Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

150mW blue diode - 50$

mfo

No problem. I realized the one thing I might not've stressed enough is that sometimes it does seem to mme that it's a language barrier issue, so that's why I speak up at times.

I guess I just hate seeing language barriers influence people's opinions of others; and it does seem to be a a language issue at times, since it seems to often be Asian/Japanese scientists using that particular terminology.

So no sweat,it's just one of those interesting things I can share.

Do you think someone will ever try to use UV lasers to write to disks instead of bluray lasers? I wonder what's going to eventually render bluray obsolete...

The internet is what will render Blu-Ray obsolete. Or maybe the shear cheapness and speed of flash memory like in SD memory cards.

I don't see optical media progressing any further in wavelength than violet, because by the time that becomes necessary or viable, ISPs (even wireless ones on WiMax or LTE possibly) are going to be at least VERY close to delivering HD movies streamable over the air. If you can just stream the content wirelessly, or even over a cable from your internet provider, then why buy a disk? Cloud storage of movies that you've purchased, or local storage on your hard drive in media PCs.

That's where I see things heading, that the download speeds are going to surpass the point where it's necessary to have disks.

That, or the other option is how fast flash memory is growing and getting cheaper. I could possibly imagine a scenario where you buy a flash memory card with the movie loaded on it and pop it into your media center PC or what have you. But even with that, increased internet bandwidth for streaming will eventually win out, I think.

daguin

The internet is what will render Blu-Ray obsolete. Or maybe the shear cheapness and speed of flash memory like in SD memory cards.

I don't see optical media progressing any further in wavelength than violet, because by the time that becomes necessary or viable, ISPs (even wireless ones on WiMax or LTE possibly) are going to be at least VERY close to delivering HD movies streamable over the air. If you can just stream the content wirelessly, or even over a cable from your internet provider, then why buy a disk? Cloud storage of movies that you've purchased, or local storage on your hard drive in media PCs.

That's where I see things heading, that the download speeds are going to surpass the point where it's necessary to have disks.

That, or the other option is how fast flash memory is growing and getting cheaper. I could possibly imagine a scenario where you buy a flash memory card with the movie loaded on it and pop it into your media center PC or what have you. But even with that, increased internet bandwidth for streaming will eventually win out, I think.

Are you saying that someday my ZipDrive will be obsolete? :wtf:

Peace,
dave

mfo

Are you saying that someday my ZipDrive will be obsolete? :wtf:

Peace,
dave

Wtf happened to your rep power? o_O

@PBD: I guess you're right, minus the flash cards. They seem to fail sometimes, plus can only be read x amount of times I believe? While I believe that number is in the thousands, still what if it's a really good film? :p

Edit: Hmm, seems everyone's rep has gone down?

Things

Nichia also sell the 445nm diode in 500mW and 1W flavors. Though, don't bother asking them a price :p

daguin

Sorry, what is a "ZipDrive" ? ..... i'm only 47 years old :whistle: ..... (J/K :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:)

You should have yours stored stored on your shelf, just like I do, right next to your Betamax video tapes and your 8-track audio tapes. I've found that one of the best ways to protect them is to wrap them up in your polyester jump suits.

Now . . . . where was my walker?

Peace,
dave

laserdiy.com is full of fail. I am glad that we are all in agreement on that. I especially like the diode without image or description. If I had the money I'd buy one if only to alleviate the mystery for everyone else.

HIMNL9

Uhm, let me try to say it diplomatically :)p)

If i overload my GGW, with a decent heatsink, i'm sure i can push out from it 350mW ..... for some second :D

That what lack in these descriptions, imho, is just all the data that we need for understand what exactly they're selling ..... ;)

D

Deleted member 16589

I saw where it said this on that page Build Your own Vibrant Blue Laser, you only need this diode and a driver circuit. Works with kipkays blue laser hack.

so i watched the video and it looked blue but i was not sure so wrote kipkay and asked him if the diode was blue or violet and he wrote back
"it BLU"
that's all he said

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such an animal as a true (blue) laser diode right now. closest is a 405nm which is long-wave UV to violet laser.
True blue lasers are YAG based pumped via IR diode and are VERY expensive.

There is no such an animal as a true (blue) laser diode right now. closest is a 405nm which is long-wave UV to violet laser.
True blue lasers are YAG based pumped via IR diode and are VERY expensive.

There is absolutely such a thing, just not any being mass-manufactured. Laser diodes have been produced from UV all the way up to 531nm, UV to green (and then there are red to IR range diodes, naturally; the gap in available laser diodes right now is from 531nm up to around 620nm).

Blue diodes are available as engineering samples from several companies up into at least the ~480nm range (maybe higher in wavelength if you inquire very seriously). They're also being produced in research labs every day. They're just not being mass-produced, so they're expensive.