pipe like RD_Tech does. So iam glad this workd out.:)

You are like a god of lasers! Wish I had the time aand money to invest in something so unique! Great work!

When you want something save for it. I promise it comes faster then expected.:) Though these are unique i dint pay the price you see listed on companys sites.:p Surplus...

Amazing as always. Lot of thought and effort went into this build. Great work.:beer:

Yeah i like how it came out, its been what 7 months since i got them.LOL Its been long and awaiting to post.:wave:

Wow excellent work Angelos, what an amazing colour! Great to see you posting again too! :wave: :beer:

Thanks. Yeah Wavelegth/color is great. Really like it out of the black host.

Once i finish these 2 last big build i have fo 2 people i should be back to posting again.:) To some extent.:scared:

:spank:

This is very nice. I never knew such diodes existed.

I think they've existed for a while, but just as engineering samples, or implemented into multi thousand dollar lab modules.

Rarely does one pop out of Nichia tight clutches. We need some product to come out that actually uses them so Nichia has a reason to mass produce. :D

Exactly. We probably wont see these or this Wavelength. Direct double 488nm systems or OPSL are pretty much what companies go for, for 488nm. It will be very hard to beat that with a diode. Especially how advance they are now with single longitude, low noise and high coherent length.

Though not to long ago grainde Showed us a 1W 473nm diode that is in the works.

Though who knows knows. I found some interest info on 445nm diodes and 520nm diode during testing these 488nm and 473nm diodes that i dont think its that much harder to make 488nm diode over 520nm.

it comes down to exactly what you said. Nichia needs a reason to mass produce these and iam pretty sure anything for like florescence or DNA sequence they will go direct double or OPSL. Only if some type of video system requires these 488nm diode will i think we see them.

Which i think first we will see those 1W 473nm before anything else.

But again who knows. I have not heard anything.

That is remarkable, beautiful work. Not just the diode, but your attention to detail in craftsmanship.

Was that diode a one-off stroke of good luck, or is it something it would be possible to source again? (With enough money to cover the price tag).

No need to respond on that point though - I realize these things can be sensitive.

Look who left his cave.:wave: My long time buddy.:beer: Long time since i see you post. Are you back.?

You must of missed the 473nm thread.

Several^ dint believe me to buy them up (The 473nm diodes) but In short there was a lot of about 20 473nm diodes and from what i say a few 488's and many 30+ 375nm but most of those where no good.

I got 3 diodes at the time 2 488 and 1 473.

Most of the 473 diodes popped up on ebay after i left to come back.

I made sure that the lot i bought had 488nm diodes in it as i was there at the place in person.. So there might be at least 1-3 more floating around. There was even a 200mW model on the second day.!!! (I was only there on day one or i would have gotten that too.):D Could have been already sold to research labs already more then likely. So i would not hold my breath on seeing them. It seems only the ones i got showed online since i post online.:(

I got these about 7 months ago. So we would have seen them by now. Ive asked every month to my supplier that lives out there that went half with me on the large lot of laser i got at that time if he has seen anymore come up and always the answer is no. not even an empty box or trace.

I even asked my friend that works at a lab out there that works with diodes for high end laser module and he cant even find me more for a surplus prices.

So pretty much luck.

So if i was not clear these where a surplus buy. not from a company. (Which if that was the case i would have got more for any of you guys.)

So as far as i know the 488 are gone for now. Maybe you might find some 473nm still around..

I have access to 3 473nm diode right now. IIRC without checking one is 474,475 & 478nm.

However he is also a laser collector (Not from forums but more old school big laser type of collector) so getting them is hard from him. He want my Cobolt Jive 561nm laser for them and its not worth the trade In my eyes.:confused:?

He doesn't want cash either.

For me to trade my 561nm Jive would be very hard to give up. Even though i have another 561nm laser by Melles Griot, Cobolt lasers are very hard to come by let alone at 561nm and nearly brand new with low hours on it like my head has. So i dont know what to do.

So for now i guess we must wait some more.:(

I am trying to get more. Every month i try i promise. but it seems these where really just a luck pop up that came and gone quick.!

Though i see you have 495nm in your sig.? Is that a diode.? As well as i see 505nm.? Interesting Never seen those WL before in a diode formate...

you're a wizard of photons angelos and a real craftsman to boot!

If i had more time i would show you my wizard powers.:beer:

pretty neat! thought about doing something like this, glad to see i wasn't the only one. difference is you have money, I do not! :p beam diameter looks huge on that beast, but probably pretty steady and low power since its a diode! well made, and love the detail of your process!

Beam diameter is 4mm x 1mm at the aperture and 6.5mm x 3mm at 20 meters. Not fat at all. Must be all the smoke or your not use to seeing this kind of Blue not in Solid state format.

What diode where you going to use.?:) If you want i have a few boards left over from my order i think i have 4 left if anyone wants to order one they are same price as any X-Boost.:)

Yeah its a rock. Doesn't move in power and has IMO continuous Duty cycle. No heat or anything generated. Though i only run it for under 5 minutes at a time. I have my labbies for longer then that.:D

Last edited:
Wow. So much detailed stuff you worked on. Very impressing!
And a very lovely wavelength too :)

edit: must spread some rep :/

Last edited: