Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

IgorT

Re: 405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

rkcstr said:
Anyway, here's a rendering of what I think you're getting talking about for the lens nut:

You have the lens turned the wrong way.... ;)

Anyway, i meant that the bottom of the lens nut would be narrower and unthreaded, so that it could go deeper into the module, over the unthreaded area...

The problem is if someone has an expensive diode like the 6x in a DX module that isn't threaded.. That would probably suck.

IgorT said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1212842385/600#619 date=1226368023]How long ago did DX change suppliers? I ask this because I have some DX modules from May or so, and it looks like the threads go all the way down. I used a DX module (old style?) in my Sonar laser, so it would be a hassle to change it out.

May was all good, they had good modules back then. If the threads extend down to the bottom, the module is fine..

I gave this warning a couple of time. But like i said, it may not matter with custom lens nuts. But a universal fit has to be ensured.[/quote]
Once again, Thank you IgorT.

I'll be using mine in the kryton groove bodies so I'm guessing they're sized for aixiz lens nuts.

rkcstr

IgorT said:
You have the lens turned the wrong way.... ;)

Anyway, i meant that the bottom of the lens nut would be narrower and unthreaded, so that it could go deeper into the module, over the unthreaded area...

Lens orientation fixed. Shows how much I really know about optics :D

Anyway, yes, I understood you wanted the non-threaded portion at the bottom, like what I show, where the bottom extends far enough down, without threading (and narrower) so that it can extend farther in. Also, the lens would be mounted high enough so that the non-threaded portion would "hit bottom" before the lens would hit the diode can... obviously, that exact depth would need to be figured out for the longest possible can (how bout the 4x diode reds :p).

Just chiming in to say thanks Igor, it seems that somehow you are simultaneously in every thread on this forum. Like all the others I am intrigued and amazed by your findings. I would be interested in 2 of the 405nm coated lenses, and possibly one of the higher-wavelength lenses.

WOO!

IgorT

Hehe, yeah, now it's exactly how i imagined it! Thanks, this saves me some time! :D

The protection part is what i'm unsure of so far. It would be a good thing to have, but we are talking about BFLs so short here, that a protective extension long enough for an open can could prevent the lens coming in focus for a blu ray.. Not likelly, but it's something i have to think about.

What makes it worse is, that each wavelength has a different FL. :-/

rkcstr

Here's a slightly modified version that actually has the diode chamber in cross section as well (didn't realize I did the lens portion in cross-section, but left the diode portion not sectioned).

Also, I'm not sure if its poor tolerance in the machining of the Aixiz module or lens (it happens with either the acrylic or glass lens), but I notice a lot of "slop" in the thread... meaning the lens can wiggle, which causes the beam to shift a small amount. This is a real pain in the ass if you're trying to combine two beams. So, any ideas if that can be fixed with a custom nut?

It's a closed long can (dilda can)  :D

lensnut2.jpg

Kenom

The only thing I know of that fixes the wobble in the lens is a spring on the bottom side of the lens. Yes it makes it so that the lens doesn't fit all the way down but it provides some tension against the lens.

Ideally, it would be best to have the lens threaded a bit tighter but I have a tap specifically the same size and when I tap the threads it just makes it looser. The only thing I can think of is machine them just a smidgen above 9mm and that should solve the problem. Thread pitch has to remain the same regardless.

It's possible to take a wire brush to my threads prior to inserting a lens and it might be a good fit. As it sits now it's a VERY VERY tight fit and only a glass lens with the metal threads can survive being threaded into my barrels without being damaged prior to tapping the threads.

I've no doubt whatsoever that we will come up with the solution.

IgorT

I was thinking about the wobble. It's quite annoying. Like Kenom said, the spring is there to minimise it, but i have seen people use teflon tape on metal lens nuts, because it annoys them...

So because of that i fear i will see teflon tape on the custom lenses before long.. :-/

I really have no idea how to fix this safelly without endangering the fit. If we make it too tight, it may not fit all modules, or any at all.

But i just realized two things..

1. The spring will offer some protection from the lens going in too deep. If the lens nut has a protective extension, there is no room for the spring! Unless of course the lens nut was made narrow enough at the bottom for the spring to go around it. But then the diameter could be too low for the lens...

2. Due to the short FL, the lens nut will be deeper in the module than usual. That means that the spring is more compressed, offering more counterforce, and that the lens nut contacts the module with a much larger thread surface area. Both stabilises it a lot.

I just tested with a metal lens nut, in a module, where the threads extend to the bottom. The spring does stop it at a certain depth, and even without a spring, at the same depth the metal lens nut is more stable...

But the latter requires the lens nut to be fully threaded. If the bottom section is left unthreaded in order for it to work in the low quality DX modules, the wobble will return even tho it will be deeper!

So making it compatible with the cheap DX modules might make it less stable.. :(
It would actually be beneficial to have it fully threaded. It would also be a simpler design, and possibly cheaper.

Which bings me back to: Is anyone using the latest DX modules, from the last two or three months? I really hope you all read the warnings and didn't put any expensive diode in there..... I've been avoiding DX modules like the plague for the last few months, just because of this.

Danjoo

I plan to make a Yellow pointer.

And iam think about this wobbling in the 9mm treads.

I think i will use a stronger custom made spring to fix the wobbling, combined with teflon tape maybe.

But a stronger spring is only good for staticly fixed projekts, because the abrasion will be higher with stronger spring.

Eventually a oring in the tread makes the wobbling less.

Like on this Lens Nut.

Attachments

• lensoring.jpg
    lensoring.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69

IgorT

PostOfficeBuddy said:
Just chiming in to say thanks Igor, it seems that somehow you are simultaneously in every thread on this forum. Like all the others I am intrigued and amazed by your findings. I would be interested in 2 of the 405nm coated lenses, and possibly one of the higher-wavelength lenses.

WOO!

That's strange, because except for a few threads i barelly even have time to follow the forum.. :(

Just to clear one thing up. There won't be two types of coatings. We could afford two types with any of the first six lenses, but not with these. Luckily these have a broadband coating, which is very good at just around 405nm and 660nm. I did a comparison with a lens coated specifically for 405nm, and there is less than one percent of a difference, resulting from the difference in reflections.

So the broadband is more than just good enough, especially since as it is, the lens brings more of an increase than expected. When i thought the number would be under 20%, 0.8% more could bring it a bit closer.... But we are over 20% even for diodes with the lowest losses in acrylics.

And if one lens can do both, it's both cheaper, less complicated and more practical for everyone...

So we will have one universal lens instead of two. There is no need to specify the coating, because the best lens so far comes with a 400-700nm coating. Basically, everyone just needs to figure out how many they want. They will work with any visible wavelength diode, reducing reflections to less than 1% on average and even less with reds and blu rays...

Zom-B

I use genuine AixiZ modules only (and bullet lasers which happen to flawlessly take in AixiZ lenses extracted fron the nut, but that's another story)

I think preventing wobble is far more important as even plastic nuts have a wobble already bad enough to change the focus distance between infinity and one feet when you press the nut down without turning it (with spring).

I also think that it is not impossible to use a spring with a nut that extends to the bottom. The spring contracts to approx 3mm and the internal diameter is 5.8mm If you cut the spring in half and did it this way, it might work:

nutdiagram.png

(everything in real dimensions, even the AixiZ head, except the actual lens though :p)

As a side note, on the bullet laser pointers, I've used wax to prevent wobble (lens nut was brass, as was the housing). I haven't tried this on aixiz yet though as I often focus, switch or remove lenses (which was not that easy with the bullet pointers so I used additional lenses which nicely stuck to the round tip)

IgorT said:
[quote author=PostOfficeBuddy link=1212842385/620#628 date=1226375654]Just chiming in to say thanks Igor, it seems that somehow you are simultaneously in every thread on this forum. Like all the others I am intrigued and amazed by your findings. I would be interested in 2 of the 405nm coated lenses, and possibly one of the higher-wavelength lenses.

WOO!

That's strange, because except for a few threads i barelly even have time to follow the forum.. :(

[/quote]
I get the same feeling too.. that you're all over the place at once.

Nice idea of the o-rings though, haven't thought of that.

IgorT

Danjoo said:
Like on this Lens Nut.

Problem is, lenses have a different FL for different wavelengths... For 405nm, the same lens has to be closer to the diode, than for 660nm.

If the o-ring was in a fixed position, i would either work for a red, and prevent parallel focus with a blu ray, or it would work for a blu ray and wobble for a red. And it only povides good support in one position, which would have to be carefully calculated for parallel focus. And if then someone has a diode that is not inserted fully or a slightly different module, it can lead to problems.

Most modules just use a spring. The best lens nut fit so far i saw in a Meredith module. There the threads are much bigger, and the spring is really strong. But it feels just perfect, it has the right amount of resistance and is still smooth enough, and the stiffness is important for short FL lenses.

But i fear a fit as good as that is impossible with an M9x0.5 lens nut..

I will have to send some modules along with the plans to the manufacturer, in order to make 100% sure the lens nuts fit well.. Possibly with one of the multi element glass lenses as an example.

Forgive my humor....... ppl mentioning that Igor seems to be all over the forum threads reminded me of a line in the movie "Badder Santa": "you sit there with the dead lice falling off you, then your all over the place like Sea Biscuit! ARE YOU F**KING WITH ME?????" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry.....couldn't help myself. ::)

Ted

IgorT

I don't know this movie... :-?

Very funny movie if you ever get the chance to see it. However, you seem to be an extremely busy man and most likely don't have time for movies. That being said, i would like to thank you for all the time consuming testing you are doing. You da man!! ;)

Ted