Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W MCU-C88 Q5 26650 Host

DTR

2W MCU-C88 Q5 26650 Host

xv6yqP.jpg

It has been a long time waiting for this unit to be finished and I am very excited as this is definitely the new prize of my collection.

Alright so here we go. In my searching for 3XAA hosts that will accept a 26650 I came across this sweet looking unit from Ultrafire. It is the Cree MCU-C88 Q5 LED Flashlight Torch. I think it was about $40 so I had to order it up.:eg:

2vnlus2.jpg

I have to say when I got it I was extremely impressed with the quality of this unit. Solid feel, great construction and one of the sweetest flashlight I have seen to date. This host is certainly on par with the quality of the RL-2088 and I am going to call it Franky Jr.:yh:

productimg1286860287850.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the host notice the fins on the head, the amazing looking stainless steel retaining ring and the sweet grooves on the tailcap.

ultrafiremcuc88ledalumi.png

So I hit up Jayrob and let him know what I had and what I was looking for. Of course he was very enthusiastic about another "Epic Build" as he called it so I got it sent off to him.

He started out by pulling out the pill and seeing what it needed to get it ready.

C88%201.jpg

When you look you can see the positive contact point for the battery is press fit into the back of the pill with the old driver inside. You can remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers to expose the driver board.

C88%202.jpg

Now I wanted to have an area to sink dual flexdrives and Jay did a great job machining flat the top of the pill for me to use. This provides a large flat surface with direct contact with the host body for heat dissipation.

C88%203.jpg

Then finally he made this massive heatsink for this unit to keep this poor little diode from overheating.:beer:

NukdDA.jpg

This heatsink really fits like a glove. Literally when you put it in with a module in it you can feel the air having a hard time escaping as you try to push it down. Great contact with the host body.:eg:

bml1.jpg

Assembly

So here is the break down of what the build consists of. A heatsink, head, body, tailcap and retaining ring. Also shown is the 26650 4000mAh battery. You will also need two flexdrives, thermal adhesive, a diode, and an aixiz module.;)

p1014658.jpg

I started by stripping my wire from the host and preparing a couple of flex drives set to 900mA each.:D

As you can see the pill has two wires for both positive and negative with that wonderful wire from Flaminpryo. That way I have a separate line going to each of the drivers.

lgt6a.jpg

Once I had the drivers wired up I got out my thermal adhesive and sinked them to the top of the pill.

d005.jpg

Next I combined the two drivers output wires and soldered them to a diode.

KSx9Zj.jpg

Screwed the head back on.

kr7b.jpg

Put the module in the heatsink.

a8l9.jpg

Screwed the stainless steel ring down and put in a lens. Now this unit was pretty sweet but looking at it I thought the cavity where the retaining ring was a little deep and started thinking about a focus adapter to make focusing a little easier.

wh2b3.jpg

So I sent the head of the unit out to Flaminpryo and asked him to make a focus adapter that is second to none. I wanted the aggressive look of the units with the drilled holes but I also wanted the glow of the tritium vials. It took a bit to get the vials but it was well worth the wait. And here is what he sent me.

kgu8a.jpg

The vials looks so sweet in the dark it is hard to get a good picture of them that shows how cool they actually are.

3zmb.jpg

The vials are also recessed so they are less likely to be damaged by impact.

5boh.jpg

It screws into the head with ease.

5hxt.jpg

The adapter has a perfect fit over the retaining ring. It literally looks a part of the unit.

yNTMrX.jpg

Host Shots

Here are a few shots of the unit for your viewing pleasure.:D

bm0n.jpg

ZxnVXB.jpg

2dib.jpg

p1014608.jpg

Adjcfx.jpg

dvobx.jpg

Beam Shots

Here are some over glorified long exposure shots of the beam.:eg:

odxl.jpg

xqc0.jpg

q2n9.jpg

fBc4qe.jpg

xxfiar.jpg

p2ok.jpg

LPM TEST:eg:

Here is the LPM test taken with a 405-G-1 lens.

MZOvpk.jpg

Here is a running video with a 405-G-1.

Final Thoughts

I want to give a big thanks to Jayrob and Flaminpryo for making this unit a reality. This thing is down right sick. It took almost two months to get everything together for this build and I must say it was well worth the wait. This unit has such an aggressive look, feels extremely solid, utilizes a massive 4000mAh battery and is such a quality host. This make it a perfect unit in my book. Can anybody say Host of the Year 2011.:D

Thanks for reading my review If you would like to see more please check my tutorial compilation page linked in my sig.:beer:​

Last edited:

Damn, that focus ring with the tritium vials is an awesome touch. As always great work to you and FP.

Yet another SWEET build!
The Tritium Focusing head is the icing on the cake for sure.:D

2063 max with the lens too....LOL you ARE pushing these things to the limit!
:beer::beer::beer:

Now make a build where a separate beam comes out all 13 holes...:eg:

But really, great work as always.:beer:

Seriously, that is one mean MoFo, I'm just wondering what you're gonna do next !!!
Fantastic job to everyone involved :gj:

jayrob

Wow...

That one word says it all, but yes, I can say 'host of the year 2011' as well! :gj: (as usual)

Flaminpyro's focusing tip is totally awesome...

Last edited:
Very nice, but I did not get to make anything for it.:cryyy:

DTR

Very nice, but I did not get to make anything for it.:cryyy:

That's what Mohrenberg said. Sorry guys got to spread the love around a little. I still have a few balls in the air with both of your names on it.;)

Nice Build as always. Is this host like a cousin to the Frankenstein host you did. It resembles it.:)

I like how this one has curves to it, it makes it look even more sexier.;)

Edit:
Where did you get a battery that big.:eek: Battery probably last forever.

Last edited:

DTR

Thanks guys. I am more and more pleased with this unit as time goes on.:D

Where did you get a battery that big.:eek: Battery probably last forever.

I have several places I have ordered these batteries from but my favorite is batteryspace.com.

And if you think the 26650 4000mAh has some serious capacity then check out these.:eg:

p1014443.jpg

Tonga

This thing is amazing and I'm not surprised to hear that Jay and Flaminpyro are involved. You guys, all of you Mohrenberg and Ehgemus are phenomenal. Don't you need like a license to operate this thing. Very nice DTR you guys are great!
I have a Surefire M6 that with the Xenon bulbs is pretty useless IMO now with the high output LEDs. This is probably where I should go with it!

Last edited: