Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x Murder Fund! + Graph!

Re: 12x Murder Fund! (Complete!)

I've had somebody report that they dropped their laser and it knocked the module loose

Of course it must have dropped into a tool box because there were marks from a pair of pliers on it ;)

And it must have hit the pot because the current was turned up to 400mA :shhh:

Peace,
dave

LOL :D
I smell a fraudster
I think customs might have tried to take apart my o-like... :whistle:
lol j/k

I've had somebody report that they dropped their laser and it knocked the module loose

Of course it must have dropped into a tool box because there were marks from a pair of pliers on it ;)

And it must have hit the pot because the current was turned up to 400mA :shhh:

Peace,
dave

lol Igor told me about a very similar situation, lol. Probably same one. Was it one of those lasers built with "high quality parts"?

IgorT

I just finished setting up and testing the second counter setup. :yh:

Here it is, with it's control panel, a pic i took during testing:

attachment.php

This counter is a "little" more complex than the first one. It has a number of functions we don't really need, but i had to build the entire control panel around it, just to disable all those functions, that would actually make it not work properly...

Anyway, now i just need to rearrange the torture chamber a little bit, to make room for this second counter and the 12x with it's sensor, and the torture can begin! :evil:

Attachments

• Counter #2 w. Control Panel.JPG
    Counter #2 w. Control Panel.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 451

Quisp

Have you decided on a current setting for this 12x experiment?

360mA sounds like a nice "even" number...;)

I was thinking about a little higher on this one, like maybe 400mA.

Igor is extremely knowledgeable and I'll agree with whatever current he recommends.

IgorT

12x's seem to be quite different from 8x's in several aspects. Unlike most higher power diodes, these have a LOWER Ith (instead of higher, as is usual for higher power diodes), as well as a MUCH higher slope efficiency, than most 8x's (comparable to freak 8x's or even higher).

Because of this, i believe we need to decide on a POWER to test, not a current. And this power might be reached at currents that could seem "low" by 8x standards (but the power won't be).

At 360mA 12x's produce approximatelly 500-560mW.. But these are powers we're already capable of reaching with 8x's. However with 8x's it may not turn out to be very reliable, while i would be willing to set a 12x to 500mW+ for a buyer (with an 8x i'd rather stick closer to 400mW - but that's because i'm a little obsessed with reliability from my real work)...

Now at this point, we do not yet know how well 8x's do at 360mA. But i think we will soon.

However we won't know one thing - how high efficiency 8x's compare to 12x's, because it would require sacrificing a rare freak 8x diode. :undecided:

In any case, i would absolutelly love to test the reliability of 12x's at 500mW+, perhaps even close to 550mW, but i would like to hear from others what your expectations for 12x's are - what kind of power you would like to see from 12x's (realistic please :angel:)....

Something to consider: IF 12x's are as pliable as 8x's when it comes to overdriving - 500mW for an 8x is like 600mW for a 12x. But as i said, we don't know how reliable 500mW is for 8x's yet...

We do know, that 8x's seem to handle 300mA rather well - a current, where on average they produce 400-420mW...

Since 12x's are rated for 1.2 times as much power, that could mean that they would be reliable at 480mW-500mW...

So, what is 400mW for an 8x should be similar to 480mW for a 12x.
What is 500mW for an 8x should be similar to 600mW for a 12x!

But to be honest, 600mW sounds kinda scary.

Anyway, i need to hear some ideas for this experiment, because i am completelly clueless here. With 8x's at least we had some background. Here, we are stabbing in the dark.

I really hope we don't stab too deep, and find a good "sweet-spot" for these new diodes...

Dusty

12x's seem to be quite different from 8x's in several aspects. Unlike most higher power diodes, these have a LOWER Ith (instead of higher, as is usual for higher power diodes), as well as a MUCH higher slope efficiency, than most 8x's (comparable to freak 8x's or even higher).

Because of this, i believe we need to decide on a POWER to test, not a current. And this power might be reached at currents that could seem "low" by 8x standards (but the power won't be).

In any case, i would absolutelly love to test the reliability of 12x's at 500mW+, perhaps even close to 550mW, but i would like to hear from others what your expectations for 12x's are - what kind of power you would like to see from 12x's (realistic please :angel:)....

I really hope we don't stab too deep, and find a good "sweet-spot" for these new diodes...

I agree with your idea of testing a set power with the 12x rather than testing a set current. If I were buying a 12x I would like to see around 500-550 mW from it(at least). Anything under 500 mW would seem a little dissapointing given that these powers can be achieved from 8x pretty easily. So in my opinion this would be a good place to start testing. It would be very nice if the 12x could reliably output 600+mW, but this does seem pretty high...my vote is 550 mW for the 12x 'test'...:whistle:

HIMNL9

I just finished setting up and testing the second counter setup. :yh:

Here it is, with it's control panel, a pic i took during testing:

attachment.php

This counter is a "little" more complex than the first one. It has a number of functions we don't really need, but i had to build the entire control panel around it, just to disable all those functions, that would actually make it not work properly...

I still don't see from where the coffee comes out ..... j/k :p

Good work, imho :thanks:

BTW, i may suggest to test the 12X not over 550mW, for this first item, keeping track of current and efficency degradation ..... i mean, setting it as, example, 550mW, then keeping the current constant, and see the degradation rate of the diode, compared with the one of the 8X that you're testing, not just for see if it can hold the current, but also if it have a different crystal geometry or coating, if these difference incides also in the degradation curve ..... no reason for have a diode at 700mW in a host, if the degradation curve at this power let it lase just 20 hours :p ..... i'm a conservative person, more or less ..... if i have to choose between 700 mW for 20 hours, and 550 for 200 hours, guess what i choose ? ..... (after all, if i want just to burn something, i can always use a lighter :p :D )

And, after all, if we want a second set of data about 600 / 700 mW, i suppose we can always make a second murder fund collection :D

Last edited:

Krutz

i agree to all the above, and vote for 550mW too!

manuel

I vote for 500mA. Also, My laserbee is in the mail now so I will have power measurements for my 423mA 8X as well as my 440mA 8X in a week or so. My 440mA 8X has just gone over 1 hours worth of use with many On/Offs.

Quisp

...Because of this, i believe we need to decide on a POWER to test, not a current. And this power might be reached at currents that could seem "low" by 8x standards (but the power won't be).

At 360mA 12x's produce approximatelly 500-560mW..

Since 12x's are rated for 1.2 times as much power, that could mean that they would be reliable at 480mW-500mW...

Anyway, i need to hear some ideas for this experiment, because i am completelly clueless here. With 8x's at least we had some background. Here, we are stabbing in the dark.

I agree with your idea of testing a set power with the 12x rather than testing a set current. If I were buying a 12x I would like to see around 500-550 mW from it(at least). Anything under 500 mW would seem a little dissapointing given that these powers can be achieved from 8x pretty easily. So in my opinion this would be a good place to start testing. It would be very nice if the 12x could reliably output 600+mW, but this does seem pretty high...my vote is 550 mW for the 12x 'test'...:whistle:

^Agreed^

I currently have a 12x BDR-205 laser set at a seemingly "conservative" current of 360mA producing 465mW.
If your experimentation provides evidence that these 12x diodes can be powered up "safely" to 500-600mW+ levels, that would be cool indeed...:D

Igor:

The 8X diode looks like it will last >200 hours at 150% of pulse power current level.

If you are looking for a fifty hour lifetime from the 12X ....
that would indicate a higher current level.

From Nichia BR chart on 12X pulse power = 260ma ...

times 150% overdrive level on 8X = 390ma

If we raise that current level by 10%, that would be 430 ma .

That should be ~ 565 mw

LarryDFW

Last edited:

550mW is my vote too, and a second murder might be a good idea