Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x Murder Fund! + Graph!

Krutz

Re: 12x Murder Fund! (Complete!)

..thanks for the info! wouldnt have thought! *OH can be nasty as well, but are easier to come by for sure! ..not sure if thats good or bad, though ;-)

manuel

IgorT

I am happy to report, that today i received a "Replacement for defective photodiode (in mount) - $2 USD".. :crackup:
Looks like Dave has our customs figured out by now.... :evil:

Now i just need the Modwerx heatsink, and i can start the 12x Murder experiment!
Hopefully it's not far behind!

P.S. Now there is a VERY tough decision in front of us...
What current do we kill the "replacement photo-diode" at? :undecided:

I need to plot the diode (as well as re-plot the 12x diode from the Plextor drive), but i would like to sleep through a night for a change, so expect the plots tomorrow morning...

I'll explain our options about the testing in as much detail as i can, so we can hopefully make a good decision together...

daguin

I am happy to report, that today i received a "Replacement for defective photodiode (in mount) - $2 USD".. :crackup:
Now i just need the Modwerx heatsink, and i can start the 12x Murder experiment!
I need to plot the diode (as well as re-plot the 12x diode from the Plextor drive), but i would like to sleep through a night for a change, so expect the plots tomorrow morning...
I'll explain our options about the testing in as much detail as i can, so we can hopefully make a good decision together...

To sleep . . . .perchance to dream . . . .

Someday they are going to ask why we pay $13 to ship a $2 item :wtf:

Now THAT'S customer service :crackup:

Peace,
dave

mfo

Sweet. Just make a poll Igor. I personally would like to see how high this thing can be pushed.

420mA came to mind. Does 420mA sound too high?

Last edited:

jayrob

More like 360 or 380 I would guess is a good spot...

Igor;

Assuming the 12X BR is 320mw (from Nichia, Sony & Sharp press releases),

the same 50% over rated pulse power (261ma) as used on the 8X test protocol,

would equal 392 ma.

But, the 8X diode looks like it will last >200 hours at that level.

That would indicate a higher current level .... if you are looking for a fifty hour lifetime.

If we raise that level by 10%, that would be 430 ma .

LarryDFW

Reference Post:
Blu-Ray Diode Test Current Levels for long life

Last edited:

Or test 2 12x at the same time, at different ma's? (e.g one at 380 and another at 420)

HIMNL9

Apart the thing that, at the moment, i think there's only one 12X to torture til death :p , maybe keep it a bit more conservative, say 400mA, for have a good series of plots and data about how much it can survive with this current, can be a good idea ..... and, maybe, the time another 12X came to the inquisition tribunal :p , (hoping that in the meantime the prices get a little bit low), can also be done a second serie of tests with a current a bit higher, for see if the tendence of the curves is linear, and what last at more current ..... but, being this the first one that we can "squeeze" for the first tests, i personally suggest to use it for test a bit more the life expectance, than the maximum power .....

Oh, maybe the cycle can be reduced like 30 seconds on - 30 seconds off, if IgorT want, just for have a more similar life cycle of the common use (frequent on-off times, as someone said) ..... keeping the temperature under control, too .....

I will have to agree with Jay, if we will only kill one I think it should be testes @380 (but that's just me being conservative)
What I would like (since we are already gonna kill one) is to kill 2, maybe we should get another fund up :whistle:
That way we can test 2 at the same time and have useful results.

But that is just my opinion, I do not have as much knowledge at the subject as some others in this forum, but its is just my thoughts

P.S There is nothing more than i would like than a 500mw or 600mw (or 700 even) 405 :eg:
P.S2 That would not die!

I agree with the 380ma mark. Are there going to be any readings for forward voltage? I figure that could be important as well to help determine what kind of driver others could buy to drive a 12x.

I agree with the 380ma mark. Are there going to be any readings for forward voltage? I figure that could be important as well to help determine what kind of driver others could buy to drive a 12x.

Igor always plots Vf as well. He does a lot of work for us :)

ZRTMWA

Why not live dangerously with 450ma? If yobresal's got his 8x at 440ma, I don't see why a more efficient diode couldn't be tested higher. Especially if you at least want to shorten the test to less than 200 hours.

Krutz

8x diodes run at 360 to 370mA routinely, according to francorob's tables. i would like to see 400mA at least, on this 12x one!

more general question (for both the 8x and 12x test) for the people who financed these candidates: test for runtime (100h+) or max power (10h-20h)?

for me:

8x: 1 runtime, 1 power
12x: power

or in other words: turn em up! :)

oh, and: proceed with the second 8x diode or the 12x diode? or leave the first 8x diode off for now, and test the second 8x and the 12x?

manuel

As far as i know, the correct term is "hydrofluoridric acid" in English (and "acido idrofluoridrico" in Italian) ..... and yes, the chemical is HF ..... as i've said, i'm not a specialized chemical worker, and the only acid i know that is used for etching glass, is this one.

Don't know about "hydrofluoric", maybe a typo ? ..... i doubt that is a different substance, cause also this word is related to HF chemical name ..... anyway, there's no correspondent correct "idrofluorico" word in Italian, also if i have seen used also it, in some articles ..... anyway, in these articles, the writer was indicating other substances with wrong names ..... as example, "perclorico" (percloric) for "perclorato" (perclorate) ..... "idroclorico" (hydrocloric) for "idrocloridrico" (hydrocloridric) ..... and so on, so, i'm pretty sure that this writer need more a course of Italian language, than a course of chemistry (and the worse thing is that the writer is Italian :p)

Never heard "hydrofluordic", anyway :p

I believe in spanish it is "ácido fluorhídrico".
Anyway.
It is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water. And I'm 99% sure it is hydrofluoric acid for etching, as hydrogen fluoride can dissolve many ceramics, metals and oxides of metals.

Also: Are you going to use some kind of icebox design as a heat-dissipation solution? it seems like it would be safer to use peltier plates for such an expensive diode than just metal.

Last edited: