Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

27000 Hours

RIP 52000 Hours: April 15, 2010 - March 28, 2016

Three years and a month ago, I hooked up a Sure Electronics 5mW red laser module up to a 4.5V wall wart power supply to do a longevity test.

Link to module: 5mW 650nm Red Laser Module Metal Body (DC-LP001)_Laser Pens and Pointers_LED Components_Display and Lightings_Sure Electronics' Webstore

The module has been running nearly continuously for 27000 hours now. The only times that it has been turned off was during power outages.

attachment.php

Pretty cool to see first hand how long these things can last!

EDIT: This laser is still running as of May 2014! That's over four years!

EDIT 2: Still going 5 years later!!

As of March 28, 2016, this experiment has come to an end. I woke up that morning and no longer saw that familiar red glow on the wall. :( The transformer still works and the diode is outputting a tiny bit of red light. This was a cool experiment!
April 15, 2010 - March 28, 2016. 52000 hours

Attachments

• surered.JPG
    surered.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,376
Last edited:

I gave up watching the video of this test after a few days--

Also I think you need to start over due to the power outages!!

FROM the maker--

Duty/rest cycle

3 years on
one hour off--

lmfao
:crackup:

+3

Yep since there was power outages you have to start all over again :crackup:

How about a battery supply to bridge the power outages :thinking:

drake, i'm curious why you chose today to post this. i have visions of you stumbling upon it still running after about a year or 3 of not thinking about it:thinking:

Gun

Haha that's awesome! I did not think it would be able to last that long :p

Last edited:
drake, i'm curious why you chose today to post this. i have visions of you stumbling upon it still running after about a year or 3 of not thinking about it:thinking:

I just moved back to my parents' house for the summer. I saw the little dot on the wall when I went back to my old room and figured I should post this. :D

IsaacT

Haha you should pay them some money for the damn electric bill hahahaha +1 for sure! Aren't diodes rated for like 5000 hours typically? I guess since the current is so low it just goes forever....

norbyx

Amazing ... if I left a laser on in my mothers home, it would have lasted 1 day at the best. As soon as she would have walked inside the room and seen the laser it would have been unplugged....
Thanks for sharing.

IsaacT

Styro's mom -- Isn't Styro coming home this week?
Styro's dad -- Yeah. He'll be here Thursday
Styro's mom -- I guess I better plug that laser thingy back in before he gets here

Peace,
dave

:crackup: Niceeee....

PS! 1990th post! Year I was born!

Last edited:
Styro's mom -- I guess I better plug that laser thingy back in before he gets here

Peace,
dave

lol :D

Haha you should pay them some money for the damn electric bill hahahaha +1 for sure! Aren't diodes rated for like 5000 hours typically? I guess since the current is so low it just goes forever....
This setup has not used much electricity. :D Most laser diodes are rated for 10000 hours.

Peace,
dave

I guess that explains why this has lasted so long! :)